Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help me please

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:52 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 268 Total Views

i have 12 animals i live in a apt i burn candels i keep it clean my dh scoops thhe pail every day we keep the ferrets cage clean the hamsters tanks clean the birds cage clean help what else can i do to keep the smell down

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gracelynn2011
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:24 PM

my landlord is coming 2 moro an i need ideas

hightideatsea
by Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 7:46 AM

I have a lot of animals too, I live on a farm.  I also have a ferret.  To keep his smell down, I wash his bedding weekly, use cedar shavings for the bottom of his cage, and he is litter box trained so I use the clumping litter which is easier to scoop and cleaner.  When cleaning his cage, I use a water & alcohol solution. It helps remove the smell as well as disinfect.  I have two birds (an african grey and a cockatoo) and I never noticed any smell from them, as I clean their cages daily. 

Not sure what you can really do to help minimize the smell other than using something like glade plug ins, or that pet frest carpet vacuum powder.  I can't use either of those as my ferret is allergic to them. 

Gracelynn2011
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 11:06 AM

i was told dont use anything on the bottom of bellas cage thats my ferret name an only use  pellet litter with her would ine work to i have 4 hamsters

moonstruk
by Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 9:04 PM

animals have scent glands. bathing them, not every day, but often helps, and clean cages  daily with antibacterial soap, and clean bedding . but you will always have some odor. esp with that many animals and close quarters.

Gracelynn2011
by on Sep. 5, 2010 at 2:21 PM

thanks

Momchipomkids
by New Member on Sep. 13, 2010 at 10:53 PM

I always washed the ferrets bedding like weekly like our own bedding, the odor gets on their stuff...and they also made my couch smell under it...so maybe take the feet off your couch so they can't go under it...or let them play in a room and not the whole house (if you do this)  hamsters just need weekly bedding changes...I don't know what besides the ferrets could make your house smell...you can dust with good smelling furniture polish, bleach hard surfaces like counter tops so it kills odors...spray your carpets with water bottle with a couple drops of lavendar oil   that makes my room smell good for hours...maybe spritz your chairs and sofa with it?   there are different oils if you don't like lavendar...I got mine in the candle dept. at walmart...or near the curtains and insense stuff.

Gracelynn2011
by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 11:54 PM

ok thanks

NewMama4411
by New Member on Oct. 6, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Check a pet store or a vet clinic. At my clinic, we sell and use pet odor eliminating candles and they work great to cover smell.

mytime4real
by New Member on Oct. 6, 2010 at 1:07 PM

I have two ferrets, two guinea pigs, a dog, three turtles and several other pets .  I burn scented candles daily and do a clean sweep of the ferret and guinea pig cage twice a day to keep the odor down.  I also use a deodorizing, conditioning spray on my ferrets once a day and use Bi Odor in their water daily.  That seems to help a whole lot.  I also burn oils from bath and body works...they are the best!!  You would never know I had any animals.  Hope this helps...good luck!!

smile mini

Friendsaug2007
by New Member on Oct. 7, 2010 at 7:21 PM

I've heard the air purifier machine things they have out really work check into them online.  GOOD LUCK.  I had a friend who had dogs and you'd NEVER KNOW it REALLY WORKED!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)