Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyones cat have FLUTD or chronic UTIs? (PIOG)

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:45 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 182 Total Views

Well my cat was just diagnosed with FLUTD (lower urinary tract disease).  He has moderate triple phosphate crystals.  The vet recommended i switch him to Science Diet C/D but I HATE Science diet.  I feed all my animals Wellness brand, its all whole foods no byproducts or fillers.  So, I switched kitty to the Wellness line "CORE" its grain free and ph balanced.  The company rep said they have just as much luck with it in these cats as the science diet.

So I was just wondering what everyone does for their FLUTD cats?  Food, meds, watering, supplements, holistic approaches, etc?

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
kallison
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 7:47 PM
I am a vet and deal with FLUTD regularly. FWIW, Hills does not have a good diet for this problem: they are currently trying to develop one (just invited to a dinner meeting about entering our patients in a study). However, Royal Canin does have a GREAT food for this problem: canned s/o. I like this diet because it has helped virtually every cat that I have started on it. Please keep in mind, about the only way to treat this problem is "holistically" or with treating the whole cat. Changing the food, adding water fountains to increase drinking, pain management, etc are all cornerstones. About 85% of these urinary problems are due to sterile inflammation" (ie not infection), 10% are due to stones, and 5% are due to infection. Treating with antibiotics without proving that there is an infection by doing a culture is wrong unless the cat is older and has a problem like diabetes, which predisposes it to infection. Pain management: I like transmucosal buprenex. Tramadol works ok but can cause difficulty urinating. Butorphanol is worthless when given orally. Over 90% of it is removed by the liver before the body can actually use it. There are other things like fish oil supplements and glucosamine can help too. If your vet only gives antibiotics and tells you to start c/d, please investigate finding a new vet, preferably one that is a member of Veterinary Information Network (VIN.com).
beth1281
by on Jan. 29, 2009 at 8:43 AM

Thanks for the info, I'm actually a vet tech, but I havent worked in small animal in a very long time.  At the time of my cats diagnosis, he did have a cultured UTI and we put him on Clavamox, other than that, the vet only recommended the C/D.  Outside of the the one UTI, which he's only had two in his whole life, he's 6 or 7yrs; he's seems asymptomatic, no straining, frequency, weight loss or signs of pain.  I did look into Royal Canin, but I found a holistic brand I liked better, its called Wysong "Uretic" formula.  They also have prescription diets, but their oncall vet recommended starting him off with their OTC line. 

He drinks frequently as it is and I mix a good amount of water with his food BID.  He's a little pig so its not hard to get him to eat or drink.  Oddly enough, the one thing hes does not like is fish oil?? Go figure, maybe he'll take it if I mix it with canned food.  Can you recommend a glucosamine supplement?  I know of the cosequin for cats and I've been told its the same as the human version, can I use the cheaper human version?

Quoting kallison:

I am a vet and deal with FLUTD regularly. FWIW, Hills does not have a good diet for this problem: they are currently trying to develop one (just invited to a dinner meeting about entering our patients in a study). However, Royal Canin does have a GREAT food for this problem: canned s/o. I like this diet because it has helped virtually every cat that I have started on it. Please keep in mind, about the only way to treat this problem is "holistically" or with treating the whole cat. Changing the food, adding water fountains to increase drinking, pain management, etc are all cornerstones. About 85% of these urinary problems are due to sterile inflammation" (ie not infection), 10% are due to stones, and 5% are due to infection. Treating with antibiotics without proving that there is an infection by doing a culture is wrong unless the cat is older and has a problem like diabetes, which predisposes it to infection. Pain management: I like transmucosal buprenex. Tramadol works ok but can cause difficulty urinating. Butorphanol is worthless when given orally. Over 90% of it is removed by the liver before the body can actually use it. There are other things like fish oil supplements and glucosamine can help too. If your vet only gives antibiotics and tells you to start c/d, please investigate finding a new vet, preferably one that is a member of Veterinary Information Network (VIN.com).

kallison
by Member on Jan. 29, 2009 at 7:51 PM
Try this website. It should help. Again, VERY important to rule out other causes of pain and inflammation. The fact that a culture showed infection is worrisome. Have you had an imaging done? I would do survey rads, dye study, and ultrasound. He is young to have an infection unless there is some anatomical predisposition. http://vet.osu.edu/indoorcat.htm Good luck
beth1281
by on Jan. 30, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Hmm, I hadnt thought of that, and no vet has ever recommended it.  I'll schedule him for at least an xray, I dont know that I can afford all three diagnostics at once.  Now is there a limit to how much he can drink?  Because quite honestly I can fill his food dish with as much water as I want and he'll drink it to get to the food.  Ritght now he gets about 1/2 a cup of water w/ food BID plus what he drinks on his own.  Is this too much? Too little?

Quoting kallison:

Try this website. It should help. Again, VERY important to rule out other causes of pain and inflammation. The fact that a culture showed infection is worrisome. Have you had an imaging done? I would do survey rads, dye study, and ultrasound. He is young to have an infection unless there is some anatomical predisposition. http://vet.osu.edu/indoorcat.htm Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)