Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

allergies : (

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:46 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 161 Total Views
So we took Roscoe our dog we just adopted to the vet yesterday for his check up. He was scratching a lot and his coat is dull and thinned like I mentioned in a previous post. Well they checked fo fleas and did a skin scraping. All was good so it leans more to allergies. I started him on a new food slowly Friday called california natural and they suggested benadryl. Well he seems to be itching less, but when I give him benadryl he gets so drowsy and blah. I feel so bad. Hopefully the itching gets better and he doesn't need benadryl much longer and this food works out. Its really not that expensive. Maybe 4 dollars more than your typical dog food. She also mentioned bathing him in the oatmeal bath I have for him a little more than you would with a dog that has no allergies. She isn't sure if its food allergies or seasonal allergies, so we shall see...
Anyone else have a dog with allergies? If so what do you do for them? Is it seasonal or food? I feel soooo bad for my little guy : (
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
JessicaPoff
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I am so sorry for your doggie.. Allergies suck big time. I know because I have them real bad and its hard to do anything when they are flaired up. And yes, benadryl though its works does make you so sleepy and blah. Poor fellow. I hope that food does work for him.

XoXo.Nikki.XoXo
by Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM
I have allergies myself and it does suck. He seems to be doing a lot better today and didn't have any benadryl. He seems to be tolerating the food well and I think he likes it better than the old food lol. He keeps picking out the new stuff and only eating that but I don't blame him. It has way better quality ingredients. Hopefully we get this all squared away and he doesn't suffer anymore :(

Quoting JessicaPoff:

I am so sorry for your doggie.. Allergies suck big time. I know because I have them real bad and its hard to do anything when they are flaired up. And yes, benadryl though its works does make you so sleepy and blah. Poor fellow. I hope that food does work for him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KyliesMom5
by Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Before I even read your post I assumed it was a dog with allergies and I was going to recommend California Natural. I had a Golden retriever that was pretty much allergic to everything under the sun.  I never actually had her allergy tested but there were a lot of suspects. 

The things I did that made a HUGE difference for my dog as Cal Natural and a supplement called Nupro.  Nupro smells horrible but most dogs love it and it is worth it.  Before I tried it the food has helping but she was still itchy and was still getting hot spots and ear infections. Once I combined them I never took her to the vet for allergy problems again which saved me a fortune. I also kept her on Advantage year round because she was allergic to fleas and that helped control that itch.

I am feeding my dogs something else because none of my guys have any allergy issues but I still use the Nupro because it is good for them for several things.

One other thing to consider is Hypothyroidism. That can cause skin problems so you might want to do bloodwork at some point if he continues to have skin problems.

http://www.nuprosupplements.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)