Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I clean my silver necklace?

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2010 at 2:27 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 766 Total Views

HI,

My silver necklace just got retrieved from the drain pipe today. The pendant has black on it andsome brown spots.

How should I clean it to get rid of the spots without harming the silver?

Estate Earrings

by on Mar. 18, 2010 at 2:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Mrs.Bolin
by on Mar. 18, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Try either some baking soda/water or some vineger/water and brush with a toothebrush. It may help

DalesLgndLvsOn3
by on Mar. 18, 2010 at 10:40 AM

I actually use toothpaste to clean all my silver jewelry, I have VERY hard well water and it brings back a beautiful shine without damage every time!  Congrats on the drain recovery LOL

indybrown
by on Mar. 19, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I agree with the previous post...toothpaste cleans mine every time.  I use a toothbrush as well to do the scrubbing.

hemimom03
by on Mar. 19, 2010 at 11:19 AM

If you don't get any luck at home, then take it in to your jeweler and they should clean it for free!!

Jodie269
by on Mar. 19, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Get Wrights Silver Cream

LucindasMama
by on Mar. 20, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Make sure you use a *soft* toothbrush!  Toothpaste works for me too (I have no idea if my water is hard or soft).

KristinaO129
by on Mar. 20, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Just noticed that this was written on 2 different forums, I already added my reply on the general forum but thought I'd add it here as well because the recipe below has sure helped me!...

Just a note to add to the toothpaste tip, just be sure to use a white paste type toothpaste, not a gel. (The gel won't really hurt it, it just doesn't work as well, if it's the kind that has baking soda in it, all the better). Also, I have a great handy tip I learned years ago that really does work for removing tarnish & stubborn stains on silver & gold (and it's a lot cheaper than the bottled stuff), will work on jewelry, silverwear or anything... (I have an antique pair of silver goblets from my grandparents 25th wedding anniversary passed down to me that had been just sitting there tarnishing for probably well over 30 YEARS, they looked black -- I tried this trick & I was AMAZED they actually came out silver again!)

Silver & Gold Cleaner

Mix in large glass or plastic container: (Large enough that item to be cleaned will be covered with water mixture)

1 quart HOT water

1 Tablespoon salt

1 Tablespoon powdered water softener

Place sheet of aluminum foil in bottom of container.

Immerse silver/gold pieces & allow to sit a few minutes as tarnish disappears. The more tarnished item is, the longer it will need to soak. Turn as needed to clean all sides. Rinse in cold water once clean.

Note: DO NOT use on jewelry with stones or black antiquing.

Hope this helps! :o)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)