Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to group and a new doggy

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 206 Total Views

Hello, I am new to this group. I have 2 cats a new dog that I just adopted that is approximately 2 years old. She is such a good doggy so far! She is completely house trained and friendly. The only problem I am having is getting the dog and cats to get along. I have had to keep the dog on a leash when inside cause the cats hiss and the dog tries to play with the kitties and they don't like it.

Here are my pets.

Cloe

Pumpkin

and our newest addition, Bella

by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Ferne
by Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM

They are all adorable.  I am sure they will get along eventually, it will just take some time to get used to each other.

.GinxedGemini.
by New Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Quoting Ferne:

They are all adorable.  I am sure they will get along eventually, it will just take some time to get used to each other.

^ What she said lol.. They are so cute.

smurfy88
by Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 1:44 AM
Thanks ladies! I hope they adjust sooner rather than later
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mitchiesgirl
by Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:28 AM

They are all adorable :) Introductions and getting used to each other takes time. I let my cat swipe at my dogs (not touch them just hiss and swipe) and they learned boundaries real fast lol. Now they are best buddies :)

smurfy88
by Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 7:41 AM

lol, my cats hiss all the time at the dog! Yesterday Cloe took her first swipe at the dog, but didn't make contact. It didn't even phase the dog she just kept trying to play ha.

Quoting mitchiesgirl:

They are all adorable :) Introductions and getting used to each other takes time. I let my cat swipe at my dogs (not touch them just hiss and swipe) and they learned boundaries real fast lol. Now they are best buddies :)

CollinBayleeMom
by Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Very cute furbabies! I agree with the others. The cats & dog will quickly learn to get along. I had my dogs for 5 & 3 yrs before the cat came along. At first I kept them separated by a baby gate so they could see/smell each other, but the dogs wouldn't be able to accindentally hurt the cat. Once they got used to each other that way, I let each dog spend a little time with the cat. The cat only hissed/spit/swiped at the dogs once or twice after that and now they are best buds. If I were you, I'd just make sure the cats have a safe place to hide if they want to be away from the dog.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smurfy88
by Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Thanks for the tip! I might try the baby gate idea

Quoting CollinBayleeMom:

Very cute furbabies! I agree with the others. The cats & dog will quickly learn to get along. I had my dogs for 5 & 3 yrs before the cat came along. At first I kept them separated by a baby gate so they could see/smell each other, but the dogs wouldn't be able to accindentally hurt the cat. Once they got used to each other that way, I let each dog spend a little time with the cat. The cat only hissed/spit/swiped at the dogs once or twice after that and now they are best buds. If I were you, I'd just make sure the cats have a safe place to hide if they want to be away from the dog.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)