• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feral kittens. piog

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:29 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 186 Total Views

I came home from work and went to investigate my dogs who were barking like crazy.  They had two kittens cornored in our shop.  One kitten looked pretty chewed up.  I got the dogs out.  Got my hubby to help and we caught the mangled one.  No outside damage we could see but we dont know if the insides are ok. He isnt meowing or acting like he is in any pain but  He isnt very active, all though he can hiss and swipe. Then we chased the second kitten all over the shop for 20 minutes.   ITs a beautiful kitten but so wild.  Not only did it hiss and swipe at us but it jumped at us also.  We'v got them in seperate cages and hope to tame them and find homes.  They look about 8 or 9 weeks old.  So, does anyone have experience with taming feral kittens?  Any suggestions would be helpful.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
lanceandhailey
by Member on May. 21, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Yes, just start handling them a lot. They are pretty easy to tame with food and treats! You probably don't need them in separate cages either, they may like to cuddle :)

PetitePenguin
by New Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I agree they may enjoy cuddling and it will probably help to keep them calm, good luck with getting them to be tamer.

Ferne
by Member on May. 21, 2011 at 11:49 PM

My hubby found some info about taming feral kittens.  It says that it is almost impossible to tame a kitten over 5 weeks old.  That if you try, you need to have them in a cage in the same room with you at all times so they get used to your scent and prescence and that for several weeks you will need to handle them with gloves.  Holding them as often as possible so they get used to it. Also said that they often turn feral or semiferal again when they are grown.  So..It doesnt look like I will be able to tame them, not with 4 dogs in the house.  I'm going to take them to the barn at my brother in laws empty house where they have been staying and start leaving catfood there every morning.  Hopefully that will encourage them to stay there and out of my yard as they came to my shop for the cat food we leave out. It looks like the hurt one is going to be ok.  I cant even look at the other kitten without it hissing and trying to jump at me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)