Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Loomed Snowman #1

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2011 at 11:54 AM
  • 15 Replies
  • 541 Total Views

I used the bev's country cottage loomed snowman pattern that michiganmom116 posted in the Christmas decoration patterns post to make this little guy.  He's 11" tall and the first thing I've made on the loom that wasn't a hat!  Yes, I got adventerous!

I only made a few small changes to the pattern.  First, I used the pattern for the nose of the TP cozy snowman (also in the Christmas decoration patterns post) to make his.  I used a G hook though because I don't have a lot of patience with an E hook. 

I stuffed his bottom half with a sock filled with beans, and I think it makes him look slightly deformed, so I need to come up with a better plan for my next one. 

I sewed on his eyes with a needle and thread, and then I ran out of patience with the tiny thread and needle, and decided to use a thin black yarn and a yarn needle that was small enough to fit through the button holes to attach the other 6.

For his scarf, I tried first to crochet it.  I used the 2 strands of blus, and an N hook, but it was coming out so stiff, that I decided to loom it instead.   I used the blue round loom and only 5 pegs to make his scarf.

All in all, he's not bad for my first non-hat, loomed project!  Slightly deformed, but that's ok.  I had a lot of fun making the little details .. the carrot nose, the scarf fringe, the tiny pom-pom on his hat.  He took me about a day to make, but I think if I had sat down and worked on him straight through, maybe 3 hours of work.

I've started my next snowman, and I'll post pics of him when I get done!

by on Dec. 2, 2011 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Group Owner on Dec. 2, 2011 at 12:01 PM

He's CUTE!  nice job!

Oneatatimemommy
by on Dec. 2, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Real cute!  I want to make one but need to learn a little more before I take the leap.

BJsMommy04
by Group Admin on Dec. 2, 2011 at 12:21 PM

He's cute. I think you did a great job for being the first one.

Jennifair
by on Dec. 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Quoting Oneatatimemommy:

Real cute!  I want to make one but need to learn a little more before I take the leap.

I'm with ya one that one. lol there are so many cool patterns but I'm so new at it , it kinda scares me . lol 

hollybear1280
by on Dec. 2, 2011 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks ladies!!

Quoting Jennifair:

Quoting Oneatatimemommy:

I'm with ya one that one. lol there are so many cool patterns but I'm so new at it , it kinda scares me . lol 

I'm the same way.  I know how to do the e wrap and one other stitch.  But If you know how to do the basic loom hat, you can make him.  His whole body is just one piece.  All e wrap, just like you would make a hat minus the brim.  You even gather up the top like you would a hat, and then I flipped it, filled it with stuffing, and used some white yarn to close the top just like I did the other end.  Then I did a basic e wrap hat - 8 rounds for the brim, then 7 rounds for the hat.  The scarf is also e wrapped.  Back and forth on 5 pegs til I thought it looked long enough.  Then I stuck the hat on, and put the scarf on where I thought his neck should be and pulled it a little tight to give him some shape.  His body is only 35 rows.  If I can do it, anyone can make him.

Jennifair
by on Dec. 2, 2011 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

thanx! I might get some white tonight and try it !!

Quoting hollybear1280:

Thanks ladies!!

Quoting Jennifair:

Quoting Oneatatimemommy:

I'm the same way.  I know how to do the e wrap and one other stitch.  But If you know how to do the basic loom hat, you can make him.  His whole body is just one piece.  All e wrap, just like you would make a hat minus the brim.  You even gather up the top like you would a hat, and then I flipped it, filled it with stuffing, and used some white yarn to close the top just like I did the other end.  Then I did a basic e wrap hat - 8 rounds for the brim, then 7 rounds for the hat.  The scarf is also e wrapped.  Back and forth on 5 pegs til I thought it looked long enough.  Then I stuck the hat on, and put the scarf on where I thought his neck should be and pulled it a little tight to give him some shape.  His body is only 35 rows.  If I can do it, anyone can make him.

hollybear1280
by on Dec. 2, 2011 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Great!!  You're going to need to work with 2 strands of white, so keep that in mind.  If you have any questions about him, you can ask me.  He's pretty easy though ... and a lot of fun!!

Quoting Jennifair:

thanx! I might get some white tonight and try it !!

Quoting hollybear1280:

Thanks ladies!!

Quoting Jennifair:

Quoting Oneatatimemommy:

Artladydp
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Great job!  I'm going to do this eventually.  I've gotten sidetracked with reindeer hats.  Snowmen will be next.

hollybear1280
by on Dec. 2, 2011 at 3:49 PM
Oooo I think a loomed reindeer pattern would be really cute.

Quoting Artladydp:

Great job!  I'm going to do this eventually.  I've gotten sidetracked with reindeer hats.  Snowmen will be next.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
powow65
by on Dec. 2, 2011 at 7:28 PM
he's a cutie! :) we're not super duper perfect like martha stewart's! Its ok if he's not straight. He is very cute for your first try! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)