Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need ideas for a Construction Theme Party.....PLEASE HELP ME....

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2010 at 4:21 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 2463 Total Views

Hello ladies, I am having a construction theme party for my little man who will be turning 3yrs old...Our funds are pretty tight right now so I am starting the planning process a little early.  His party is at the end of July...I have made his invites on my computer and bought his goodie bags, my lil sis is a cake decorator so I don't have to worry about that she has it under control...  But here's my issue...I don't know what I should put in the good bags both boys and girls are coming.  I don't know if I should have games?  I really am at a loss...My son loves construction trucks and he just wants his party to be construction trucks...Please help if you can....Thanks a big bunch...

Miss Brandie
by on Jun. 16, 2010 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof3inTN
by on Jun. 16, 2010 at 4:34 PM

My son had a construction themed party 2 years ago (his 7th b-day). And we were on a very tight budget at the time. How old are most of the kids coming? Do you have an outside area where you can do things? How many kids are coming? How long is the party? That would give me a better idea of activities you all can do with the kids.

One activity that can be done inside (and even little kids love): make little signs the kids can hang on their door (dollar store! Get foam sheets and foam stickers - you may be able to find some in truck type shapes too - foam letter stickers, and some yarn or ribbon. Punch 2 holes in the top of the foam sheets and make a loop of yarn or ribbon to hang the sign. Then let the kids add the stickers).

Goodie bags - I went to the dollar store and found packages of construction trucks, 3 in a pack for $1 each. Girls and boys all seem to have a fascination with big trucks. The girls at my son's party liked the construction trucks too. Ummm.... we put in little packages of truck shaped fruit snacks, found pencils that had trucks on them, erasers in the shape of trucks, little construction workers (similar to the "bucket o' soldiers" like in toy story, got those at the dollar store too), and then also added some things that didn't fit the "theme" but are fun (whistles, clappers, etc from the dollar store goody bag section).

Let me think a little more to see what else I can come up with.

mommyoftwo395
by on Jun. 16, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Quoting momof3inTN:

My son had a construction themed party 2 years ago (his 7th b-day). And we were on a very tight budget at the time. How old are most of the kids coming? Do you have an outside area where you can do things? How many kids are coming? How long is the party? That would give me a better idea of activities you all can do with the kids.

One activity that can be done inside (and even little kids love): make little signs the kids can hang on their door (dollar store! Get foam sheets and foam stickers - you may be able to find some in truck type shapes too - foam letter stickers, and some yarn or ribbon. Punch 2 holes in the top of the foam sheets and make a loop of yarn or ribbon to hang the sign. Then let the kids add the stickers).

Goodie bags - I went to the dollar store and found packages of construction trucks, 3 in a pack for $1 each. Girls and boys all seem to have a fascination with big trucks. The girls at my son's party liked the construction trucks too. Ummm.... we put in little packages of truck shaped fruit snacks, found pencils that had trucks on them, erasers in the shape of trucks, little construction workers (similar to the "bucket o' soldiers" like in toy story, got those at the dollar store too), and then also added some things that didn't fit the "theme" but are fun (whistles, clappers, etc from the dollar store goody bag section).

Let me think a little more to see what else I can come up with.

wow thanks for all the ideas...I have a large backyard for the kids to play in.  So the party will be both inside and outside...I think about 13 kids from the ages of 2 all the way up to 9 yrs old. The party will be a couple of hours I'm sure...With it being at our house it shouldn't be a problem to have it run a little later...Thanks again for all the wonderful ideas...If you have more please let me know....Thanks for all the help

Miss Brandie
momof3inTN
by on Jun. 16, 2010 at 6:48 PM

That's quite an age spread! But I'm not one to talk, our last b-day party was for my 10 year old and we had kids from 3-10. LOL

What we did with my son was we "built" a house outside (after covering the yard with drop clothes, LOL) out of cardboard boxes (we got some from the local bakery in the grocery store, they are nice and sturdy). Boxes, duct tape (to put it together), some construction hats (oriental trading company - they cost about $20 including the shipping - we got the REALLY cheap ones, LOL), a gallon of plain old white paint and some bottles of colored paint (walmart - about .75 each bottle) and some cheap foam brushes from the dollar tree. My husband and I "built" the house beforehand (even cut out some doors and windows) and had the kids have a ball painting. We warned the parents and most brought their kids in swim suits (and brought a change of clothes) and we just hosed them down afterwards. LOL Gotta love summertime!

We raced the tonka trucks that my son already had and handed out little trophies to the winners (also the dollar tree, but I know walmart has little "gold" medals on red, white and blue ribbon that would work).

We had a digging game, where the kids used the scoop loader to move sand around in the sandbox. We gave them a 1 minute time limit to see how much sand they could move (usuing only the truck) into a bowl. We measured the sand in the bowl before moving on to the next 2 kids. The winner got a trophy.

Decorating ideas:

Construction tape! Lowe's has some that is relatively inexpensive. We used this instead of streamers. And we used it to tape off lanes for the race and around the "construction site."

This is the party that showed us we over-prepared for a 2 hour party. LOL We have since knocked them down to 1 craft, 2 games, opening presents and cake time. Otherwise we run over our time limit. Ha ha ha But despite being over-prepared, it was A LOT of fun!

proadoption
by on Jun. 16, 2010 at 11:19 PM
Put the tool in the tool box??? Play it like you would play pin the tale on the donkey! Print off pics from computer of different tools!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CreativeMummy
by on Jun. 17, 2010 at 7:47 AM

I know you said you have a cake decorator in your family but to give her an idea, my SIL did a construction theme birthday party for my nephew's 4th bday and she made chocolate cupcakes and put them in one of those super size tonka trucks then she did the icing and chocolate cookie crumbles.  It was precious and cheap to make.

I have started adding a sucker, a packet of fruit chews and some sunglasses in the little bags from the $1 store. 

Games and crafts are great but it just didn't work for my 3 year olds birthday this year.  We had an Easter theme and had the Easter bunny come for a visit and then had an egg hunt.  The cake and opening presents was the rest of the time.

Good luck!  Take pics so we can see how it comes together.

mommyoftwo395
by on Jun. 17, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Quoting proadoption:

Put the tool in the tool box??? Play it like you would play pin the tale on the donkey! Print off pics from computer of different tools!

Thanks...I like this idea alot....

Miss Brandie
mommyoftwo395
by on Jun. 17, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Quoting CreativeMummy:

I know you said you have a cake decorator in your family but to give her an idea, my SIL did a construction theme birthday party for my nephew's 4th bday and she made chocolate cupcakes and put them in one of those super size tonka trucks then she did the icing and chocolate cookie crumbles.  It was precious and cheap to make.

I have started adding a sucker, a packet of fruit chews and some sunglasses in the little bags from the $1 store. 

Games and crafts are great but it just didn't work for my 3 year olds birthday this year.  We had an Easter theme and had the Easter bunny come for a visit and then had an egg hunt.  The cake and opening presents was the rest of the time.

Good luck!  Take pics so we can see how it comes together.

Thanks for all the ideas...I like the cupcake idea alot.  But my sister really wants to decorate his cake...Best part is she's paying for all the stuff she needs...I do think we will use the cookie crumble idea for dirt...I will post pic's after his party....Thanks for all the ideas...

Miss Brandie
Alieda
by on Jun. 19, 2010 at 12:35 PM

I sat here trying to think about my dad who was in home building and what he need and how to take that in to a kids party. You can found print outs for tools on the net and not only use them for the game but also part of your decorations. I think there is also a place on the net to found out how to make the construction hard hats using brown bags.  I love the road sign idea but how about if they build a little house with construction paper and popsicle sticks. They also could each had a little lunch box or get theirs for them mom ahead of time and have them feast on ham or bolaga sandwiches, applesauce in the little contanders, chips and drink from a Thermos if that was possible. Take a old white tablecloth and pin or glue the tools, trucks, bricks , hard hats and the like on it.  For the goodies bags I would put in a small water bottle, a truck, a red or black ponytail thing for the girls because those are the colors assocated with road signs. a constitution man, some Candy or some oreo cookies because of the cake.

mommyoftwo395
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Quoting Alieda:

I sat here trying to think about my dad who was in home building and what he need and how to take that in to a kids party. You can found print outs for tools on the net and not only use them for the game but also part of your decorations. I think there is also a place on the net to found out how to make the construction hard hats using brown bags.  I love the road sign idea but how about if they build a little house with construction paper and popsicle sticks. They also could each had a little lunch box or get theirs for them mom ahead of time and have them feast on ham or bolaga sandwiches, applesauce in the little contanders, chips and drink from a Thermos if that was possible. Take a old white tablecloth and pin or glue the tools, trucks, bricks , hard hats and the like on it.  For the goodies bags I would put in a small water bottle, a truck, a red or black ponytail thing for the girls because those are the colors assocated with road signs. a constitution man, some Candy or some oreo cookies because of the cake.

Thank you for the ideas...

Miss Brandie
SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:41 AM

I made these out of diaper boxes for my son's race car birthday.  I cut the bottoms out so they just stepped through  We had a "race" across the yard.  You could easily do construction vehicles.

I don't think you need a lot of games for this age. 

I suggest 1 activity...maybe cookie decorating using cookies shaped like construction vehicles. 

If you don't want to do a goodie bag, you can have the kids make a place-mat using large construction paper, gluing pictures or silhouettes of vehicles on the paper.  Just cover with clear contact paper and you have their favor to take home.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY and have a great party!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)