Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spider Costume?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2010 at 6:46 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 524 Total Views

Ok so for trick or treating my son wants to be a spider.. (His sisters are a butterfly and ladybug) and I can't find a costume in the stores so any ideas how to make a spider costume? I was thinking about black trash bags or something but I'm at a creative road block with this one..

trick or treat

by on Oct. 12, 2010 at 6:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
specialwingz
by on Oct. 12, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Start out with a black sweat suit and 2 pairs of black tights or thick nylons. Cut the legs off the tights and stuff each leg with Fiberfil. Stuff each leg until it is as long as the sleeves of the sweatshirt. If you can sew, you can make the spider legs using black material instead of black tights.

Attach two legs on each side of the sweatshirt, spaced evenly below the sweatshirt arm. You can simply pin them in place using safety pins or you can sew them on.

Once the 'spider legs' are attached to the sweatshirt, use black thread or fishing line to tie the end of each arm together. Tie one end of the fishing line or black thread around the end of the bottom spider leg; tie the other end of the fishing line to the next leg, leaving about enough slack between the two legs so they hang freely. Finally, attach the second leg to the wrist of the person wearing the sweatshirt in the same fashion. the end effect will be that the two fake 'spider legs' will look like they are moving on their own when the person moves his or her hand.

For finishing touches you can wear a black hat, paint your face black, and/or wear black mittens or gloves!

Chris0110
by on Oct. 12, 2010 at 6:58 PM

What the above mom said.  Will work great.  I actually did this for a theatrical production once.  Fill out the sweat shirt a little too so it looks like the spider's body

DarkFaery131
by on Oct. 12, 2010 at 7:01 PM

yep, what she said!

specialwingz
by on Oct. 12, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Quoting Chris0110:

What the above mom said.  Will work great.  I actually did this for a theatrical production once.  Fill out the sweat shirt a little too so it looks like the spider's body

Thanks, Chris.  I meant to add that.  LOL.

mommy-of2cuties
by on Oct. 12, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Thanks Girls! =)

VTMommaX3
by on Oct. 13, 2010 at 5:42 PM
Yup. Did that and added a headband w springy eyes. Also used the cobweb material you can get at the store to web between all the legs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kenziewenzie
by on Oct. 14, 2010 at 12:19 AM

That sounds awesome!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)