Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any suggestions for ways to do a town easter egg hunt?

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2010 at 9:09 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 528 Total Views

I do our towns Easter egg hunt does anyone have any suggestions for different ways to do it??  In the past we have filled plastic eggs with toys and candies and the kids have to find them.  This year with the amount of snow we still have we will have to do it inside of our large gym.  We have always added numbers to the eggs and then the kids get to come up in order of there number and pick out a larger toy/prize we have enough so everyone gets something.  That always is very hectic for me.  Any ideas on how to do it different??  Any ideas on how to spice it up if we have to have it in the gym so the eggs are not just on t he floor??  Any ideas of different items to put in the eggs that are cheep??  We normally get a turn out of about 35 kids.

MOM OF THREE

by on Mar. 9, 2010 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
branda32
by on Mar. 9, 2010 at 6:36 PM

I'm still thinking on this one.  Please don't think we are ignoring you.  I have never been to a community hunt that was inside before. hmmm.  We did have about 15 at our hunt last year (at home) and I bought some of the things from oriental trading. Little rubber ducks, finger puppets and the like. Bubbles, walmart has packs of mini bubbles. I think they are $2 for 12. And stickers. I just got the books of Easter stickers and the dollar store and cut them apart so there were several stickers in an egg.  All the green eggs got a special prize. And then at the end I had all of the kids empty their eggs into their baskets and they got another prize in exchange for the empties (so I can use them again) I'll look for some ideas and let you know if I find anything that might help. Good Luck!

MarciS
by on Mar. 10, 2010 at 11:05 AM

These are just off the top of my head and nothing special lol. Paint large cardboard boxes, such as those from stoves, washers, dryers and fridges, with scenery such as houses, buildings and mountains. Connect the boxes with additional cardboard to make "streets" and "alleys"  sort of like a maze. Have several entrance/exit openings so kids aren't all starting in the same area. You could add planter boxes and/ or totes of eggs in different places for them to get an egg from. Each child can then get an egg from each container. You can "hide" the eggs in the containers by adding shredded paper and/or easter grass. There are lots of stores that sell appliances that may have boxes you can get if you let them know. You could also set up tables in a maze and use $1 table cloths and/or donated fabric to drape over them. Place the containers with eggs under tables with an opening for kids to reach into to get an egg. Little ones might enjoy more than older kids, but better than just scattering on the floor. Check out Dollar Tree if you have one and Oriental trading has great stuff for in the eggs.

dixiecharmer
by on Mar. 11, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Try to get a high school club to help man the games.  Get some large sheets of card board from a furniture store.

Do different areas with games. 

A bean bag toss to win an egg.  (card board box painted with the shape of an egg and holes of different sizes cut out.  The smaller the hole the more candy they get.  Different color  tape marking where children have to stand.  older children standing farther back.

A fishing box.  use a pole (wooden dowel)  with a string attached and a safety pin on the end.  They toss the line over the side of a box and someone attaches a gift to the line. ( the box has one side cut out so it stands up and hides the person behind the box, have the art class in the school paint the boxes)

Pin the tail on the bunny.  Cut a bunny shape out of flannel material and  use a puff of cotton with Velcro attached.  No sharp edges.

Drop Clothes pins in a jar,  use a plastic mayo jar,  The child has to stand upright and drop the clothes pins in the jar.  They can have 5 clothes pins to drop.  if they miss all of them they get 1  piece of candy, and 1 more for each pin that goes in the jar.  (bit size candy bars.) cover the jar with Easter material (pictures glued on the jar)

Buy a roll of tickets and give each child 8 tickets, or enough for each game twice..  Then they give a ticket to a person at each game in order to play.

Each child will win at least one item from each area.  Some will win more some less.  Make tee shirts for the volunteers

blondenak
by on Mar. 12, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Bring in some potted plants/trees.  Lots of places (dr.s offices, other offices/stores) have the fake plants/trees. See if you can borrow some for the event. That would give you a few more places to hide eggs.  Our town egg hunt is run by the VA/POW people, and they usually have sandwich baggies of jelly beans thrown out with the eggs.  Those sometimes have a little coupon in them to a local business.  One year it was free burgers from Burger King.  Another year it was discounted tickets for an arcade place.  Not only does it make it fun for the kids to find another "prize" but it brings people to those businesses.

Good luck!

Jodie269
by on Mar. 13, 2010 at 7:23 PM

What kind of things do You have in the gym?  I probably could help You since after 65 years I still think of the Easter Egg Hunt that Bless My Mamas heart was such a good sport.  I Lived in a Low Income Housing Project & I invited about 100  kids to my House where I told them that Mama was going to have a easter egg Hunt. the Only thing I forgot at 7 years old was to tell Her about it so the good sport tat she was gathered some other Mothers & we went to an old vacant House that we called a Haunted House because it was started & Never finished.  I have to Laugh& She did too.  The inocence of a child.rolling on floorPlease write Me back.

jjcaj
by on Mar. 15, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Our hall is a two storie building, one room where we will gather then you go up a few steps and there is an open hard wood guy floor like a basketball floor.  there is also a stage where plays used to be held that now stores tables and chairs along the back wall of it.  That is a good place to hide for the older kids but I dont want all of them up there for fear that somone may fall off.  I have before shredded lots of paper and placed it on the gym floor and they had to shuffle thre it to find the eggs.  Our town is very small pretty much a one street town with a cafe, bank, elevator a small store and postoffice. 

Thanks for all of the suggestions!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)