Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We made salt dough ornaments today :) *PICS added*

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2009 at 9:47 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 2590 Total Views

Today my 3yo and I baked ornaments for the first time!

It made 46 of them!! We're going to paint them tomorrow, string them with thin green ribbon and give them out as gifts at Christmas to grandparents and godparents.

Just took 2 cups flour, 1 cup salt, 1 cup water- cut them out like you would cookies, use some food coloring if you want too.

Bake on 250 for about 2-2.5hrs or until dry and hard. Let cool over night and paint with acrylic paint- seal with an acrylic spray if you want them to last for YEARS!

They are super cute! We made stars, butterflies, santas, candy canes, horses and Christmas trees!

Its a great activity and a very nice cheap gift to pass out.

by on Dec. 9, 2009 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rebecca77
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 12:44 AM

I did this today as well. Mine burned :( The website I went to told me to put them in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour- that wasn't right! lol

I'm going to try again tomorrow.

Also, roll some out and let your child make a handprint. Still spray it with sealer and hang it up :)

sids ribbonPlease take a moment to check out Casper Mommy's forums and calender.  We are looking for more admin, if you're interest please contact me.

Mrs.Bolin
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 12:49 AM

This is fun, i did this last year when my daughter was 4 mos. I made heart shaped ornaments and put red paint on my daughters foot and stamped it onto the ornament. So cute and fun.

Medical_Mom
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 1:17 AM

I made these last year also but they puffed up and became very brittle.  Anyone have any idea about this or how to keep it from happening?  Would love to do grandson's feet and hands this year for gifts!

Thanks!

nattabugsmommy
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 2:00 AM

Quoting Medical_Mom:

I made these last year also but they puffed up and became very brittle.  Anyone have any idea about this or how to keep it from happening?  Would love to do grandson's feet and hands this year for gifts!

Thanks!

I was going to ask this also.  I made these a couple of years ago with my DD and they puffed horribly.  I did hear that if you let them dry without putting them in the oven they don't puff, but that is suppose to take weeks.  Did yours puff?? 

RoguesMommy
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Quoting nattabugsmommy:

Quoting Medical_Mom:

Thanks!

I was going to ask this also.  I made these a couple of years ago with my DD and they puffed horribly.  I did hear that if you let them dry without putting them in the oven they don't puff, but that is suppose to take weeks.  Did yours puff?? 

Out of the 46, about 3 puffed on the top, but they aren't brittle.

I'm going to guess that they will puff if you haven't kneaded the dough well enough. The more you work with the dough the smoother it becomes- also try not to use too much flour. The puffs are air bubbles that expand in the heat of the oven.

There is a recipe you can use with carn starch that is no-bake. It takes about 4-6hrs to dry out, depending on how thick you make them. 

RoguesMommy
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Quoting RoguesMommy:

Quoting nattabugsmommy:

Quoting Medical_Mom:

Thanks!

Out of the 46, about 3 puffed on the top, but they aren't brittle.

I'm going to guess that they will puff if you haven't kneaded the dough well enough. The more you work with the dough the smoother it becomes- also try not to use too much flour. The puffs are air bubbles that expand in the heat of the oven.

There is a recipe you can use with carn starch that is no-bake. It takes about 4-6hrs to dry out, depending on how thick you make them. 

Here's the no-bake recipe

No-Bake Dough Ornament Recipe

Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups flour 
1 1/2 cups corn starch 
1/2 cup salt 
1 1/2 cups very hot water 
1 T glycerine or vaseline 

Directions:
1. Mix flour and corn starch
2. Combine water, salt and glycerine until salt is dissolved
3. Add flour and starch mixture to liquid mixture, mix until it clumps
4. Form into a ball, then knead for 5-10 minutes until smooth
Note: Once complete, place dough plastic bag so it doesn't dry out.

Create:
Form ornaments - when connecting, braiding, layering pieces, coat them with water - this will act as a glue.
Insert hanging hook or ribbon while dough is soft
Let dry 2-3 hours before coating, adding decorations, or painting. 

Preservation: Making them last a long time
Coat with acrylic varnish when everything is dry.

LilyBeansMom
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 3:08 PM

We did them last year and made faces to look like every member of our family.  Everyone loved them!  Got the idea from Family Fun magazine and I know they show it on their website somewhere.

~  Lisa  ~

mommaslilman06
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 3:16 PM

thank you so much for the recipes! i wanted to do hand/foot prints for christmas gifts and was about to ask for recipes from anyone here. ill start working on them tomorrow, tonight is my baby's first birthday so we are doing things with him :D

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers        PhotobucketPhotobucketbreastfeeding,8 month

Mommygoose
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 3:25 PM

DD will LOVE these thanks!!!! 

RoguesMommy
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 4:40 PM

added pics :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)