Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

spayed and in heat?!

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:57 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 171 Total Views
Is it possible for a dog to go into "heat" after being spayed? She is 9 months old, and was spayed at 8 weeks old. She isn't bleeding but the last week has been extremely antsy. It seems hard for her to just settle down, almost like she is nervous about something.
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Beenthere3times
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 7:01 AM

Sounds more like she's entering the teen years. Have you taken her to puppy school. It's possible for dogs just like humans to develop fears etc.. if she hasn't been getting enough exposure to different things in her environment, it's also possible she needs more physical activity which might be causing her antsy behaviour. I have never ever heard of a dog going into heat after being spayed, because the girly parts aren't there anymore.

MamaNickelatti
by on May. 5, 2014 at 8:02 AM
We live on a farm, have another dog and my in laws have two. Plus she has a weekly play date with mu SIL's dog and we have a 2 and 4 year old. She definitely gets PLENTY of energy.

I was more wondering if the hormones that come along with them going into heat would still be present and causing her to act weird. I know she can't physically go in heat.

Quoting Beenthere3times:

Sounds more like she's entering the teen years. Have you taken her to puppy school. It's possible for dogs just like humans to develop fears etc.. if she hasn't been getting enough exposure to different things in her environment, it's also possible she needs more physical activity which might be causing her antsy behaviour. I have never ever heard of a dog going into heat after being spayed, because the girly parts aren't there anymore.

Beenthere3times
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Everything is removed including the ovaries, but you can always call her vet, they will give you a definite answer. Then let me know, thanks! Always want to learn something new.

CollinBayleeMom
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 4:12 PM

It is possible, but I don't know if it would cause her to be more antsy.  My Sheltie is eight yrs old today, she was spayed at 6 months, but STILL bleeds and draws unwanted attention from our two yr old Lab (who's also fixed) every eight months or so.  This started when she was about three yrs old.  I was outside with her and noticed that when she peed, it was blood-tinged.  When I took her to the vet, they said she had a kidney infection.  We cleared that up, then 6-8 months later, it happened again.  Again she was diagnosed with kidney infection.  The THIRD time this happened, we took her to a different vet.  They said there was no sign of infection and that most likely, the vet who spayed her didn't remove all the "tissue" so her body was acting like she was in heat.  They told us that it wouldn't cause her any problems, and of course she can't get preganant, so we decided to just leave it alone.  When I think about it though, I wish we'd made the vet who spayed her go back in and get the rest of the tissue since unspayed females can get pyometra and although she's not completely "unspayed", from what I've researched, she CAN still get it (we don't know if the vet left ovarian tissue or uterine tissue).  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyometra

CollinBayleeMom
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Okay, just read some more on the link I posted...so I guess the vet would have had to leave ovarian tissue (duh, me lol) because female dogs need ovaries to ovulate/bleed, but we don't know if he also left uterine tissue and if so, my Sheltie COULD get pyometra.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)