Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fabric as wall paper, or why I did not paint a design on my book case

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:59 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 534 Total Views

I am using my son's computer so I can not post a photo of the book case that I covered in fabric.  I use some material that I had bought at a yard sale years ago and then could  not think of what to use it for.  It has a red back ground with a large print of oriental flowers, with black and gold thread.

I found some black curtains and white shear curtains for my sewing/computer room.  There is black marble press on tile on the floor.  I have enough windows so it is not gloomy.  I had a green book case that I wanted to paint black on the shelves and red out side.  Well I painted the black on the inside and it was not to bad.  But when I tried to cover the forest green out side with a primer and then red paint it look.......well just nasty.

I had a brain flash back to an old craft book about wall papering with fabric and fabric starch.   I went to the store and bought a bottle of starch.  I looked though my fabric stash and found the material.  I soaked the fabric in the starch and applied the material like wall paper to the book shelf.   While the fabric is wet it is easy to work out the air bubbles that might occur.  I turned the edge of the fabric under to hide the raw edges.  It looks great and if I ever want to remove it all I have to do is wet it down with a sponge and warm water.  The fabric peels right off.  I can wash the fabric in my washing machine to clean it.  I can reapply it or pick a new fabric and I will have a new look. 

If you are decorating a room and make curtains, buy extra fabric an cover the top of a dresser, or book case for an extra special touch.

Black Magic

at its best   Dixiecharmer

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kids1derful
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Thanks for sharing! that was such a neat idea!

emslala
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Great idea! I didn't know you could do that! 

I would love to see pics if you can get them sometime  :)

dixiecharmer
by on Jan. 21, 2010 at 2:07 AM

When I get my computer replaces I will post the photo.

Black Magic

Jodie269
by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 5:23 PM

I have been meaning to do this for sometime now but unfortunely got around to it.  There was a program showing to put Burlap Material as wall paper.  It was so neat & easy to do.  You take that Blue starch in the jug,pour into like a paint roller thing & roll the starch on the wall,thn jut place your burlap on top of the wet starch pressing it into place, then rolling over it with more starch & its done. It looked really esy & pretty.

SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 5:41 PM

When I was single and renting, I covered a wall with a sheet several times.  I used the merimekko sheet that matched my bedding....it looked awesome.

marykaymama
by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 6:01 PM

I love it!!! I have been wanting to do my walls like that for a while now but havent gotten around to it!

dixiecharmer
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Yes it is a cheap way to make removable wall paper,  I love the fact I can use material more than once.  Change my mind and it is an easy to replace with another piece of fabric. Do not tell my husband as I have bought a gallon of red paint that matches the fabric and I plan on painting the ceiling this color.  I am waiting until he goes on a fishing trip. 

Black Magic

tattooedmomma23
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Thank you 

Jodie269
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Quoting SanDiegoMaxMom:

When I was single and renting, I covered a wall with a sheet several times.  I used the merimekko sheet that matched my bedding....it looked awesome.

I bet it was beautifull.

deenakate
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Would love to see a picture...

dk 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)