Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question on type of material to use

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2010 at 11:39 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 457 Total Views

I am purchasing a first edition hard backed copy of a book that is my husband's favorite book to give him from our kids. Our youngest is 4 months old and I was going to just put her handprint on the inside cover for him along with a note. I am not sure what to use to do the handprint. I don't want to use an inkpad because of it staining her hand (and let's face it, we all know kids that age constantly have their hands in their mouths). Any suggestion on something kid friendly to use???

by on Jun. 11, 2010 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
specialwingz
by on Jun. 11, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Pretty much anything you use will stain.  But, it doesn't mean it's toxic.  I suppose you could use some water color paints with her hand and then use a spray sealer over the handprint to preserve it.  If that's not dark enough for your preference, maybe acrylic paint.  I would make it rather thin to prevent pealing in the future.  I would also preserve it with a spray sealer.

Artladydp
by on Jun. 12, 2010 at 10:10 AM

I agree.  Acrylic paint would work really well.  It washes off with soap and water.  I don't think sealing it would be necessary if it's on paper.  But, it certainly wouldn't hurt and would help it to last forever.

KristinaO129
by on Jun. 12, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Just a quick thought especially since you mention it's a first edition... be sure to use an achival safe ink or paint if you want it to last through the years, other paints may yellow the pages over time, same with sealers (which like mentioned before is probably not necessary on book paper). You can find archival safe inks & even paints used to paint in scrapbooks in most craft & scrapbook stores. I'm sure he's gonna love his gift!

cassieopia
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:01 PM

You could also, if you had the time, make a bookmark with your children's hand prints to add to the gift.  You would have the children put their prints length wise on a sheet of paper, reduce the paper on a copier, write the names in the handprints with a little message below..something like..."Helping Hands for Dad" or "Something to keep you in place"...then have it laminated. :)

cmboyd_1999
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 9:47 AM

OH... I like this one! Especially since it's a first edition. Stamping in it would decrese the value of the book! Not that he would sell it but..... 

Quoting cassieopia:

You could also, if you had the time, make a bookmark with your children's hand prints to add to the gift.  You would have the children put their prints length wise on a sheet of paper, reduce the paper on a copier, write the names in the handprints with a little message below..something like..."Helping Hands for Dad" or "Something to keep you in place"...then have it laminated. :)

-Carla

Please visit my shop!
www.taryns_treasures.artfire.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN