Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

More evidence you can’t believe a word Nestle says

Posted by on May. 8, 2010 at 11:29 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 578 Total Views

http://www.phdinparenting.com/2010/05/08/more-evidence-you-cant-believe-a-word-nestle-says/

If there are still people who believe anything the Nestle executive told them at the Nestle Family event or anything them claim elsewhere, despite my analysis of the answers I received from Nestle, despite the ongoing work of Baby Milk Action’s Boycott Nestle Blog to expose Nestle’s lies, and despite a first person account of Nestle formula advertising seen in Ethiopia, maybe the photographic evidence I collected in Berlin today will change their mind.

I asked Nestle whether it markets any complementary foods (i.e. baby food, cereals, etc.) for babies under 6 months of age. Nestle answered that:

Nestlé fully supports the May 2001 WHA Resolution 54.2 which changed the recommended duration of exclusive breastfeeding from 4 – 6 month to 6 months, thereafter introducing complementary foods while recommending continued breast feeding for as long as possible. Thus we implement this resolution in the same way as we implement the WHO Code and we have completed label changes on complementary foods to follow the 6-months recommendation.

Today I was shopping at one of the largest dm Drogeriemarkt stores in Berlin. They have a huge baby food section, which includes a huge selection of Nestle Alete baby food. Most of the food (not just some of it, not just an exception, not just old stock, not just starter cereal even) was labelled as being appropriate to start at 4 months of age.

The food labeled as appropriate after 4 months included:

carrots and potatoes

Combinations of beef, carrot potato or pork, parsnips and potato.

Carrots, potatoes and chicken

Pears

Creamed spinach with potatoes (which includes whole milk as an ingredient)

Bananas, peaches and rice

Garden fruits

Beyond the photographic evidence, Nestle Alete’s German website clearly demonstrates that this isn’t just a labeling issue. In its information for parents on infant nutrition, the page on Stage 1, starting after 4 months, includes the following introduction:

ORIGINAL GERMAN: Strampeln, Strecken, Greifen – je aktiver Ihr Baby wird, desto mehr Energie braucht es. Ihre Muttermilch bzw. das Fläschchen bleibt zwar erstmal Nahrungsgrundlage. Doch nach dem 4. Monat genügt das allmählich nicht mehr, um Ihr Kleines mit allem Nötigen zu versorgen. So rückt der große Moment näher: Das erste Löffelchen!

ENGLISH TRANSLATION: Kicking, stretching, grabbing – the more active your baby gets, the more energy he needs. Your breast milk or infant formula continues to provide the basic nutrition for your baby. But starting at 4 months, it is no longer sufficient to provide your little one with everything he needs. That means the big moment is approaching: The first spoonful!

The labels and the website information makes it 100% clear that in Germany Nestle has not completed label changes on complementary foods to follow the 6-months recommendation or done anything else to demonstrate its support of the this recommendation. In fact, they continue to tell women that breastmilk is no longer sufficient after 4 months of age.

Not only does this show that they clearly do not support the WHO resolution changing the duration of exclusive breastfeeding to 6 months (despite their claim that they do), but it also calls into question whether you can believe anything else that they say. If they would and have lied about something that can be so easily verified by walking into any store selling Nestle baby food in Germany, what wouldn’t they lie about?

by on May. 8, 2010 at 11:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
TJFBGMommy
by New Member on May. 11, 2010 at 5:09 AM

I posted this on my FB page. I had a bunch of comments about how terrible it all was, how can they do that, etc...  Then when I said, so who will join the boycott. I didn't get a single reply.  I don't get it, Nestle is destroying lives, but so many people will only go as far as act outraged, anything more is just too much trouble.

RanaAurora
by Group Owner on May. 11, 2010 at 2:27 PM

People are a lot of talk, and very little action, sadly.

God forbid you don't buy Hot Pockets, you know?

rosesNclovers
by New Member on May. 13, 2010 at 1:08 PM

OMG! OMG! << That's what I was saying outloud, by myself at my computer.  And NOONE cares!!! Everyone is so selfish.  If it doesn't effect them why should they do anything about it? They don't live in Africa so they don't care.  DISGUSTING!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)