Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A victory for the boycott

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:23 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 328 Total Views

When most people think of where I live,(Memphis, TN) they think of Elvis, Rock n roll, home of the blues, etc. However, here in Memphis we have 2 main shopping malls that have Body Shops in them. When L'oreal officially bought the body shop I received an event invite to a PROTEST outside both malls. I went to one of the malls while the protests were occurring, I didn't participate, but I shook the hands of all the protesters and told them how great a job they were doing. In the course of 6 months BOTH not one but BOTH of the Body Shops in Memphis are GONE!

I knew by the crowds of natural/crunchy types coming and going in Whole Foods (where I used to work) that Memphis had a population of Nestle boycotters somewhere but I had no idea that their base went so deeply that they could shut down both of the Nestle owned companies in less than 6 months! I was shocked, pleased and moved.

These events have truly strengthened my beliefs that small groups of people can make big differences. We may never see the complete downfall of the Nestle company, but in small forces like this we can see them suffer for their crimes against humanity. I do what I can to avoid Nestle products at all costs and to spread the word about their malicious actions against babies and water supplies. I truly believe that in our efforts to alienate this corporate giant will pay off. Even though in doing so we forgo the yummyness of Butterfingers and Sweettarts.

Thank you Christie for turning me on to such a noble and moving cause. I'm sure I speak for most of us in the group that without you and your boundless knowledge we would not even know about the evils of the Nestle company, much less have the where with all to accomplish the boycott for ourselves and our families.

Small actions can turn into BIG success!

Aaa_thumb

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
rozepyle
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:31 AM

we used to allow 1 nestle product a week up until a year ago when we decided against any at all, its hard but DOABLE and thats what i convince as many people as i can to do so :) i was starting to feel alone in the nestle war, lately i have been getting a lot of negativity about my "views" towards formula, parenthesis because its not a view its a fact but people simply WILL not face the truth. i had to post all the information i could find on how bad formula was and then leave the group, im not even going to troll replies at this point i just want them to be aware and hopefully next time there "choices" will be better. 

im so happy for your town thats amazing i wish in my state we could shut them down as well

soon!! 

rozepyle
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:34 AM

can you post this in other groups as well? maybe breastfeeding moms against formula, proud public breastfeeder? um... any others you can think of? the truth about infant formula?

RanaAurora
by Group Owner on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:04 PM

That's fantastic, Laura!

Luna Lovegoodhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RanaAurora/spellingisGOOD.gif
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)