Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Dog

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:09 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 201 Total Views

For Christmas my hubby and I were thinking about getting a dog for the children. What is the best kind of dog to have around children ages 11-newborns??? puppy

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Ferne
by Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:04 PM

some of the best breeds to be around children are labs, beagles, pugs,Golden retriever.  I'v seen these on several different list as being good around children.

cavalier_craz
by Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Goldensa nd labs are awesome!! I have a mutt. I had a DNA test done on him and supposedly he is German Sheperd, Boxer, Dalmation and Poodle. He is amazing with my kids. Ive never seen another dog that puts up with kids (and ANY kids, not just mine) like he does. My other dogs are Catahoulas. I wanted this breed specifically for the reason that they become bonded very strongly to "thier" kids and family and will protect them. Those are his babies and no one better get near them!  

aviatioNation
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:57 PM

There are no good or bad breeds, it's all in how they're raised. Mutts are least likely to have genetic defects. You should pick whichever breed/mix you like the best. Be aware, though, that many rescues won't adopt young animals out around Christmas.

sallykwitt
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 7:37 AM

So many good options!

Every dog is different, and may not be exactly what the breed is known for.

It is not safe to leave any dog alone with a newborn or young baby, no matter what the breed or training.

Here is a great set of answers from another site-

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080213083633AALE3JE

I hope that you adopt a dog from a rescue group or shelter.  The people that are fostering the dog, or work in the shelter should be able to steer you towards a good dog that is gentle with children.

http://www.petfinder.com/  can help you find a great dog and resources in your area.

Have fun!

Hugs,

Sally

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)