Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you do at Halloween?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:17 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 549 Total Views

For those of you who take your kids trick or treating, what do you do about the Nestle debacle?  I don't even know where to start... but don't want to keep my kids from having fun on Halloween because of this :(

Suggestions?

by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JMmama
by Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:25 AM
Anything we get from trick or treat we keep and eat. I figure they have already been bought and my kids are to little to "get" the boycott. Also, once a year I get the treats I kind of miss. When I buy candy for the trick or treaters I just take care to avoid Nestle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RanaAurora
by Group Owner on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Just don't buy it yourself.  Anything your kids get is already paid for so... eh.

curlycupcake
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Quoting RanaAurora:

Just don't buy it yourself.  Anything your kids get is already paid for so... eh.

This.  Once it's been purchased Nestles has thier money.  No sense in denying your kids treats on principle.  I was at a BBQ this weekend & the only water they had was Ozarka (owned by Nestles).  I didn't wan't to drink it, but again, no sense in dehydrating myslef on principle.  The money was spent so...

Family Breastfeeding
attachment parenting bf,cs,bw,cding mom... midwife Photobucket
go_romanovs
by New Member on Jun. 15, 2010 at 12:23 PM

well, it's a good idea to give that candy away to somebody that you know consumes them or buys them on a regular basis. That is one or whatever less purchase for them and less money going to Nestle. I do the same with the formula cans that end up in my mail - freecycle it but only to those who are already using this particular kind.

RanaAurora
by Group Owner on Jun. 15, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Good point.

Ati_13
by on Jun. 15, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Quoting go_romanovs:

well, it's a good idea to give that candy away to somebody that you know consumes them or buys them on a regular basis. That is one or whatever less purchase for them and less money going to Nestle. I do the same with the formula cans that end up in my mail - freecycle it but only to those who are already using this particular kind.

Good idea.  my daughter is only 2, and the baby will only be 2 1/2 months old at Halloween lol.  I don't know for sure if we're even going this year, but if we do, we can certainly get rid of the Nestle stuff without a fit happening.  Next year maybe not :S  How do you get your kids to be okay with giving their candy away?

go_romanovs
by New Member on Jun. 16, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Our rule is to only eat the candy right after the event. Next day it's all going away - it's been like this since they were little.

Sometimes they do feel sad giving it away, but once they do they feel good about sharing.

I make slings, what's your superpower?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)