Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP PLEASE! Need ideas for a couple's gift

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2009 at 11:05 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 253 Total Views

Hi Ladies - So many of you have so many great ideas, I need some of your brilliant ideas for a Christmas gift for an older couple (a grandma/grandpa type).  It's harder as a couple because they are into different types of things -- she is all about anything with hearts (okay, that's easy enough) and he is into hunting & wilderness kind of stuff (definitely not my thing)... their home is decorated with a lot of patriotic themed stuff, but they already have plenty throw blankets, so the fleece blanket idea is out. She hates cooking, although she does it anyway most nights, so I was considering some sort of basket with a throw together meal kind of concept but don't know what since it has to be mostly non-refrigerated. But I am open to any & all suggestions, food related or not. I'm pretty crafty but for some reason this one is just stumping me and they are a really special couple to us, so I'd like to make/get something extra special.

Any thoughts or suggestions??? I appreciate everyones help & ideas!

Happy Holidays & Happy Crafting!

reindeer 1reindeer 2reindeer 2reindeer 2sleigh

by on Dec. 8, 2009 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
SLGIRL
by on Dec. 8, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Try making a movie basket.  Put in 2 or 3 movies, microwave popcorn, popcorn containers - I found some cute ones last year at dollar general, some boxes of movie candy - walmart usually has them & some bottled pop.  I hope this helps.  Merry Christmas.

beachbride
by on Dec. 8, 2009 at 11:27 AM

If they are really family oriented, Hobby Lobby has some really nice collage style frames with different sayings on them. That is what I got for DHs parents and I probably will for mine too. I got one that says Grandchildren are blessings, and I am going to put pics of our kids in a few of the places and leave some open for them to put pics of their other grandkids in. I know that my MIL and FIL will love it because they dont get to see their grandkids much. Otherwise, the movie night basket is an awesome idea, or you could do one with dry mixes like cookie mix, cake mix and hot chocolate mix. You can either make the jars of mixes yourself or buy them pre-made. Or, something fun like his and her bath basket (who doesnt like a relaxing spa-like bath?). Depending on how much you want to spend, you could do his and hers robes, candles, soaps & bath salts are nice. You could also do a gift card for a restaurant that they really like. Check out their menu and make sure that it is enough to cover what two meals would cost plus a tip.

For the outdoors man you can not go wrong with a Bass Pro gift card (if you have one near you), or any outdoors shop like that. That way they can go buy their own camo, amo, boots, fishing rods, lures, whatever they are into. My hubby is a hunter/outdoors man and that is what he asked for this year.

Hope that helps. Good luck and Merry Christmas to you.

JustGail
by on Dec. 8, 2009 at 11:46 AM

you could make up a gift basket of a themed food  type....ie.....Italian, chinese etc.

or you could get them some christmas decorations

or

a goft certificate to a local restaurant and movie theater

flirtylingerie_2039_1041798643.gif picture by taratalnenetz

soccerjunki
by on Dec. 8, 2009 at 3:24 PM

I like the theme basket ideas. especially the movie one..I would like one of those myself...or get them some gift certificates to a couple of their favorite restaurants...since she doesn't like to cook..

MNMom247365
by on Dec. 8, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Give them a date night basket: A gift certificate to a restraunt and then one to the movies or a museum (something they would both like and can do together) and then add in a book about love, a Marriage Joke book( http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Best-Marriage-Jokes-jokes/dp/0006378390), something they can read over dinner or a marriage devotional, if they are into that type of thing. Hope this helps.

*** If the restraunt and the movies are too pricey then do a homecooked meal basket idea and add the movie tickets***

Alieda
by on Dec. 9, 2009 at 9:45 AM

If they are patriotic and have a place to hang it how about a USA flag

Do you garden or like to be in they yard if so how about a couple of lawn chairs or something else for the yard

The movie basket is a wonderful idea

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)