Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Latkes

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 12:03 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 386 Total Views

• 1 pound Idaho or russet potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 3 large egg whites
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • Nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray
  • 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil (not extra-virgin) or vegetable oil

Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grate the potatoes using a box grater or the grating disk of a food processor. Transfer the potatoes to a colander over a bowl and let rest for 30 minutes, until the potatoes have darkened. Rinse well in cold water to remove the starch and the potatoes turn white again. Drain very well. Place the potatoes, onion, egg whites, seasonings and flour in a medium bowl and stir well to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 15 minutes before cooking. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.

Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat until very hot. Stir the potato mixture and, working in batches if necessary, drop the potato mixture by spoonfuls onto the hot skillet and shape them into circles. Let the latkes brown on one side, then turn them over to brown on other side.

Place the browned pancakes on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. When the tray is full, bake the latkes, uncovered, for another 10 to 15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through. Place on paper towels to absorb any fat and eat them while they're hot, with regular, low-fat or nonfat sour cream and regular or sugar-free applesauce, if desired.

Makes about 16 to 18 latkes.

Note: The trick to making these pancakes lower in fat is to use a skillet with a nonstick surface and to finish them in the oven. Serve with low-fat or nonfat sour cream and sugar-free applesauce.

by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
rkoloms
by on Dec. 11, 2009 at 7:53 AM

Latkes are the one food I never "healthify". I fry them in olive or sunflower oil, in my grandmother's cast iron pan; serve with home made apple sauce (for my German side) and sour cream (for my Russian side). And I grate the potatoes and onion (and an apple) by hand, not in the food processor.

Robin in Chicago

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)