Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1st Birthday party planning! (previous post on another non helpful group)

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2010 at 5:19 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 462 Total Views

Okay I have an idea for my dd 1st birthday but I need some help.  I want to do a forest animal theme and have it kind of like a fall festival or trunk or treat except in May and forest themed...like instead of tossing bean bags into a pumpkin w/holes cut out, toss them into a bear or owl.   And have a "fishing booth" in w/a pond w/lily pads painted on the "booth".  I also thought about a cardboard cutout of several forest animals in which the face are missing so the kiddos can get their pics taken in the hole...but  I can't think of anything else!!!  ANY ideas???  Please help me ladies, I know there are some super creative minds out there!  Her birthday is in May btw.

by on Jan. 22, 2010 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
fostermommyof3
by on Jan. 22, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Sounds like you have a lot of great ideas already :)   You could do a ring toss on deer antlers.  A face painting booth is always popular, even if the artists arent' that great :) I'll have to think some more...

cheriebob
by on Jan. 22, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Oooooo....those are really good ideas that I didn't even think of!  Thank you!  And yes any more will help!

kabrooks
by on Jan. 22, 2010 at 9:36 PM

How about pin the tail on the deer. Maybe some kind of scavenger hunt to find different forest animals or their tracks? 

amdiaz
by on Jan. 22, 2010 at 10:46 PM

"Feed the Monkey" Bean Bag Toss 

Paint a monkey face on a box using one large brown circle for the head and two smaller circles for the ears.Use a utility knife (ADULTS ONLY), to cut a large opening where the mouth would be and add the eyes and nose with black paint. Now make 3-4 yellow beanbags (bananas). Socks filled with dried beans and secured with rubber bands will work well. The children will take turns feeding the hungry monkey his bananas!

Pin the Tail on the Lion 

Play this game just as you would "Pin The Tail on the Donkey".Make a simple lion and tails from poster board.

Hippo in the mud

Cut brown paper in a wavy-edged pattern so that it resembles a mud puddle. Then, use the masking tape to secure the "mud" to the floor in the game area. Next, use the masking tape to "draw" a large circle (at least 5 - 7 feet in diameter) that overlaps the "mud." To Play: At the party, have your "little hippos" line up along the circle on their hands and knees, and station an adult by the stereo to start and stop the music randomly. When the music starts playing, the "hippos" must crawl along the circle (everyone in the same direction!) and across the "mud." Those "hippos" that are "stuck in the mud" when the music stops are the winners and either receive applause or a small sticker or other prize.

Kangaroo Hop Races

Have the kids race by hopping across the room the first to the finish line wins.

soccerjunki
by on Jan. 23, 2010 at 10:16 AM

make the "critter bags"..put baggies of animal cracker in there..little amimal stickers or tattoos(my kids love tattoos for some reason..) you could probably find some really cute cheapo stuff at the $$ store and Michael's between now and the party date ( hooray for you for thinking early BTW !!) and maybe one large crayon..or maybe even make them one in an animal shape,?? from some pan that you find..

You can even decorate cupcakes like animals..I have a book around the house somewhere?? (I am having a hysterectomy on Monday!) but I will find it for you before MAY!! it is super cute,,I have used it for my dd's primary class at church before..you can make them into lions and bears..and pandas...and such with just a few things..or even bugs..they are super cute..and I always love to do cup cakes for that size b/c they are easier to hold..and then I would do one small round cake for my Birthday Little one..(that is just what I always did..not that I am telling you what to do ....just giving you an idea,,,)

I love the idea of face painting..that is cute..you could make a little nature walk..and enlist some "creatures " that you have "staged out in the wild..to hand out the "critter bags" at the end..that leads to their cars"..that would be a cute idea to wind the party down..

If this is your first b-day party..I am a veteran birthday party mama..here is a bit of advice..don't plan a great deal of stuff for that age group..b/c the tend to get cranky and tired..keep it to a couple of fun..moving activities..and some munchies..and I would try to keep the party at a minimum of 2 hrs..and you still may have a few that can't last that long.. My dd's 1st party ended with her taking a nap..lol..and the adults eating and playing trivial pursuit..while the other kids..watched a movie LOL..so don't stress..You want it to be special..so take lots of pictures..but don't over tax yourself so much that you can't be there to enjoy what your son is doing..trust me..I have been there..

above all else..have fun yourself..!!, Let me know if you want the cup cake ideas And I will be sure to put that on my "to find list" lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)