• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My two cockatiels are mean as heck! please help!

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:32 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 216 Total Views

I received two cockatiels from a lady my husband works with. One is male and one is female. I am not sure how old they are. But i hear birds are really hard to age. Anyways... from what i can tell they have never been handled before. they bite and scream and run away from us. here lately I have been trying to spend a lot of my time sitting next to thema nd trying to hand feed them. though they'll only come to me right now if i'm on the outside of the cage. LOL. I like to leave the cage door open because the male likes to climb out and onto the top of the cage. Does anyone know if i'm doing this right? ive never had a cockatiel before and i am really looking forward to being able to hold them and pet them. please give me any advice you can. thankyou very much!!!

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
KyliesMom5
by Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:14 PM

I don't that i would leave the cage door open at this point at least not until they are more comfortable with you.  Are their wings clipped? They can be very hard to catch if they decide to take flight around the house.  

It will take some time but if you are willing to spend time with them everyday they will come around.  I have not had a cockatiel for a long time but i do remember how much time we spent with them.  Talk to them and i would also get a pair of thick gloves,maybe gardening gloves so that if they bite it won't hurt or at least not as much.  I would put your glove wearing hand in the cage and just let it be in there so that they get used to that then when they are comfortable start trying to pet them. Just take it slow and don't rush them. They will eventually be comfortable enough to get on your hand and even let you stroke them. 

barefootNky113
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Quoting KyliesMom5:

I don't that i would leave the cage door open at this point at least not until they are more comfortable with you.  Are their wings clipped? They can be very hard to catch if they decide to take flight around the house.  

It will take some time but if you are willing to spend time with them everyday they will come around.  I have not had a cockatiel for a long time but i do remember how much time we spent with them.  Talk to them and i would also get a pair of thick gloves,maybe gardening gloves so that if they bite it won't hurt or at least not as much.  I would put your glove wearing hand in the cage and just let it be in there so that they get used to that then when they are comfortable start trying to pet them. Just take it slow and don't rush them. They will eventually be comfortable enough to get on your hand and even let you stroke them. 

i did clip their wings so they culdn't fly around. I try to spend as much time with them as i can. i just can't wait till they trust me!

emmyandmadi
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:11 PM

I like your birds my male cockatiel loves to get out and fly around the house.  He's usually confined to one room though so he can't escape.  I don't believe in clipping their wings.  I believe they should be left as God intended.  Anyway my female came from a breeder and she always had wings clipped and to this day some 10 years later she still can't fly without crashing.  She likes to get out and fly from the cage to the bed or couch but if she gets scared she'll go off course and crash.  Birds bond real easy to a person and often take a long time to bond to newbies.  Offer them cherrios they should soon realize your nice.  My female used to bite alot but over the years shes tamed down. My male however will bite the pea out of you when he don't wanna be touched.  I used to let them breed and raise their own babies.  All were handeld alot some stayed tame some like the one i sold my uncle got mean as a snake.  She never liked anyone to touch her. Anyway just enjoy the company of the birds and if you need any more advice feel free to contact me.

emmyandmadi
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:12 PM

By the way our birds are total twins.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)