Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cat quit using the litter box

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 220 Total Views
So at the end of February we decided to move. My dh and I were separated and decided to move back in together. We had to get a different house because neither location was big enough for the family. Well my cat stayed in the old location during the move. When i got him, he was taken to the vet to be declawed and then brought to the new house where he had to stay in the bathroom until his paws healed. Well, ever since he healed, he has REFUSED to use the litter box. The only time he will use it is if he is locked in the bathroom with it. I have switched litters, cleaned it etc. I have sprayed the area that he commonly goes with a retraining aid and none of this has worked. I need help, Im eventually going to have to have my family room (which we aren't currently able to use do to the problem) professionally cleaned as i can't get the smell out. I would like to have this issue resolved before though so I am not wasting money. My cat is 8 yrs old, an only cat and never had this poblem before. (even in a home with 5 other cats). Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ferne
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 1:07 AM

I have heard that cat litter can be painful on the paws after having claws removed.  Years ago I had a friend who had that problem  They put those puppy pee pads in the litter box and the cat started using it again. Anyhow, I would try something softer than cat litter. If you cant afford the pads, maybe shredded newspaper would work. ( but you would have to keep all papers, books, magazines picked up or he might use those also.)   Good Luck.

momma2rhylee
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 3:47 PM
Bought a whole new box too. Praying this works.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boxergirl86
by Group Owner on May. 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I agree about using the pee pads or shredded paper. I would take him back to the vet just to make sure that there is no underlying medical condition causing this behavior. If everything is ok I suggest putting out a couple of litter boxes for the time being. Also if there are too many changes at once it could just be stress causing this behavior. Sorry you are going through this and I hope you get this figured out. There are a few different things that could be causing this so I would definitely start with the vet. Maybe he is territorial, new member of the family or living in the household could stress him out. I'm not sure but here is some info and I hope it helps.

Quoting Ferne:

I have heard that cat litter can be painful on the paws after having claws removed.  Years ago I had a friend who had that problem  They put those puppy pee pads in the litter box and the cat started using it again. Anyhow, I would try something softer than cat litter. If you cant afford the pads, maybe shredded newspaper would work. ( but you would have to keep all papers, books, magazines picked up or he might use those also.)   Good Luck.

pampire
by on May. 24, 2012 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

You had his fingers cut off above the second knuckle.  That may be why his pissing on your stuff.

momma2rhylee
by Member on May. 24, 2012 at 10:43 PM
I came for advice, not to be criticized for my decisions. And he's not peeing on my stuff. He isn't using the litter box at all unless he's locked in the bathroom with it. Otherwise he's doing everything in the downstairs family room in the carpet.

Quoting pampire:

You had his fingers cut off above the second knuckle.  That may be why his pissing on your stuff.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Why did you declaw him?  Don't you know how inhumane that is?

momma2rhylee
by Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:34 PM
Really? I'm not here to hear about how horrible my decision was. I came for advice. My reasoning doesn't matter. If you're not going to answer my question or give me advice then don't reply.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma2rhylee
by Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:37 PM
After several months we have resolved the issue. He hated the clay litter. He uses wheat which is expensive but it's better then keeping him locked in a bathroom. We also keep the basement door closed so he can't go down there where he was going .

Quoting boxergirl86:

I agree about using the pee pads or shredded paper. I would take him back to the vet just to make sure that there is no underlying medical condition causing this behavior. If everything is ok I suggest putting out a couple of litter boxes for the time being. Also if there are too many changes at once it could just be stress causing this behavior. Sorry you are going through this and I hope you get this figured out. There are a few different things that could be causing this so I would definitely start with the vet. Maybe he is territorial, new member of the family or living in the household could stress him out. I'm not sure but here is some info and I hope it helps.

Quoting Ferne:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Sorry, but it had to be said.  It was a really horrible thing to do to something you supposedly love.

Quoting momma2rhylee:

Really? I'm not here to hear about how horrible my decision was. I came for advice. My reasoning doesn't matter. If you're not going to answer my question or give me advice then don't reply.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

momma2rhylee
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM
It had already been said. Talking to me like that isn't going to change what has already been done .

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Sorry, but it had to be said.  It was a really horrible thing to do to something you supposedly love.

Quoting momma2rhylee:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)