Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Boer goats?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 1:39 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 240 Total Views
Hello everyone. My name is Tamara and we are in the process of moving into the country here in Colorado and I was just wondering who has Boer goats and how it is taking care of them? Do you sell their offsprings? How is that going? Any info s helpful. I am new to the ranching biz and I am excited but also scared because I really don't know too much about it. I love animals and it seems that boer goats are the best to start off with. Thanks for any and all information!
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
nannab
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:25 PM

sorry i wish i could help but i never had goats, good luck though

abearshug
by on Aug. 9, 2007 at 1:52 PM
We had a bore Goat !  He got really mean because, we didn't castrate him .  We wanted to use him for breeding purposes!  He was also really stinky!  At the time we only had a place in the barn for him...now we have a fenced in area outside!  I would not recommend keeping billy's in the barn.  It's ok. if they have a place inside but, make sure they can go out! 

A bore goat also gets pretty big!  I would recommend that you find someone to burn there horns when there babies because, we didn't have his removed and we had to get rid of him...He was really mean!  and never touch or play with there heads or horns!   hmmmm.....lets see what else!

Bore goats are a great way to go if you want to sell them for meat!  I would keep a couple for breeding (bucks/billys) and sell the rest once they get bigger!  the girls you can keep to reproduce and when you get to many you can sell them to!  You would have to find a sales stable that auctions goats off!

If your looking for a pet I would recommend something smaller like a pigmey or fainting (myotomic) goat! 

We are raising fainting goats now!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)