Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need all the help I can get!

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:00 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 188 Total Views

OK, here's my problem.  I have a 4 year old Siberian husky named Asia.  Best dog ever.  Problem, she is and always has been a very fussy eater.  Not the "they'll eat when they're hungry" kind of dog.  More like the "Will starve herself to death before she eats kibble" kind of dog.  She is very petite, always 35 lbs.  Not less, not more.  When she was about a year old we started having to cook her up rice and ground beef to mix with her kibble in order to get her to eat.  I thad been going fine for the last 3 years.  She would have days where she didn't eat, but we're used to it.  Then just before X-Mas she pretty much stopped eating.  I would say in the last month she has finished her meal only a handful of times.  The rest of the time she either doesn't touch it at all, or just picks at it.  Personally I think she is a bit depressed because we've been having very cold weather and she doesn't get to go for walks like she normally does.  So anyways, I tried switching from beef to pork, different kibble, anything I could think of, but she just won't eat!  I took her to the vet over the weekend and she now weighs 28lbs.  Trust me, she cannot afford to lost 7lbs.  Her ribs are sticking out, and her spine.  Yuck.  They took blood and it came back that she has low protein, but I think it's just because she hasn't eaten a real meal in so long.

My question:  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get my dog to eat?  Trust me, we've tried everything.  Even the BARF diet.  She looked at me like I was insane when I gave her raw meat. LOL   

Here is my sweet, beautiful Asia

DSCN0555.jpg picture by jdcollison

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
kallison
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 8:42 PM
I would see about getting a consult with an internal medicine person. Barring that, I would get intestinal biopsies to check for inflammatory bowel disease, try comprehensive deworming, and trial of mirtazapine. I would also have the teeth checked by a vet that can determine if there are problems that cause her to fear eating.
KaelinsMama
by on Jan. 29, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Thanks.  They have now ruled out liver and kidney problems.  Next step will be the intestines.  She has been pretty good this week.  The weather warmed up and we have made an effort to take her for a walk every day.  I think this has helped.  But I will continue with the vet for now until she starts to gain back some of the weight that she lost.

CollinBayleeMom
by Member on Feb. 2, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Have you tried putting warm water or chicken/beef broth on her food?  My female Sheltie isn't a big eater either, but I recently started putting water on her food and let it sit for a few minutes and she now gobbles it up.  You can also try adding cottage cheese, yogurt, a scrambled egg, boiled hamburger or chicken, or other HEALTHY human food.  I hope you are able to get your furbaby to start eating soon.  She is beautiful!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)