Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do? Updated

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:46 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 251 Total Views

We had a stray cat have kittens under our back porch. We were excited about it. Getting to watch the babies grow and possibly keeping one of them when they got old enough. Momma is young and wild. We can not get close to her at all, but we check on the babies every day to see how they are doing. She had five of them. They were born last Saturday, the 21st.

Now the problem is that 3 of the kittens have already died. I don't know why. I don't know if there was something wrong with them or of she is not caring for them properly. One died Monday and when we checked on them this morning two more were dead.

What would you do. I am a sahm and have the ability to nurse the remaining two. Should we take the last two and feed them and keep them. Or should we leave them with their mother and pray that they survive. We would love to keep one of them. I am afraid that either they are going to die or she is going to move them so that we can't find them again. I have removed and buried the ones that didn't make it. Hoping that she wouldn't move the remaining ones, but I do know that there is still a possibility that she will.

Any suggestions? What would you mommies do?

Update:

The decision was made for us. Momma abandoned them after the two died last night. I think the stray tom cat that is around here had killed them. We brought the remaining two in the house. I have managed to get them to eat but havn't been able to help them potty. I will keep trying. Thanks for your replies. I am open to any suggestions on how to help them.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination.
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
wolfqueen666
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I would take them in and nurse them.  If they get sicker, take them to a vet right away.  Making sure those kittens get proper care might make their mother not come back, but at least the kittens will be safe.  We just rescued a kitten in Feb from a shelter.  She is so much a part of our lives now that I dunno what would happen if she got lost or out of the house.  My daughter loves her so much I know it would break her heart and mine as well.

.GinxedGemini.
by New Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Sometimes when the mother is wild she will neglect her babies if they have human scent on them.. If anyone has been touching them then yes, I think it would be best to get them properly cared for because she might not be feeding them.. But you never know, she could have gotten into poison to.. GL 

Zamaria
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:32 AM
I would take them and care for them. I would probably get them to a vet ASAP, just for a checkup, especially if they don't seem healthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Are you stimulating their heinies after they eat with a wet cotton ball?  I fostered a momma cat and her 6 babies and had to do that to get them to potty until they were old enough to use the cat box at about 4 weeks.  

bunnywzrd
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Are you stimulating their heinies after they eat with a wet cotton ball?  I fostered a momma cat and her 6 babies and had to do that to get them to potty until they were old enough to use the cat box at about 4 weeks.  

We managed to keep one alive. She is now almost 4 months old. Her sister died just a couple days after I brought them in the house. We have kept Daisy though and she is doing great.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)