Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Read this first if you're not familiar with the boycott!

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2007 at 1:13 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 2954 Total Views
This is the message I typed a few times, and now just copy+paste when people ask me about Nestle. Some of you probably got this message from me. :)
If you all have anything you'd like to add to it, please let me know!

Essentially, Nestle has, time and time again, shown that they don't care about the people who consume their products.

Against all advisement, they gave formula to women in south Africa, saying it was to help reduce the spread of HIV. However, all health advisers told them NOT to do it, because in poor countries, like south Africa, children NEED to be nursed to even have a chance at being healthy, since it their water is contaminated, and formula would need to be mixed, as well as the fact that their food isn't as healthy, so they desperately need the nutrients from breastmilk, and the antibodies to fight disease.

Anyway, Nestle gave them formula anyway. The babies started getting sick from the consumption of lots more of the contaminated water, and the moms started watering it down to make it last longer, since they obviously couldn't afford to really buy more. So, their babies ended up sick and malnourished. They weren't advised that formula feeding would reduce their milk supply, so when they ran out, they had little to no milk, and a lot of the babies died.

Also, a family in Belgium sued Nestle because their daughter died from contaminated formula. They had LOST the suit, and Nestle said, in essence, "Due to the intrinsic composition of formula, deaths from rare contamination are to be expected and accepted."

There's a LOT more than those two instances, by the way. They're in the top 3 of largest boycotted companies in the world.

The blinkie in my signature is a link to a boycotting group, and they've got TONS of information on Nestle, and my group has some good links and information as well, along with product lists.
by on Nov. 12, 2007 at 1:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
waysmama
by on Nov. 12, 2007 at 8:31 AM
HEY!  That's pretty much what I say, lol.   I wonder why.....  Oh, that's right, because it's freaking AWEFUL!!!!!  People need to know this stuff!

~ Safe Eating!  -Angel ~

Ban killers.
Nestlé-Free Zone

RanaAurora
by Group Owner on Nov. 12, 2007 at 7:56 PM
I just realized how many spelling and grammatical errors I have in that.  How embarrassing.
*goes to fix it*

If you type like an idiot, people will assume you are one.
Group Owner: Nestle boycott

waysmama
by on Nov. 13, 2007 at 11:57 AM
lmao, I saw those.  I try to remember to spell check but I never use it.

~ Safe Eating!  -Angel ~

Ban killers.
Nestlé-Free Zone

AAAAMarvy
by on Feb. 13, 2008 at 8:45 AM
Hey thanks for the tid bit.  I breast feed but it's interesting to know.  The infrequent candy bar will not enter my home.  If you look back in the 80's there were other issues with formula too.  It will never be close to mothers milk.  Oh well.  Have a good day!!!

Just Marvy 

pregnancy week by week
lionslambs
by on Feb. 14, 2008 at 3:02 PM
That's scary.  I have a friend that works 4 a Nestle formula plant.  She is young, newly married, no kids yet. But she told me how she is planning on ffeding in 5-8 yrs when her and hubby have a baby!! what!! and I have tried to reason with her...I wish she was more open minded and would read some of this stuff!!
lipstickclouds
by on Feb. 21, 2008 at 4:19 AM
Oh wow...that is just awful. How sad.

Dar-Dar
by on Feb. 28, 2008 at 3:43 PM
I belong to another cafe mom group, but saw a banner attached to a signature and was curious.  So I came to this group to read up.

Is there anything more you have on Nestle?  I ask because the post I read under "Read this First...." just doesn't sway me.  I would need to hear more.  Basically, it's difficult to sway me with stories of women in other countries.  Especially women in Africa or other third world countries.  I would be interested to know what weird or nasty things Nestle has done in the USA to deserve a boycott?

My experience with Nestle hasn't been negative.

I breastfed my first and will breastfeed my second child as well.  I moved into the formula stage when I started to supplement around 6 months; however, when she was 14 months, I moved to Vitamin D milk.  The formula I used from 6-12 months was Nestle Good Start including Nestle Good Start Natural Cultures.  I used Nestle mostly because my best and oldest friend from junior high, who'd had her baby a year before I had mine, recommended Nestle Good Start.  Her child has severe allergies and Nestle Good Start was the only formula he could keep down after she stopped breastfeeding.  She was very impressed with the product and told me to try it with my daughter.  I did and I didn't have any problems supplementing with breast milk and Nestle Good Start formula.

I guess I don't understand the whole idea of a complete boycott of Nestle based on the information in the post and look forward to more information.
HealthierHolly
by on Apr. 17, 2008 at 2:24 PM
I am curious how anyone could look at this information and want to know what they're doing in the US to be convinced. Is death and suffering only relevant when the babies are cute little white american babies?
Quoting Dar-Dar:

I belong to another cafe mom group, but saw a banner attached to a signature and was curious.  So I came to this group to read up.

Is there anything more you have on Nestle?  I ask because the post I read under "Read this First...." just doesn't sway me.  I would need to hear more.  Basically, it's difficult to sway me with stories of women in other countries.  Especially women in Africa or other third world countries.  I would be interested to know what weird or nasty things Nestle has done in the USA to deserve a boycott?

I breastfed my first and will breastfeed my second child as well.  I moved into the formula stage when I started to supplement around 6 months; however, when she was 14 months, I moved to Vitamin D milk.  The formula I used from 6-12 months was Nestle Good Start including Nestle Good Start Natural Cultures.  I used Nestle mostly because my best and oldest friend from junior high, who'd had her baby a year before I had mine, recommended Nestle Good Start.  Her child has severe allergies and Nestle Good Start was the only formula he could keep down after she stopped breastfeeding.  She was very impressed with the product and told me to try it with my daughter.  I did and I didn't have any problems supplementing with breast milk and Nestle Good Start formula.

I guess I don't understand the whole idea of a complete boycott of Nestle based on the information in the post and look forward to more information.
3LittleBearcubs
by on May. 26, 2008 at 8:50 PM
That is so not fair to say to her and very rude if i might add. What if this woman were an African American mom for one? Very tasteless to say HealtheirHolly. I think you are missing this moms point, She only wants more information which is a very smart and wise thing to do. I myself also saw a nestle boycott blinkie which led me to this group and i am not completely sold on why you guys are boycotting the company. The very small paragraph that has been written up about Nestle which has been provided as a sticky here does not give enough information to sell me on it yet either.  Has nothing to do with "cute little white american babies" either.
Quoting HealthierHolly:

I am curious how anyone could look at this information and want to know what they're doing in the US to be convinced. Is death and suffering only relevant when the babies are cute little white american babies?
Quoting Dar-Dar:

I belong to another cafe mom group, but saw a banner attached to a signature and was curious. So I came to this group to read up.

Is there anything more you have on Nestle? I ask because the post I read under "Read this First...." just doesn't sway me. I would need to hear more. Basically, it's difficult to sway me with stories of women in other countries. Especially women in Africa or other third world countries. I would be interested to know what weird or nasty things Nestle has done in the USA to deserve a boycott?

I breastfed my first and will breastfeed my second child as well. I moved into the formula stage when I started to supplement around 6 months; however, when she was 14 months, I moved to Vitamin D milk. The formula I used from 6-12 months was Nestle Good Start including Nestle Good Start Natural Cultures. I used Nestle mostly because my best and oldest friend from junior high, who'd had her baby a year before I had mine, recommended Nestle Good Start. Her child has severe allergies and Nestle Good Start was the only formula he could keep down after she stopped breastfeeding. She was very impressed with the product and told me to try it with my daughter. I did and I didn't have any problems supplementing with breast milk and Nestle Good Start formula.

RanaAurora
by Group Owner on May. 27, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Quoting 3LittleBearcubs:

That is so not fair to say to her and very rude if i might add. What if this woman were an African American mom for one? Very tasteless to say HealtheirHolly. I think you are missing this moms point, She only wants more information which is a very smart and wise thing to do. I myself also saw a nestle boycott blinkie which led me to this group and i am not completely sold on why you guys are boycotting the company. The very small paragraph that has been written up about Nestle which has been provided as a sticky here does not give enough information to sell me on it yet either. Has nothing to do with "cute little white american babies" either.
Whoa, I'm sorry I missed this whole bit, guys.
Look, there's one paragraph I wrote myself.
However, there's an entire group of posts with different articles on things they've done, things they've said, etc.

I'm honestly not telling anyone to boycott.  I'm presenting information, and it's up to the individual person as to whether or not it means as much to you as it does to me - enough to boycott a relatively major company.

I find their attitude with water resources disturbing and something that people should SERIOUSLY fight.  I find their responses to deaths from their products to be less than adequate, if not to the point of blaming the consumer themselves for any problems.  I find their advertising of formula and the amount of rules from The Code they break to be appalling.  I think what they did in Africa was horrid and the fact that they still defend it is disgusting.  I find the idea that they have lawyers that are snake-oil salesman as their representatives pretty darned fishy.  I think that having TONS of pet food brands under their name, that get sold everywhere, but are actually really unhealthy for animals is sad.  I think the child labor they use for their chocolate is appalling.

Need I go on?  If you're interested in learning about the boycott, read things in this group and see if anything strikes you as that important.  I'm not going to try to convince anyone, but I will urge you to please read up on a multitude of things.

Group Owner: Nestlé-Free Zone Check it out to learn about or join the boycott.
I Can Has Cheezburger? Love LOLZ Cats? Join the group!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN