Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coupon Organization...Ideas from the coupon lady

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2011 at 5:52 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 1425 Total Views

ok..so tami was having some issues with organizing her coupon binder in a quick manner.  i looked up some info from our local 'coupon lady' and thought i would share.  hopefully they will help everyone out.

by on Jun. 27, 2011 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
butterfly-jo
by Owner on Jun. 27, 2011 at 5:58 PM

The accordian file method:

this is the method i use currently acctually.

~i use the kind with 13 pockets..and i seperate by month..so i have one pocket for each month of the year and then an extra pocket which is where i put the ones i intend to use during a specific.
~in each pocket i seperate by category but they aren't really separate..just filed behind each other..but i sort them the same way as in a big binder..you just have to take them out to look at them.

this is effective bc i can keep all my coupons with me and not take up a ton of space.
i go through them before each trip while making my list and put them in the front pocket that i use for that..but still have all the rest in case i find something else.

it is kind of annoying to go searching for a coupon for something if i spot a sale i didn't know about to begin with...but i still like the small version.

butterfly-jo
by Owner on Jun. 27, 2011 at 6:15 PM

the binder method.  my coupon lady just switched from the accordian method to this method.

in the very front she keeps her restaraunt and retail coupons as well as gift cards, extra care bucks and loyalty cards (kroger card, cvs card..ect)

then she has a huge table of contents
1..baking                       11,.health&beauty:personal stuff..make up, etc
2..baby                          12..healthy&beauty:personal care...oral
3..breakfast                   13..health&beauty: soap and hair
4..beverages                 14..laundry     
5..canned goods          15..Meat
6..cleaning                    16..medical / first aid
7..condiments               17..paper products
8..dairy / refrigerated   18..pets
9..dry / pantry items     19..produce
10..frozen                      20..snacks

and separates all those accordingly.  she uses the 9 pocket (like baseball card holders) for smaller ones and the 6 pocket ones (hobby lobby) for larger ones.

she gets our the ones she plans on using for a trip and puts them in an envelope,but still takes the whole thing, just in case

she gets out ones that will expire that week to use if she is going to, or toss if she won't and adds the ones she will use to the envelope.

she said that it took her a couple of hours to organize it when she first made it, like 1/2  day..but now she spends about an hour each sunday putting in the new coupons and doing any organizing that needs to be done.

butterfly-jo
by Owner on Jun. 27, 2011 at 6:17 PM

oh..i forgot to add...she doesn't necessarily organize further within each category.  like she isn't going to move around a bunch of stuff to put all the hair stuff together and all the soap stuff together bc within that tab...that is all there is, so it is pretty simple.  i looked at her binder while i was at the coupon class and it looks pretty organized...i really liked it, i just would hate to have to carry something like that every time i went shopping!!

TiffnTravsMommy
by Owner on Jun. 27, 2011 at 6:20 PM

thank you muches :-) I prefer the binder method and I organize the sections by the layout of the store (sad...i know lol) but this has really helped. I am on the right path though! yay!

butterfly-jo
by Owner on Jun. 27, 2011 at 7:17 PM

she said that she used to do the lay out of the store too..but it wasn't efficient for her, plus she would sometimes go to different stores.  but it seems like she has lots of dividers...so hopefully that will help you.

melsayree
by on Jul. 30, 2011 at 11:49 PM

I have been following KCL, and so I think I am going to clip my coupons and put them in baseball sleeves but organize them by the insert they came out of. I'll see how that works for me for a while.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)