Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you decorate for St. Patricks?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2010 at 9:15 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 796 Total Views

I love to decorate for all the holidays, but it seems finding nice looking St. Patricks decorations, that aren't glittery, childish or tacky is sort of an issue. Since it sometimes falls close to Easter I don't go all out decorating, but I like to have things here and there. For dinner on St. Patricks day I usually make an irish meal of some sort, it varies. I have a small wall hanging with an Irish blessing, and a small candy dish with Shamrocks on it. This year I am making felt garlands for different holidays, so i am making shamrocks and will do some embrodery and beading on them, then hanging them on a mirror.

Does anyone else decorate for St Patty's day or have some home made decor ideas?

by on Feb. 15, 2010 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
indybrown
by on Feb. 16, 2010 at 9:39 AM

I have to agree with you on this one...most of the decorations are a little outlandish for me.  I put my flag outside the house and then indoors, like you, I just have a few small things here and there but nothing big.  I've seen some nice things at Michael's this year that are a little more toned down that I think I might get.

hemimom03
by on Feb. 16, 2010 at 11:02 AM

My youngest son's birthday is St.Patrick's day...funny thing is we had his name picked out already and then for it to be on this day...yep his name is Patrick.

I too have just a few things. Jo Ann's craft store has fun things that aren't over the top. I've picked up nice ceramic things with the clover pattern that look really nice. I also like to change my silk plants/flowers through the holidays. It helps get me in the holiday mood when I see the different themes out. Living in Calif. I don't get the "season" change with the trees so much, but having decorations out helps me get through the year happy!

myatlantamommy
by on Feb. 16, 2010 at 12:00 PM

I have way simplified my life over the past four kids and 18 years.  I used to decorate a lot for every holiday, then just the holidays I really liked, and now, none at all really.  I do put out a fresh seasonal plant for each holiday though and candles in the scents of the season.  

For St. Patrick's Day I always have a fresh pot of shamrocks on the island - they are beautifully green with lovely white flowers.  I get mine at Whole Foods every year.  I also put out a few fresh grass scented candles.  For me, that is the perfect St. Patty's Day decoration.

On St. pat's day I make a completely green meal for the kids too - it is silly and a bit gross and they LOVE it.  

JennTed
by on Feb. 17, 2010 at 1:16 PM
Roberts had some non tacky ones.
armymecswife
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 10:19 AM

I was actually just thinking this morning about doing a felt garland with shamrocks. Where did you get the stencil for the shamrocks or are you doing them free hand? My husband is part Irish, so we try to decorate for St Patty's day every year and we have found very little to decorate with except for random pieces here and there. I figured I would just make decorations myself this year lol

suroundedbyboys
by on Mar. 1, 2010 at 7:19 AM

I actually found a shamrock outline on clipart and just enlarged it.

BrandtZ
by on Mar. 3, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Wooden hand painted shapes for the front door would be cute.

3are_a_blessing
by on Mar. 10, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Above you can see I garland I made over the weekend.  I also made a felt shamrock door decoration.  I feel a need to see more green with all this dreary weather!

There are instructions for making these decorations at my other site, Roots of Simplicity.

3are_a_blessing
by on Mar. 10, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Armyecswife,

Did you make the garland? I'd love to see how it looks!

Quoting armymecswife:

I was actually just thinking this morning about doing a felt garland with shamrocks. Where did you get the stencil for the shamrocks or are you doing them free hand? My husband is part Irish, so we try to decorate for St Patty's day every year and we have found very little to decorate with except for random pieces here and there. I figured I would just make decorations myself this year lol

suroundedbyboys
by on Mar. 14, 2010 at 10:37 PM

No, I haven't gotten it done yet! Life has gotten in the way as we are redoing our house room by room. Although we now have a sage green bathroom, so this year that is the new green decoration!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)