Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

weird worm thing!!! HELP!

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 12:51 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 278 Total Views
So my 6 month old puppy spent about half the day outside with us playing in the hard kiddy pool and the sprinkler. It didn't get over 80° today either. Well when she came in she threw up, I'm thinking from all the grass she ate, there was alot in the puke but there was also this worm... It was about 5-6” long and about the width of a spaghetti noodle, same color too. I've checked her poop for worms many times and have never seen a thing! This is the only one I've ever seen! So is this the same kind that comes out in poop? or something else?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 12:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
djsmommy13
by New Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:42 AM

i would deworm here just in case

Ferne
by Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I dont know if they are the same kind, but I do know worms can show up in vomit or poop.  If the puppy is vomiting frequently,you need to take it to a vet.  If not, over the counter worm medicine should help. Make sure that you get one that covers several different kinds of worms.

aimeegreen4ever
by Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM
She only vomited the one time, we buy all the shots and meds we need for our animals at a farm supply store, it's the same stuff they carry at the vets so that's what I'll do today, it was just so weird! I've never seen anything that big!

Quoting Ferne:

I dont know if they are the same kind, but I do know worms can show up in vomit or poop.  If the puppy is vomiting frequently,you need to take it to a vet.  If not, over the counter worm medicine should help. Make sure that you get one that covers several different kinds of worms.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimeegreen4ever
by Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:37 AM
And does it matter how often there wormed? The lady who have her to is wormed her last about 3 months ago...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ferne
by Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Quoting aimeegreen4ever:

And does it matter how often there wormed? The lady who have her to is wormed her last about 3 months ago...

I have seen it recommended to do every 3 months but I only worm mine about once a year and have not had any problems.  I would worm a second time in 3 months, then after that keep an eye out for any signs of worms.

aimeegreen4ever
by Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Thank you. I will!

Quoting Ferne:

Quoting aimeegreen4ever:

I have seen it recommended to do every 3 months but I only worm mine about once a year and have not had any problems.  I would worm a second time in 3 months, then after that keep an eye out for any signs of worms.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
laughingsqua125
HAVE A NICE DAY & VACATION
Yesterday at 2:46 PM
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 5:43 PM

they say when dogs eat grass their stomach is upset . sounds like tape worm or flat worm had one 8 in. passed out the other end . got pill from vet . was wise decision.fingers crossed

carakitty
by Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Please PLEASE get your meds and vaccines directly from the Vet in the future! The ones at the feed store might be the 'same' that the Vet has but when the meds and vaccines are shipped to feed stores and pet stores they aren't required to be shipped under the same regulations as the ones that go to the Vet AND the companies don't guarentee the products gotten from the store. If your pet gets sick from a store bought product you're up a creek without a paddle if something goes wrong but if it's from the Vet you at least have a chance of having some more support.

Quoting aimeegreen4ever:

She only vomited the one time, we buy all the shots and meds we need for our animals at a farm supply store, it's the same stuff they carry at the vets so that's what I'll do today, it was just so weird! I've never seen anything that big!

~Blessings~
Me (Future Certified Veterinary Technician) and my Marshmallow Girl,

The Cats, the Umbrella Cockatoo, the big Yellow Lab and the Fishies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)