Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"stenciled" jar candle teacher gift

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:50 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 1003 Total Views

I found this idea on a blog called Recaptured Charm- here's the link to the original post/idea and her tutorial for it: http://www.recapturedcharm.com/2010/05/mason-jar-tea-lights.html    I figured it would work well done with an apple shape for a teacher.  You take a glass jar (any kind, votive, Mason jars (I used Mason Jars like the original idea).  You can use any shape that you want- free hand it or use a Cricut for vinyl.  If you use paper, you can just use a glue stick to hold it on while you spray- or you could use spray glue- waiting until it is dry on the paper to stick it temporarily to the glass.  Then just use a can of spray "frosting"- found with the spray paints.  I used Valspar Frosting Spray- it was 4.98 in Lowe's - several dollars more in Michael's.  Follow the directions on the bottle and spray over your stencil stuck to the glass.  It dries pretty quickly and you can peel your stencil/mask off, and voila, there you have it.

YORKSHIRE ETTIQUETTE RULE #1 : Never ask an Englishman where he is from. If he is from Yorkshire he will tell you. If he is not, it is unfair to embarass him.
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
roudybunch
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Oh those are cute!!  What a neat idea and so inexpensive!!

gatermom
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:51 PM

What an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing, especially the pictures!

mamamiaohmy
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 4:08 PM

You're very welcome, I love sharing inexpensive ideas that are nice to boot :)  I've been getting the greatest ideas perusing craft blogs lately.

COTwinMom
by on Jun. 15, 2010 at 8:56 AM

This is great!  I'm filing this idea for Christmas gifts this year!

mamamiaohmy
by on Jun. 15, 2010 at 12:02 PM

My best friend and I are definitely thinking about using this idea for Christmas gifts of sorts this year, in fact she's wanting to actually get them done sooner than later, since they're so fast.  I'm thinking for childcare worker gifts at church they would be super :) I got some glass containers from the Dollar Store and I plan on making containers for our toothbrushes and q tips with them too.

soccerjunki
by on Jun. 16, 2010 at 11:18 AM

This is So cool!! I have to do this. Thanks for sharing !!!

soccerjunki
by on Jun. 16, 2010 at 11:20 AM

I just had an idea

You could buy cheap glass bake ware at the dollar store, and do this with someones initials, for a nice wedding/house warming gift....That would be nice...I may have to make some of those for myself too...

mamamiaohmy
by on Jun. 16, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Yep, that's where my thoughts are taking me too, with this concept.  I bought some glass containers at the Dollar Store to make holders for our toothbrushes, and I plan on doing this with them.  It would be fun to make little cookie plates for gifts for the holidays- doing designs on the underside of the plate.  The possibilities really are endless... have fun! :)

Quoting soccerjunki:

I just had an idea

You could buy cheap glass bake ware at the dollar store, and do this with someones initials, for a nice wedding/house warming gift....That would be nice...I may have to make some of those for myself too...

YORKSHIRE ETTIQUETTE RULE #1 : Never ask an Englishman where he is from. If he is from Yorkshire he will tell you. If he is not, it is unfair to embarass him.
Tedda
by on Jul. 3, 2010 at 12:13 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)