Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Introductions

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2007 at 12:42 PM
  • 49 Replies
  • 1548 Total Views

hey, since we're all new, i thought it'd be a good thing to let each other know who we are.

i am 32, my dh is 34. we've been trying to have a baby for at least two years. we were about to do IVF and it got delayed a couple of times. Then we went t an adoption seminar and decided that adoption was a better fit for us than IVF. The rest is history.

We are committed to an open adoption.

We are adopting through Catholic Social Services, which is a quasi public agency. They only work with infants.

We have said that we think a caucasian or hispanic infant fits with our family. (we live in the deep south, and NONE of my relatives are non-causasian). I am olive-skinned, so i think a hospanic baby could pass as ours.

We just decided that while we couldn't care less what the ancestry of our children is, we'd prefer that they not have a sign over their head that says "ADOPTION."  Although, i am VERY torn about this, b.c i know at least ten families who adopted across race and couldn't not be happier nor have more well adjusted kids.

So, that's my story, what's your??

by on Oct. 16, 2007 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MayDayGirl
by Member on Oct. 16, 2007 at 2:24 PM
We're 24 and 26, been married 3 1/2 years and tried for 2+ years to have a baby... when faced with IVF we decided to move onto adoption.  We have very little preferences for our child's race.  We just cannot wait to be matched and placed!
kabel
by New Member on Oct. 16, 2007 at 2:35 PM
Hi!

I am 28 and my DH (Nick) is 30.  After 2 years of infertility treatments, we came to the crossroad of IVF or adoption.  I was so tired of all the medicines and procedures and was fully committed to adoption.  My DH, on the other hand, wanted to try IVF first.  We started the protocol and my body just wouldn't cooperate.  After 2 months of failed attempts to get all the numbers where they needed to be in order to move forward with IVF, he too was ready to "give up" that journey.  In August, we decided to stop all treatments and focus only on adoption.  We have just completed our homestudy and I'm trying really, really hard to get our profile finished.  It should be done by the end of the week!

We are adopting a domestic newborn.  Having a newborn was super-important to my husband so that ruled out international adoption.  We have no limits on the baby's race.  We truly believe we will be matched with the child meant for us.

Best of luck to everyone!
Kristal
txsmom07
by on Oct. 16, 2007 at 4:37 PM
My name is Kim (39). My hubby is 36. We went through everything and stopped short of IVF. We decided we were ok with not being parents and put it in God's hands. Then out of the blue I became pregnant (quite a shock!). The very next day I was rushed to ER with an ectopic pregancy that had ruptured. That was a year ago. Just about 5 weeks ago we got a phone call from a friend of a friend. She works at a hospital here and had a 14 year old girl that wanted to give her baby for adoption. She was due Oct 6. We met, got very excited, and then the week before baby was due, she changed her mind and kept the baby. We were just getting over that (if you ever really do) when the same friend called and said something very unusual had happened. She has another Mom that is in same situation. However, she is in her 40's.  She is very sure that she does not want to keep it, due to finances, she's single, father out of picture, etc. She thinks it wouldn't be fair to baby. So here we go again. We have started the process. Baby is due Nov 27! We are cautiously optimistic about this. We believe it is God's plan for us!

This will be what is called an independent adoption. No agency. Just lawyers. It should cost around $3500 for everything.

That's my story. So now we are anxiously awaiting the arrival!

Kim
CrystalBug
by on Oct. 16, 2007 at 5:50 PM
hi I'm Crystal.  We are preparing to start the process for our second one, probably the beginning of the year.  Adoption is a wonderful thing and such a blessing has come to our family.  We were never concerned about race because we are all the same in Gods eyes.  We also went through some infertility, but I could only stand a year and we couldn't afford to do IVF, in my heart I always knew that adoption was going to be my route for building up my family. 

Adoption Beauty Marked (for those touched by adoption)

curly714
by Member on Oct. 16, 2007 at 6:22 PM
Hi everyone.  I am 29 and my husband is 28.  We waited to start having a family because we weren't financially set and I was working on my Master's Degree.  The spring before we were going to start I was diagnosed with cancer.  Chemo and radiation "cooked and scrambled my eggs" as I like to call it.  We looked into IVF but I wasn't comfortable with the process.  So my husband and I decided to look into adoption.  I am Hispanic and he is caucasian so we are open to either race or a combination.  We submitted our application with Spence-Chapin in NYC and are waiting to hear if we were accepted.  God has taken me this far and I know a family is in His plans for us.
Pieta0227
by on Oct. 16, 2007 at 10:22 PM
My name is Carissa.  My hubby, Jonathan, and I have decided to adopt from foster care.  We have not even started the classes yet (the first step).  We have two beautiful daughters, Tatumn, 6, and Autumn,3.  We are a military family living in KS.  We are wanting to adopt a boy. 

Stephen Colbert for President 2008!!!
lil-miss-bossy
by Member on Oct. 16, 2007 at 11:35 PM
heyyyy. I'm lisa, My husband is Chris, I have two bio children, Alexis13 yrs. and Daniel 6 yrs. We are homestudy approved and licensed for foster care. We are just WAITING to get a call saying they found a teenager or two to bring into our home. We are adopting through foster care.
FinallyAMom63
by on Oct. 17, 2007 at 7:32 AM
My DH and I tried for 4 years to get pregnant.  We did 3 IUI'sand then thought about adoption.   We started our adoption journey in January of 2006.  We met with a facilitator and applied with 5 different agencies.  We got numerous calls to be shown to a BM (some we were shown too and some we were not). 

We were matched in May 2006.  The BM wasn't due until November 2006.  We met them and everything seemed good.  She had a 1-800 number to call us and she did.  Eventually, she started saying she needed more  money or she was going to cut the match.  We couldn't deal with this so we dropped it. 

We then did two rounds of IVF. I got pregnant both times with the IVF, but miscarried early on and had an ectopic pregnancy.  We still had enough embryos to do a couple more FET, but we decided to go the adoption route again. 

We updated our home study in May 2007.  It was in the process of being completed when we got a call from our facilitator.  She said a baby was already born and the agency needed one family, and the facilitator was picking us as the family.  We couldn't believe it.  We had to drive 12 hours to pick up the baby from the hospital the next day.  We didn't have anything because I didn't want to have to look at it while we were waiting.  We had to stop at Wal-Mart on the way out of town just to get essentials.  Thankfully, there was a Wal-Mart 5 minutes from the hotel.

When we got back we registered at Babies-R-Us which was something I thought I might not ever get to do.  I still had to have some bloodwork done to make sure my HCG was below one from the last ectopic pregnancy, and the doctor's office was right next door to BRU.  I took pictures of our little one, and they were all so happy for me.  It was so much fun!!  We set up our nursery and the rest is history. 

We feel so blessed by God.  He was showing us we just needed to trust him and have patience.  Our DS is the best baby in the world (ok I'm a little predjudiced), but I have the right to be.

I hope everyone on the board who is waiting to adopt will have quick matches and can experience the love and joy that my DH and I have experienced over the last few months.

Nicks_bride
by on Oct. 17, 2007 at 3:32 PM
My husband and I have been married for a little over 2 years.  I have always known that I wanted to adopt.  We haven't tried to conceive, but I have been diagnosed with PCOS in the past and we know that conceiving may be difficult.  We are looking to adopt a child, between the ages of 2 and 9 through the foster care system.  We actually have a situation that we are looking into right now.  My husband has a second cousin that is in foster care in Texas.  He is 2 years old and we are trying to get more information to see if he is available for adoption.

Nick and I are both finishing school this year and also work.  I am a Children's and Youth Minister and Nick is going into the Public School system next fall.  We live in NC but are from VA and FL.  We are hoping to have a child in our home by next summer.

ameliasmama1026
by on Oct. 17, 2007 at 8:11 PM
Hi my name is Mandi.  My husband Greg and are are almost done with the homestudy.  We just have a final interview then we will be waiting.  We have a bio daughter who will be 3 next week.

Love and Hugs

Mandi

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)