Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will a new puppy help ease the pain?

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:33 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 159 Total Views
I recently lost my beloved shih tzu in a vicious attack and I feel so lost without him. I desperately want a puppy and I feel like it would help ease the pain from my loss.
Has anyone else lost a pet? Would a new puppy truly help, or am I just wishing?
by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
nowaygourmet
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 2:47 AM
Everyone is different it really depends on you. it may get your mind off of your loss and help you start to heal or you could feel guilty for "replacing" him although he isnt replaceable. take the time to think it over dnt rush it.

mamivon2
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I would say.. wait.. morn the death of your beloved dog.. even if it takes weeks or months.. do something nice for him/her.. maybe plant a flower or plant..

think of it as you would have lost a child.. would you want to have another one right away to ease your pain?

marshsmom
by Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 11:53 AM

When I lost my dog a couple of years ago I went about 3 weeks later and adopted another dog from the shelter (which is where I had gotten her).  Those were the worst 3 weeks of my life. I don't think my sweet girl would want me to live without a dog by my side and I saved a life in her memory. The new puppy kept me busy, but definately helped soothe some of the heartache. 

temage
by Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM
I still have 4 other dogs. But I miss my buddy. I had had him since he was 10 weeks old. My other dogs are missing their friend, and we are all missing our "little buddy".

Quoting marshsmom:

When I lost my dog a couple of years ago I went about 3 weeks later and adopted another dog from the shelter (which is where I had gotten her).  Those were the worst 3 weeks of my life. I don't think my sweet girl would want me to live without a dog by my side and I saved a life in her memory. The new puppy kept me busy, but definately helped soothe some of the heartache. 

Tryshx
by Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 4:54 AM

My mom received a dog as a wedding gift, the dog was 6 months old, she was 3 months pregnant with me... The dog was 11 months older than me and was a Samoyed Husky, so was quite large by the time I came along.  He ended up getting heartworm, and my parents opted for the treatment (which many of you know is very dangerous and can actually shorten the life of the dog even if they survive it), and he survived... The vet gave him an estimated lifespan of 7 years (I was supposed to be 6 when he died), but he was strong, and lived to be 14 years old.  Me and my mom found his body together one afternoon, pulling into the driveway we saw him laying next to the house not moving (he normally ran to the fence as we pulled up) and mom freaked out and got out of the car and started screaming his name from the fence (I think she was afraid to go inside the yard and confirm his death)... She just sat there and cried, for hours... She'd had him longer than she had had me (oldest biological child) and her heart was just broken.  All of ours were, honestly, I'd never known life without that dog.  He taught me how to walk, he'd saved my life from a pack of wolves before, he fought an aggressive pitbull and almost died once defending our chihuahua, it was a devastating loss to our family.  My mom's boss at the time (bless her heart) thought she was doing a good thing though and within the first week after Nook's death she brought my mom a yellow lab and gave it to her at work... Honestly, my mom didn't want another dog (we still had the chihuahua, and my mom didn't want to replace him)... but because she didn't want to insult her boss for trying to help her through her grief we took the dog...  We hated that dog.  She was the stupidest dog I've ever owned.  She wouldn't stay in the yard, and on the chain continually tried to hang herself... We ended up giving her to a rancher that had enough land for her to run and run.  It was just too soon, we weren't ready to take the responsibilty for something new... Nanook had been a beloved member of our family and we needed to grieve his loss.  Although, within a few months, one of my mom's co-workers dogs had puppies and he begged her to come look at them, she did, and the dam (mother dog) look almost identical to Nanook, my mom couldn't help but get one of the pups (who btw looks nothing like Nook did, because she's malamute/samoyed  mix not pure), but she actually ended up being a pretty good fit for our family, although recently (she's 12 or 13 years old now), she's got it in her mind somehow that her age gives her the right to do whatever she wants regardless of training or instruction...

Anyways, I digress, I guess the point of me telling you that story was to say, you should be grieving!  Don't go grab the first dog offered to you, let things fall where they may, and if by chance you see a dog and just know that it belongs with you, go for it, but don't expect it to replace the one you lost.

Personally, I always get a new puppy before my current dog goes... My chihuahua (the one I had when I was a kid; I kept it after I moved out, she was definitely my dog, ya know...) lived to be 22 years old, and we ended up having to put her down to relieve her pain... I got Mudd when she was 18 and very obviously on a downward spiral, and I used her to train Mudd on the basics of how I expected him to behave (although Mudd's training has now FAR exceeded Baby's [Baby was stubborn and refused to learn commands such as 'sit' 'stay' or 'lay'])...  Getting a new dog settled in and trained before the old one goes is something I've picked up from my dad, not only is it easier to train the puppy with an adult dog guiding them, but honestly, it's not quite as hard on the family when the older one dies (there's still sadness and grieving, but there isn't like an empty space needing to be filled either). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)