Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question............

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 229 Total Views
if I am using those 4 inch tiles to make coasters, do I have to rough them up a little if they are shiny?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
COTwinMom
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 9:27 AM

I don't think so.  We've done that before, designing them with porcelain markers and it worked fine. Depending on what you use to design them--I just sealed mine with a sealing spray (from Krylon).  I've seen some DIY coaster projects where people bake them to seal what they've designed on them.

nanbon44
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:00 AM

I have white subway tiles floor to ceiling in my bathroom and decided to paint them... they are glossy... I got the enamel paints and painted a border on them.  The first time I used the enamals and a sealer on the tiles. After drying I could wash as normal and the paint was fine.  I decided to change the look and I took a Mr Clean eraser sponge to the tiles and after some work they were clean again. I then stenciled a design on the middle row of tiles with enamals, no sealer this time as the last time it yellowed.  Tiles have been painted for 5 yrs now and are perfect. I also painted the white backsplash before I installed those tiles and followed the instructions to bake the painted tile in the oven.  So check the paint and follow the instructions, and I have never dulled, sanded or changed the tiles before painting them...  

tatsyanne
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Thanks ladies, I was thinking about using vinyl decals and sealing with a sealing spray, I am hoping it works, it is a christmas present for my brother.

Caydens_momma
by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 11:44 AM

You can use modge podge to seal them. I used it last year over pictures. They turned out super cute. And it held up really well until we left a ice cold water cup sitting on it over night. Then it left a cloudy ring on it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)