Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to plan a 7 yr-old Birthday Party...when your a very SHY mom?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:39 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 185 Total Views

How do you plan a birthday party for a soon-to-be 7 year old, when you are not friends with any of your daughter's classmate moms or girl scout moms.  I am very shy and self-reserved.  I have problems opening up to other parents.  Now I find myself in a very bad situation.  My daughter wants to have an ice-skating birthday party.  I love the idea, but I have no clue of who to invite or how many.  My daughter unfortunately is not best friends with any other child.  Although, she is very close to her cousin.  I am soooo worried that she will be rejected and not meet the 10 child minimum for the party (I can't invite the whole class of nearly 26, I'll go broke).  How on earth do you know if the children you invite will show?  This is so frustrating.  I never did a birthday party for her and other classmates.  HELP!!  I will listen to any and all advice!!

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
threeBoysMommy
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 10:51 AM

I am so sorry you feel this way. I had a house party with my sons class.... now 7 and only two kids showed up and I invited the whole class!!! How up setting that was to him and me. The problem these days with parties are people cant afford gifts so they are little more less likely to come to them.

I suggest maybe a day time sleep over..... do noon - 4 or 5 and have the girls come in their PJ's. Allow music and make overs etc (PIOG). Then take her and her cousin ice skating together. That way she gets both...... you can write on the invite gift optional to make the parents feel a little better about allowing their child to come.

Hope this helps a little

Being shy is hard!!! I have a hard time making friends too but its because of me.... I am scared of what people think of me..... I have a 7 year old son who is extremely shy and is picked on in school all of the time....I feel so horrible for him and I try to invite kids over but they just never show..... so I feel like its my fault!

theshy1
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 8:11 PM

That's awful that your son has kids teasing him.  You feel so powerless as a parent.  When my daughter has problems with other kids...my first reaction is anger then helplessness.  If you ever need to talk or to just vent...I am here to listen. 

I like your idea about just keeping it simple and small...that definitely is within my budget.  Thanks again. 

Happy New Year!!

raebabe
by on Jan. 30, 2009 at 5:52 PM

I'm sorry that your a shy mom, thats tough because its hard to get you kid out there as it is.

My advice to you is fake it.  I'm not confident as I let on but I never let my kids see that, I encourage them to put themselves out there.  You can invite only the girls/or boys in the class.  This is perfectly acceptable because otherwise its too expensive.  Have it in a public place like bowling, movies, laser tag, whatever.  The parties are only an hour and half long.

As parents and kids arrive introdue yourself and ask the other parents about the teacher and if they have other kids.  Not all parents like these situations but we do it for our kids.  Invite the cousin and any other neighborhood friends that you know will show up. 

Trust me you'll probably get 10 kids, not all parties require 10 so look into that as well.  I hope this helps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)