Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Here, and question about dog's ears(Long, sorry)

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:28 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 221 Total Views

Hello all, I am new here to this group.  My name is Samantha, I am 31, married and have 4 children ranging in age from 12 to 7 months.

We recently moved into our new home, and the previous owner (my aunt) told us that with the house came the dog.  Well she didn't tell us that he hasn't had any vaccinations, or been to the vet recently(if ever).  She just said that all stuff for Midas will be paid for.  She also told us that she never got any complaints about the dog barking or anything.  Well Midas barks a lot, he also has a nasty case of ear mites and needs his shot and to get a health checkup from a vet.  The other night when I was at the store the cops showed up because the neighbors behind us called them about our dog barking.  They said that he was barking at 3 am and woke up their daughter, at that point I know it wasn't Midas because we keep him in the downstairs bathroom at night because its cold outside and we feel bad that hes in the cold. 

So we finally got my aunt to bring us a bark collar and the ear drops to treat the ear mites, however when I was cleaning out his ears I noticed a greyish/brownish fluid in his ears.  Could this be a sign of a larger problem, an ear infection maybe?  Or do ear mites cause some sort of liquid to be present further down in the ear?  I was careful not to stuff the cotton balls and swabs too far down into his ear so as not to puncture his ear drum and cause more issues.  Will the OTC ear drops work to cure an ear infection as well? Or does he need a prescription from the vet?

The dog is going to be going to Georgia, eventually to be with my cousin and his wife.  My cousin is deployed right now so I feel bad about dumping the dog on his wife while he is in Iraq.  But at the same time I need for the dog to get the medical care that he deserves, I mean I would never let my kids be really sick without taking them to the doctor.

Any help would be greatly aprreciated.  Thanks

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
MissiHampt
by Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:41 PM

In my experience, OTC ear mite stuff does not work.  Best to just go to the vet, get a full checkup done and shots caught up, and let them give you something that will help.

Missi....loving wife to Jason, mommy to Ricky (1-12-05), and soon to be mommy to Logan Douglas (due Feb 2010).  I'm a cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding till baby wants to quit, homeschooling, non-circumcising, anti-cry it out, part time working, animal loving, trashy romance novel reading, farm raised hillbilly.  I have had Meningitis and Swine Flu and lived to tell about it.  Any questions?

KyliesMom5
by Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I highly doubt the dog has ear mites he would have to sleep ear to ear with another animal that had them.  You also can not tell if it is mites unless you see them under a microscope.  My guess is he has an ear infection and no over the counter product will get rid of that.  He really needs to seen by a vet. 

StudioM
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM

He seriously needs his ears cleaned. A brownish goop in ears is normal, but should be pretty solid and not much in normal dogs. Shar Pei's, bull dogs, etc are another story. If it is goopy? You have an infection.

Clean ears with peroxide. Pour it in the ear, let it fizz up and wipe out with a make up pad. Don't stick anything down in there. Let a vet do that. Keep doing that until you don't get anymore crap up out of the canal. Dry them out as good as you can then place a few drops of alcohol in the ear to be sure it dries up properly. Repeat this daily if you can for the next week. If the invfection clears on it's own it's only a topical. I doubt it, but you can try! If it doesn't clear on it's own, you need to go to the vet. Sorry!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)