Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi..new to group, but here is a family craftition for my kids

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 12:25 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 505 Total Views

My kids have done this for years, but it will be a first for my step kids, as this is the first time we have ever had them on Thanksgiving..we have custody now..

anyway..you get craft paper..the wide kind,( I order this from my art supply company about 2x a year when they have good shipping discounts) , we have also used poster board cut to size..

Fall leaf rubber stamps..even a few pumpkins if you want..(save the turkey;s for the next project)

Fall colored inks, chalk stamp pads, markers or stamp pads..

Clear contact paper..or laminate

1)..cut your paper to the size of a standard place mat..you can chose the shape you want..

2) Use your stamps to create a theme or pattern..or just let the kids go crazy with them!

When the ink is dry..let the kids sign them, and date them, then laminate them with the contact paper as re-useable holiday keepsakes.. that you, your kids, & your guest(family ?) are likely to remember each year..& you are starting a tradition, & finding a way to ''unwind'' on a really busy day..

(if you're traveling or like me have way too much, or too many people to make them for, OR too many kids to do it all in one day, OR ALL of the above, start early with this project and have it done before you ever have to think about that pie!

My 2nd craft..place cards...a couple of years ago there was a Jo Anns where we were living, and i LOVED it, I found these blank cards, that were shaped like umm bare with me, my scanner/printer got broken when we moved..anyway..it is strait on top then goes down at about a 45 degree angle on each side then strait again..(I hope that makes sense) anyway..the envelope matches the shape of the card, and I thought they were very cute..so I bought SEVERAL pks  of them.. so I made one for my sister and it came back saying that it wasn't a  mailable shape..IDK..it made me mad..so I have just used them for other things..

like ..place cards..(keepsake ones..)

The kids just stamp the design on the outside, and I will emboss the sentiment on the inside bottom, and the date..and place..etc..on the inside top and emboss., then I calligraphy the recipient's name on the front..we only do one for couples..

Sometimes we are not that intricate..sometimes I let them do the whole thing..we always make sure to keep a set of what ever craft we are doing for the set of aunts/uncles/grandparents that are missing that holiday..

by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 12:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
nana9195
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 12:29 AM

SOUNDS LIKE FUN  HOPE YOU AND THE STEP KIDS WILL ENJOY IT I WILL TRY THEM WITH MY GRANDBOYS THANKS FOR SHARING 

puppy   ANA RUIZ

Bizmom
by on Nov. 23, 2009 at 2:00 AM

Cute, we do our regular fall leaves garlands and place mats, using a leaf stamp and a leaf punch out. great turkey tradition.

Bizmom

wave

soccerjunki
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 11:18 AM

I need something new to do , since we do multiple diners with different sides of the family, and I was wondering what else everyone did?

I like the garladn idea..that sounds very pretty....I do that at Christmas..and put battery operated lights through it..my kids love it..so does my husbands grandmother lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)