• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what would you serve or do for an Italian Theme Party?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:43 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 564 Total Views

What would you serve or do for an Italian Theme Party?

My parents have a wedding anniversary coming and she wants to celebrate her Italian heritage. I am game for that but not sure what to do.

She picked grapes on a border for the ivitation. They are cute. We are having the party in the backyard at my house. We have two chafe dishes to use and one roaster-pan. I thought about anti-pasta salad, 2 entrees, cake, and cookies. I just do not know what to do.

My mother wants me to get some fried chicken too! My husband wants me to make lasagna. I just do not know about just the food. I need ideas about decorating as well.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Robyn218
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:01 PM

I would use red and white checker tablecloths.  For food I would make Rigatoni and put in the roaster with a nice red sauce.

I LOVE....  Italian sausage in the oven and have done this for large parties. 

In a large pan, put a layer of Italian Sausage. Sprinkle with olive oil, a bunch of finely chopped garlic and some parsley.  Do another layer and cover with foil.  Bake 375 for about an hour depending on the how many sausage...   Check them and keep cooking if you need to.  They will be dark and sizzly.  YUMMY!

ALSO, I like Italian sausage, sliced onions,red, yellow, & green bell peppers all fried up together... YUMMY too!

French bread with olive spread or garlic butter, red wine, Tiramisu for dessert and you have an Italian feast!

An easy appetizer...  Order peperoni pizza uncut.  When you get it cut it into small  squares and serve You can even put a small slice of an Olive and a jalapeno on top. Or buy frozen pizza.

Good luck.

maggie13
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Quoting Robyn218:

I would use red and white checker tablecloths.  For food I would make Rigatoni and put in the roaster with a nice red sauce.

I LOVE....  Italian sausage in the oven and have done this for large parties. 

In a large pan, put a layer of Italian Sausage. Sprinkle with olive oil, a bunch of finely chopped garlic and some parsley.  Do another layer and cover with foil.  Bake 375 for about an hour depending on the how many sausage...   Check them and keep cooking if you need to.  They will be dark and sizzly.  YUMMY!

ALSO, I like Italian sausage, sliced onions,red, yellow, & green bell peppers all fried up together... YUMMY too!

French bread with olive spread or garlic butter, red wine, Tiramisu for dessert and you have an Italian feast!

An easy appetizer...  Order peperoni pizza uncut.  When you get it cut it into small  squares and serve You can even put a small slice of an Olive and a jalapeno on top. Or buy frozen pizza.

Good luck.

I love baked rigatoni. It is my favorite dish.

I love your ideas. I will put them on the list for my mom to check-out.  Mom makes sausage and potatoes with bell peppers and onions.

I have never made Tiramisu though.

SanDiegoMaxMom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:20 PM

The Silver Spoon Cook Book has thousands of authentic Italian Recipes.

We did an appetizer from this book that was amazing.....uncooked sausage mixed with a soft cheese, like brie baked on top of sliced french bread....so good!

I would talk to your parents and ask them about their memories of dating and early marriage....did they eat at a specific Italian place?  Did they return to Italy and what was special about their trip?

I would base your decorations and food on these conversations.

I usually do a pasta bake of some sort with a chicken Cesar salad and garlic bread for most gatherings.

minimom11107
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:21 PM

meatballs! my italian family always has meatballs. and linguine and clam sauce. so good.

myfroggyeclipse
by on May. 3, 2010 at 7:38 AM

bruchetta!!!!

JustGail
by on May. 3, 2010 at 8:33 AM

for food you can go with some basics........pasta dish, chicken parm, fresh mozarella and tomatoe salad.

they sell italian instrumental music cd's all over the place (Putyamano.....**spelling*** sells alot of wthnic based music).

red and white checkered tableclothes....mabe old wine bottles with drippy candles as centerpieces with some fake grapes surrounding them.

AuntyL
by on May. 3, 2010 at 8:40 AM

It looks like you have the food area covered. On to the 'to-do' part.

You could have a game of bocci-ball(sounds like bowchi)...also known as 'lawn bowling'. I bought some years ago at a store like kmart for my young sons to play. Look online for  plastic ones. I know that real ones aren't plastic, but my boys had lots of fun with them.

AuntyL

HELEN914
by on May. 3, 2010 at 9:38 AM

String White Lights all over your Yard at Night it will just set the tone off very nice The Red and White Table Covers are a Great Idea. Candles on the Tables. Good Luck Hope you have a Wonderful Party!!

maggie13
by on May. 3, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Quoting SanDiegoMaxMom:

The Silver Spoon Cook Book has thousands of authentic Italian Recipes.

We did an appetizer from this book that was amazing.....uncooked sausage mixed with a soft cheese, like brie baked on top of sliced french bread....so good!

I would talk to your parents and ask them about their memories of dating and early marriage....did they eat at a specific Italian place?  Did they return to Italy and what was special about their trip?

I would base your decorations and food on these conversations.

I usually do a pasta bake of some sort with a chicken Cesar salad and garlic bread for most gatherings.

thank you for the title of the cookbook. I will check on it.

I total forgot about garlic bread!

I like your ideas about doing something more personal. They had lost all their wedding photos in a fire after just two years of marriage so we have no pictures of them early in their relationship.

maggie13
by on May. 3, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Quoting HELEN914:

String White Lights all over your Yard at Night it will just set the tone off very nice The Red and White Table Covers are a Great Idea. Candles on the Tables. Good Luck Hope you have a Wonderful Party!!

Nice idea about the string of white lights. I can get to those from my Christmas lights.

Thank you for the well wishes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)