Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Making Holiday Baskets For Those I Love!!

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 2:48 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 645 Total Views
2 moms liked this

Here's what I'm making (suggestions as to what to add, or how to make it pretty, etc are more then welcome!!):

Movie Gift Basket
Place the following in a popcorn tub or dollar store colorful bowl :
Microwave popcorn
A couple boxes of movie theater candy or rock candy
A bottle of their favorite soft drink
A classic DVD- $5 box

Handmade Fleece Blanket (Not a basket, just something I'm making for the little one's in my life, not my LO)

Directions:
Get 2 different patterns of fleece the same size (small enough for baby).
Cut slits about 2 inches in and 1 inch apart from one another all the way around the edges and then knot each slit to the other piece. It creates a seam with no sewing and they're cute and warm.

Winter Warmth Gift Basket
Coco mix (Look up recipe for homemade)
Snow themed mug
Paperback book
Decorative bookmark
Fuzzy socks

Mom's Relaxation Basket

Line a pretty basket with pastel tissue paper and fill with:
Gourmet Coffee Mix/Coco mix
Coffee Mug
Book & bookmark
Chocolates
Scented candle
Chocolate Milk Bath BonBons
    Ingredients:
    8 Tablespoons powdered milk
    1 Tablespoon cocoa butter
    2 Tablespoons powdered cocoa
    Essential oil

Directions:
    Melt cocoa butter, add sifted powdered milk & cocoa. Pack into candy molds of 1 Tablespoon size or bigger & flash freeze for 10 minutes.
    To use: 2 per bath (about 2 T.)
    Crumble under warm running water as the tub fills.

Homemade Bakes Basket
reeses cup
    2 cups milk chocolate chips
    2 tablespoons shortening
    30 mini paper candy cups
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
    1 cup confectioners' sugar
    2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
Instructions
1. In small saucepan combine chocolate chips and shortening. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth -- about 3 to 5 minutes.
2. With small brush, coat inside of paper cup evenly with about 1 teaspoon melted chocolate to about 1/8-inch thickness, bringing coating almost to top of cup, but not over edge. Repeat until 30 cups are coated; refrigerate cups.
3. In medium saucepan combine butter and peanut butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until melted -- about 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in confectioners' sugar and graham cracker crumbs. Press about 1/2 tablespoon filling into each chocolate cup.
4. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon melted chocolate on top of filling; spread to cover. Freeze until firm -- about 2 hours. Carefully peel off paper cups. Store refrigerated.

choc chip cookies
    2 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
    1 cup(s) (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
    1/2 cup(s) granulated sugar
    1 cup(s) packed light-brown sugar
    1 teaspoon(s) salt
    2 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
    2 large eggs
    2 cup(s) (about 12 ounces) semisweet and/or milk chocolate chips
Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter with both sugars; beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; add the salt, vanilla, and eggs. Beat until well mixed, about 1 minute. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
    Drop heaping tablespoon-size balls of dough about 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
    Bake until cookies are golden around the edges, but still soft in the center, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool on baking sheet 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.

eggnog
    5 egg yolks
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 cup heavy cream
    2 cups whole milk
    1 1/4 cups good quality bourbon or whiskey
    1/4 cup spiced rum
    Pinch of salt
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp nutmeg plus more for garnish
1. Whisk yolks with sugar until creamy and sugar begins to dissolve.
2. Add cream, milk, bourbon and rum and stir to combine.
3. Stir in nutmeg and vanilla and chill well.
4. Serve chilled on the rocks with a sprinkle of nutmeg if desired.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I love your ideas!

I'll take a Mom's Relaxation Basket, please.

LOL

MrsCrissyHall
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 5:14 PM

I wish someone would make one for me, too! Lol.

BooksnBoys
by on Oct. 29, 2011 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Great ideas!

Taste of Home Magazine has a bunch of cocoa mix recipes on their site: http://www.tasteofhome.com/SiteSearch/FacetSearchResults.aspx?search=cocoa%20mix&st=2&vw=1&page=1&rs=10&sort=0&searchSource=hdrbox-Recipes

If you wanted the Winter Warmth basket to be more personal, you could also include cookies or baked goods.  Personally, I LOVE the sock idea :)

I have given the movie gift basket as a wedding gift :)  To make it prettier you can fill the bottom with tissue paper or shredded colored paper (I have also used extra Easter grass if I bought it on clearance after Easter).

If you wanted a more personal look to the movie baskets you can also make your own "gourmet" popcorn and add it in a tin or cellophane bag.

For the Mom relaxation basket, you could put in a bath scrubbie or lotion if you needed to make a couple baskets that look different (for example, if you had two women in one family).  I LOVE the sound of the chocolate bon bon bath bombs.  I have also easily made fizzy bath powder (which oddly enough, my kids loved best).  You just mix the ingredients and pour it into bags.  Use 1/2 cup per bath:

1 cup baking soda

1/2 cup corn starch

1/4 cup epsom salt

1/2 cup citric acid

1 1/2 teaspoon fragrance oil or essential oil

colorant if you wish

My kids like the fact this fizzes and turns the bath a light color.  I like that it is REALLY good for your skin.  You could make it match to the chocolate theme you had going by adding mint essential/fragrance oil and leaving it white so they could have a mint chocolate bath if they wanted.  Or, for a smaller gift, just put the mint bath mix and a couple chocolate bon bons together as a gift!

Really, excellent ideas that ANYONE would love to get.  You are very creative!  I wish you lived near me so we could get together & make a bunch of baskets - that would be so fun!

micheledo
by on Oct. 29, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Love your ideas!! And I love the fleece blankets.  They are so warm and our kids sleep with theirs all the time!

lisairv
by on Oct. 29, 2011 at 10:17 AM
Great ideas! I did a few of these last year for Christmas ....

swdesigns
by on Oct. 29, 2011 at 11:09 AM

These sound great!  

MrsCrissyHall
by on Nov. 1, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Thanks =)

Mommybrightside
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 1:12 PM

I made a movie basket a few years back and included popcorn flavor toppings.  You can buy white cheddar, ranch, etc.  It's at the grocery store and they're pretty inexpensive.

ArmyPrincess81
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Great Ideas

I think I will make a winter box for my SIL :)

pacncbcsmommy
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 12:30 AM

love these ideas especially the fleece blanket my son received one when he was in icu through project linus and i was wanting to make some for the charity but didnt know how (im not very crafty would like to be but im not)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)