Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am having to make a tough decision with my Boxer

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:57 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 476 Total Views

I went on vacation last month. Came back after 20 days and my Boxer had a large navel orange sized tumor on his hip/leg area and was hopping around on 3 legs.

I took him to the vet the next day and they did surgery. It's cancer. The vet got the bulk of the tumor out but most is stuck to the bone and has nerves around it, which made the procedure difficult. He said as fast as the tumor grew, we would not have long with our dog. We have been taking him to the vet to get shots for pain to make him comfortable.

He is a Boxer, so always in high spirits and wagging his tail. The tumor has grown and because of it's size, you can see the pull on his spine, he has loss all muscle in his leg he doesn't use, he is growing another bump on his leg, and his hip area not covered by tumor is sticking up. He looks pitiful and sad. We had said, we would keep him around till he was not eating or drinking or seemed in too much pain. With the shots, the pain is not really showing and I think he is putting on a happy face for us. KWIM?

I am pregnant and I have been lifting him in & out of our SUV for vet visits, my dr. said NO more. I tear up most days, just watching him hobble around. I love my dog, have had him for almost 9 years, when do I say good bye?

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hightideatsea
by Member on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:29 AM

That is a very sad and tough decision to have to make.  Even asking yourself which would be better for him and knowing the answer is tough.  And I dont know what I would do if given that situation where I could comfortably prolong his life, I'd be asking myself if I was doing it for his benefit or for mine.  Clearly, being you are pregnant you certainly can't keep lifting him in and out of the vehicle..is there anyone that can help you do this? Or is the vet able to provide you the meds to give at home? Unless the shots have to go directely into the vein, they are not really hard to give.  It probably would be better to say good bye for his sake, however as I said that is a very hard decision to have to make and much easier said than done. 

Last year I had to make that decision in 5 minutes when our Dane got stomach bloat.  I know its totally different than  cancer, but just wanted to say I DO know how hard that is!  Our dane was 7 yrs old and the ER vet was an hour away.  By the time we got there his stomach had twisted 180 degrees, surgery could have been done, but was over $3500 and there was no guarantee that he would make it.  Because of his heart condition he could have had major complications.  So I had to make that decision in 5 minutes time to prevent him from suffering any longer.  It was very VERY hard to make that decison and I stayed in the room with him until it was over, and while that might be hard for some to do, for me, It gave me a peace of mind that he was no longer in pain and in a better place. 

Keep us updated please!

gogetem
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Aw :(  I'm sorry to hear about this.  I have never been in that situation, so here is a bump for you.

I hope things get easier for you.

Mommyof2114
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Oh I'm really sorry :( I'm sure it's not easy to decide on what to do.  Just do what's in your heart!

Heidimagidi
by New Member on Aug. 23, 2011 at 11:22 AM

We say good bye on Thurs. I just talk to the vet. His spine has shifted to accommodate the tumor and he is miserable. I am just heart broken and bawled my eyes out after I talk to the vet. This is torture for anyone, let alone a pregnant woman.

boxergirl86
by Group Owner on Aug. 23, 2011 at 11:30 AM
Im sorry hun I know how you feel, we had to put our boxer down and he was 12yrs old. it broke my heart but I found peace thinking that my baby will always be in my heart and will no longer be suffering. Hope things get better for you and again, I am sorry you and your family are going through this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CandyceG
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 11:52 AM

I am so sorry you are having to go through this!  I hope you can find the good in what has to be done for your beloved boxer's sake.  When my Dad had to put done his baby a few years ago, my step Mom found a beautiful picture we had taken of her and blew it with her name on it for him.  It sits in the living room next to the couch now.  He says it is like having her with him still.  Maybe that will help you as well.

hightideatsea
by Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I'm so sorry to hear that, but I think you are doing the right thing for your baby.  When we had to put our Dane down the vet gave me a nice little clay plaque with his paw print in it.  I couldn't look at it for awhile but now it sits on our shelf with his collar and I know he's in a better place with no pain and will be waiting for me at the rainbow bridge. 

gsmom9
by Member on Aug. 25, 2011 at 3:40 PM

sending hugs. such a hard decision. especially when they start to rally and then go down hill, then rally, then go down hill. so sorrygroup hug

sam_h123
by New Member on Aug. 31, 2011 at 2:00 AM

I have watched my in laws lose a dog just recent from a tumor on the leg and they let her go until she couldn't handle the pain any longer and that is actucally harder to watch then having the dog put to sleep. and their other dog who didn't show any sign of having cancer we had just taken her into the vet and ran test and they got the call then next day and that morning she had passed. Just to let you know watching the animal suffer is worst then putting it to sleep.

_Mrs.H_
by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 9:26 AM

I'm very sorry for your loss.  I am sure it was hard to do but he is no longer in pain.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)