Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Read this first if you're not familiar with the boycott!

Posted by   + Show Post
This is the message I typed a few times, and now just copy+paste when people ask me about Nestle. Some of you probably got this message from me. :)
If you all have anything you'd like to add to it, please let me know!

Essentially, Nestle has, time and time again, shown that they don't care about the people who consume their products.

Against all advisement, they gave formula to women in south Africa, saying it was to help reduce the spread of HIV. However, all health advisers told them NOT to do it, because in poor countries, like south Africa, children NEED to be nursed to even have a chance at being healthy, since it their water is contaminated, and formula would need to be mixed, as well as the fact that their food isn't as healthy, so they desperately need the nutrients from breastmilk, and the antibodies to fight disease.

Anyway, Nestle gave them formula anyway. The babies started getting sick from the consumption of lots more of the contaminated water, and the moms started watering it down to make it last longer, since they obviously couldn't afford to really buy more. So, their babies ended up sick and malnourished. They weren't advised that formula feeding would reduce their milk supply, so when they ran out, they had little to no milk, and a lot of the babies died.

Also, a family in Belgium sued Nestle because their daughter died from contaminated formula. They had LOST the suit, and Nestle said, in essence, "Due to the intrinsic composition of formula, deaths from rare contamination are to be expected and accepted."

There's a LOT more than those two instances, by the way. They're in the top 3 of largest boycotted companies in the world.

The blinkie in my signature is a link to a boycotting group, and they've got TONS of information on Nestle, and my group has some good links and information as well, along with product lists.
by on Nov. 12, 2007 at 1:13 AM
Replies (11-16):
athenagirl84
by on May. 27, 2008 at 7:58 PM
The group owner plainly stated that there were many more instances. Personally I think that you two who aren't sold should go look up the info yourselves. And as for Dar-Dar, what if there are no instances in the USA? Are you saying that we shouldn't care then? That maybe these women in 3rd world countries aren't as good as us because they were unlucky enough to be born in a country that's a toilet? As long as it doesn't affect your lovely American life who cares, right? Sheesh. I'm with Holly. Not so much as "cute white american babies" but that 80% of Americans don't give 2 shits about what happens in the rest of the world as long as it doesn't directly affect their lives.
Quoting 3LittleBearcubs:

That is so not fair to say to her and very rude if i might add. What if this woman were an African American mom for one? Very tasteless to say HealtheirHolly. I think you are missing this moms point, She only wants more information which is a very smart and wise thing to do. I myself also saw a nestle boycott blinkie which led me to this group and i am not completely sold on why you guys are boycotting the company. The very small paragraph that has been written up about Nestle which has been provided as a sticky here does not give enough information to sell me on it yet either.  Has nothing to do with "cute little white american babies" either.
Quoting HealthierHolly:

I am curious how anyone could look at this information and want to know what they're doing in the US to be convinced. Is death and suffering only relevant when the babies are cute little white american babies?
Quoting Dar-Dar:

I belong to another cafe mom group, but saw a banner attached to a signature and was curious. So I came to this group to read up.

Is there anything more you have on Nestle? I ask because the post I read under "Read this First...." just doesn't sway me. I would need to hear more. Basically, it's difficult to sway me with stories of women in other countries. Especially women in Africa or other third world countries. I would be interested to know what weird or nasty things Nestle has done in the USA to deserve a boycott?

My experience with Nestle hasn't been negative.

I breastfed my first and will breastfeed my second child as well. I moved into the formula stage when I started to supplement around 6 months; however, when she was 14 months, I moved to Vitamin D milk. The formula I used from 6-12 months was Nestle Good Start including Nestle Good Start Natural Cultures. I used Nestle mostly because my best and oldest friend from junior high, who'd had her baby a year before I had mine, recommended Nestle Good Start. Her child has severe allergies and Nestle Good Start was the only formula he could keep down after she stopped breastfeeding. She was very impressed with the product and told me to try it with my daughter. I did and I didn't have any problems supplementing with breast milk and Nestle Good Start formula.

I guess I don't understand the whole idea of a complete boycott of Nestle based on the information in the post and look forward to more information.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination. He likes to be petted and fawned over!...Really.
RanaAurora
by Group Owner on Jun. 1, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Quoting athenagirl84:

The group owner plainly stated that there were many more instances. Personally I think that you two who aren't sold should go look up the info yourselves. And as for Dar-Dar, what if there are no instances in the USA? Are you saying that we shouldn't care then? That maybe these women in 3rd world countries aren't as good as us because they were unlucky enough to be born in a country that's a toilet? As long as it doesn't affect your lovely American life who cares, right? Sheesh. I'm with Holly. Not so much as "cute white american babies" but that 80% of Americans don't give 2 shits about what happens in the rest of the world as long as it doesn't directly affect their lives.
Okay, while I definitely agree with you that the "As long as it doesn't affect me," mentality isn't very empathetic, I'm going to ask you kindly to back off.

For those who are undecided, I already stated, and I'll say it again:  My goal is NOT to convince people to boycott.  My goal is make sure that people have information available.  If the Africa bit isn't enough for you to boycott, read ANYTHING else, from the water pumping, child labor for chocolate, lawsuit in Belgium, anything.  If after you've read ALL of that, you don't want to boycott, well... that's your own personal choice - I can't force you, and I'm not going to beg.
editedsignature.jpg picture by RanaAurora
mayasmama1967
by on Jul. 29, 2008 at 11:06 AM

I agree with DarDar. I dont know much about this boycott, but I have never had any problems with Nestle before. I used powder formula because my baby wouldnt bf and I had no choice. She had no choice either and had no problems with Costco formula, she is big, healthy and strong. I know in this world that one or two main instances are actually very, very few in a world of millions using the stuff. This is not to say it's ok the way it was handled...but there are two sides to every story. Maybe the African baby would have gotten sick from the mother drinking contaminated water anyway, we dont know. Things handed down always get changed and exaggerated. All I can say is; thank god or something for formula when we can't breastfeed. My mother made 'formula' from canned milk, corn syrup and other gross stuff the DOCTOR told her to make for me. I was always healthy and love milk now. So, I hate to say it, and I am NOT being insensitive at all, but I think a few cases in the grand scheme of things are to be expected. No situation is going to be perfect. Please dont tell me I am being evil, either. frustrated

RanaAurora
by Group Owner on Jul. 31, 2008 at 4:18 AM

Quoting mayasmama1967:

I agree with DarDar. I dont know much about this boycott, but I have never had any problems with Nestle before. I used powder formula because my baby wouldnt bf and I had no choice. She had no choice either and had no problems with Costco formula, she is big, healthy and strong. I know in this world that one or two main instances are actually very, very few in a world of millions using the stuff. This is not to say it's ok the way it was handled...but there are two sides to every story. Maybe the African baby would have gotten sick from the mother drinking contaminated water anyway, we dont know. Things handed down always get changed and exaggerated. All I can say is; thank god or something for formula when we can't breastfeed. My mother made 'formula' from canned milk, corn syrup and other gross stuff the DOCTOR told her to make for me. I was always healthy and love milk now. So, I hate to say it, and I am NOT being insensitive at all, but I think a few cases in the grand scheme of things are to be expected. No situation is going to be perfect. Please dont tell me I am being evil, either.

Please go read the thread that explains how this boycott is NOT anti-formula, breastfeeding propaganda.  It's obvious you haven't yet.

The instances of this are NOT very few.  14% of powdered formula is contaminated with E. sakazaki... what the Belgian baby died of, and US consumers entrust their children's very LIVES to those companies... who don't even warn you.  Obviously you formula fed out of necessity, and no one is saying that formula is evil.  We're ALL grateful that for babies who can't be breastfed for whatever reason, that there's a better alternative than the Karo syrup mixes women used to make.

THAT IS NOT THE ISSUE.

You ARE being insensitive... but moreso, you're being defensive without even fully understanding what this is about.  If your child were to die, today, from a poisonous bacteria in her formula, you would be DEVESTATED.  You would blame the company, would you not?  And when they won the lawsuit, leaving you with funeral costs and lawyers fees and NO child, then said, "Yeah well, we can't help it, it's how it's made.  Get over it," would your attitude still be "No situation is going to be perfect."?  No freakin' way.  There's a group on Cafemom of women who's babies have suffered or died from this bacteria... and there's over 100 women in that group.
Just so you know, Nestle's formulas are NOT the only ones contaminated with this stuff.  All powdered formulas are.  The difference?  Other companies take RESPONSIBILITY for the hospital bills, and god forbid, funereal costs of their consumers.

THAT'S what this is about.  It has NOTHING to do with whether or not you formula feed your baby.  It has EVERYTHING to do with Nestle not giving a shit about whether or not your baby dies from THEIR product that you entrust your baby's life into.

As far as the Africa incident, it's obvious you haven't actually fully read anything there either, so I find myself wondering... did you just come in here, see there were some comments against formula, and decide that this is just more anti-formula crap?  If so, you're wasting my time, and anyone's who reads this. 

It wasn't ONE baby that died.  It was a LOT.  It was NOT from the mothers drinking contaminated water, as they've done for decades and centuries now.  It was the LACK of the antibodies from the breastmilk that would protect the children against those mircoorganisms and diseases, the lack of clean water to mix the formula with or wash bottles with, and the lack of CARING and follow-through by Nestle, who gave these women free formula, watched their babies suffer from diarrhea, and when the women went to ask what was wrong with their babies and why their milk was dried up, Nestle ditched them and RAN... because what they had been WARNED would happen DID happen.

This again has nothing to do with your choice to feed formula, or anyone's choice to feed formula.  Again, this has to do with Nestle not giving a shit about the lives of their consumers.

Now, anyone else want to tell me that this is just anti-formula usage crap, or is it clear now that I DON'T CARE if you formula feed your babies, but I DO care if a company poisons your baby and then tells you to deal with it?

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/carri13_photo/my%20pics/cio_siggy3.gif
Group Owner: Nestlé-Free Zone Check it out to learn about or join the boycott.
I Can Has Cheezburger? Love LOLZ Cats? Join the group!

RanaAurora
by Group Owner on Mar. 27, 2009 at 10:53 PM

I wanted to add this to the OP, but it's too long.  It's a good rundown for anyone interested: 

http://www.coopamerica.org/programs/responsibleshopper/company.cfm?id=269#campaigns

• Nestlé, based in Switzerland, is the world's largest food company. It manufactures a wide variety of food products, from chocolate to frozen dinners to pet food, and is one of the top four water bottling companies in the world. It controls one-third of the American bottled water market, selling water under 70 different brand names.

• Bottled water contributes to the plastic waste problem and seizes water that should remain a shared public resource. Nestlé has been repeatedly sued for the impacts of its bottled water operations on communities and for false advertising of its products.

• Nestlé has been criticized internationally for its aggressive marketing of infant formula in countries where potable water is scarce, leading to a reduction in breastfeeding and increased risk for infants.

• Nestlé is also one of the world's largest chocolate producers, and critics charge that this makes it a contributor to child and forced labor problems in cocoa-growing nations.

• The International Labor Rights Forum has sued Nestlé for its involvement with child labor.

• Fight Nestlé's food and water abuses by taking action and visit Go Green to learn about sustainable alternatives to Nestlé's products.

Switzerland-based Nestlé S.A. manufactures a wide variety of food products from chocolate to frozen dinners to pet food. In addition, Nestlé is one of the most prominent bottled water companies in the world, and also produces personal and health care products. Companies owned by Nestle include Gerber, Perrier, Purina, and more. Nestlé SA, employs approximately 260,000 people and reported sales of over $121 billion in 2007. Nestlé USA, the North American subsidiary of Nestlé S.A., accounted for $8.25 billion of Nestlé's annual sales in 2007. The company also owns 26 percent of L'Oreal.

Campaigns

Tell Nestle to Stop Bullying Municipal Utilities

Nestle threatened to sue Miami-Dade County in Florida after the county aired public service messages telling people that the county’s public tap water was cheaper…

action.foodandwaterwatch.org/t/5915/petition.jsp?petition_KEY=1427&track=wa...

Ask Nestle to Stop Child Labor on Cocoa Plantations

Despite Nestle USA’s public commitment to ending child labor on cocoa farms by July 2005…

http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/Nestle08

Corporate Accountability International Water Campaign

Coke, Nestlé, and Pepsi are misleading consumers to believe that bottled water is healthier than tap water--but bottled water is actually less regulated than public water sources…

www.stopcorporateabusenow.org/campaign/exposebottledwater

Baby Milk Action

Baby Milk Action (BMA), a UK-based non-profit group…

www.babymilkaction.org

Beverage/Water
Coffee
Food

Environment

Bottled water companies often tout the purity of their product, but comprehensive testing by the Environmental Working Group showe…

-- Environmental Working Group, 10/22/2008

Source URL: www.ewg.org/reports/bottledwater

Nestlé threatened to sue Miami-Dade County in Florida after the county aired public serves messages telling people that the county…

-- Miami Herald, 10/13/2008

Source URL: www.miamiherald.com/884/story/723788.html

Shapleigh, Maine, is one of many communities battling with multinational water companies to protect their local watersheds.…

-- Food & Water Watch, 09/24/2008

Source URL: www.foodandwaterwatch.org/press/releases/shapleigh-stops-poland-spring...

The Institute of Public and Environmental Affairs, a Chinese non-governmental organization, blacklisted Nestlé as one of 33 multin…

-- Polaris Institute, 10/28/2006

Source URL: www.polarisinstitute.org/pepsi_and_nestle_backlisted_for_water_polluti...

A 2006 report by the Connecticut-based Container Recycling Institute which is a nonprofit dedicated to increasing recovery and rec…

-- Container Recycling Institute, 10/01/2006

Source URL: container-recycling.org/assets/pdfs/reports/2006-scorecard.pdf

A 2006 Ceres report titled, "Corporate Governance and Climate Change: Making the Connection," commissioned by Investor Responsibil…

-- CERES, 03/01/2006

Source URL: www.ceres.org/NETCOMMUNITY/Page.aspx?pid=593&srcid=601

Human Rights

Nestlé is among those companies who have chosen to remain financially involved in Burma/Myanmar despite international pressure to …

-- Global Unions, 06/12/2007

Source URL: www.global-unions.org/burma

The International Labor Rights Fund (ILRF), which advocates for fair treatment of workers, sued Nestlé in the U.S.…

-- International Labor Rights Fund, 10/26/2006

Source URL: www.laborrights.org/end-violence-against-trade-unions/colombia/969

Nestlé has been criticized for its bottled water operations in Pakistan:

The population of Pakistan suffers from water …

-- ActionAid Pakistan, 04/01/2005

Source URL: www.alliancesud.ch/english/files/T_WrNn.pdf

Nestlé scored a 43 on Oxfam's rating of the 4 major coffee producers in 2003.…

-- Oxfam, 12/09/2003

Source URL: www.oxfamamerica.org/newsandpublications/press_releases/archive2003/ar...

Luna Lovegoodhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RanaAurora/spellingisGOOD.gif
CIO Alternatives:  How to get your baby to sleep without leaving them to cry.

RanaAurora
by Group Owner on Mar. 27, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Ethics and Governance

A campaign group asked Swiss authorities to investigate Nestlé for allegedly hiring a spy to infiltrate the group.…

-- International Herald Tribune, 06/20/2008

Source URL: www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/06/20/business/EU-FIN-Switzerland-Nestle-...

Nestlé's Fair Trade coffee received a score of 2.5 out of 20 on Ethical Consumer's Ethiscore website.…

-- Ethical Consumer, 10/11/2005

Source URL: www.ethiscore.org/

According to Canadian-based Polaris Institute, which fights for democratic social change, Nestlé has been implicated in the follow…

-- Polaris Institute, 10/01/2005

Source URL: www.polarisinstitute.org/files/Nestle%20October%20update.pdf

The Zhejiang Administration for Industry and Commerce (ZAIC) in China conducted a routine quality test on Nestlé powdered milk pro…

-- CSR Asia Weekly, 06/08/2005

Source URL: www.csr-asia.com/upload/csrasiaweeklyvol1week23.pdf

According to South Africa-based global anti-poverty group, ActionAid International, approximately 50,000 Brazilian dairy farmers h…

-- ActionAid, 01/25/2005

Source URL: www.actionaid.org.uk/489/press_release.html

Nestlé, Coke, Danone and Pepsi are the major targets of a Polaris Institute report exposing the dark side of the water industry.…-- Polaris Institute, 01/01/2005

Source URL: www.insidethebottle.org

Nestlé USA’s Political Action Committees (PACs) contributed $112,800 USD to political candidates between 2002 and 2004.…

-- Polaris Institute, 01/01/2003

Labor

A report from Tulane University found continued problems with child labor in the cocoa farms of West Africa, where the majority of…

-- International Labor Rights Fund, 10/13/2008

Source URL: laborrightsblog.typepad.com/international_labor_right/2008/10/tim-newm...

Nestlé purchases a portion of its cocoa from the Ivory Coast, where it has been found that children have been forced or tricked in…

-- Houston Chronicle, 02/11/2006

Source URL: none available

Nestlé has been criticized for supporting union busting activities in several countries, including Colombia and the Philippines: …

-- Polaris Institute, 01/01/2006

Source URL: www.evb.ch/cm_data/NOM-NESTLE1.pdf

The workers' rights group, International Labor Rights Fund (ILRF) has sued Nestlé, Archer Daniels Midland, and Cargill in Federal …

-- International Labor Rights Fund, 07/13/2005

Source URL: www.laborrights.org

Nestlé pays 15 cents for every liter of milk produced in developing countries, compared to wages of 48 cents per liter received by…

-- Common Dreams Newswire, 01/01/2004

Source URL: www.commondreams.org/headlines01/0418-02.htm

Health and Safety

On February 22 2006, Nestlé was granted a patent on genetically modified coffee plants by the European Patent Office.…

-- Organic Consumers Association, 04/14/2006

Source URL: www.organicconsumers.org/ge/coffee060417.cfm

Nestlé continues to employ a double standard for incorporating genetically engineered food in its products.…

-- Polaris Institute, 01/01/2006

In May 2002, the American Environmental Safety Institute, a non-profit environmental group sued Hershey, Nestlé and Kraft contendi…

-- Science News Magazine, 05/08/2002

Source URL: www.sciencenews.org/articles/20051105/food.asp

Special Awards

Nestlé was named one of the "Most Wanted Corporate Human Rights Violators of 2005" by San Francisco-based human rights organizatio…

-- Global Exchange, 02/08/2006

Source URL: www.globalexchange.org/getInvolved/corporateHRviolators.html

In January 2005, on the opening day of the World Economic Forum, the Berne Declaration and Pro Natura named Nestlé winner of the f…

-- EvB, 01/26/2005

Source URL: www.evb.ch/index.cfm?page_id=3380

Luna Lovegoodhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RanaAurora/spellingisGOOD.gif
CIO Alternatives:  How to get your baby to sleep without leaving them to cry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN