Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to buy a sewing machine. Suggestions?

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 4:51 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 254 Total Views

I want to buy myself a sewing machine and know nothing about them. Please help! What kind of features do I want to have? What features are nice but not necessary? What accessories, if any should I get? What brands are good ones? Is buying used a good idea?

by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Angltrls
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 9:57 PM

I got my first sewing machine when I was 18 and it was already 18 years old it's self. It was bought from a Singer sewing machine store. I got free lessons on how to use it too. If you're going to buy a used machine you should look into buying from a sewing machine store, they refurbish them and you can try before you buy. My machine is still running like new, I have it cleaned and tuned up once a year or so, depending on how much I use it. What features you should look for depends on what you want to do with it, most all of them have different stitches, button hole makers ... all pretty basic for making clothes or diy home decorating. A sewing machine store also usually let you trade in your machine so keep that in mind also. My machine is a Singer, but I've heard good things about Brothers, Huskivarna (not sure about that spelling lol) Good luck to you. If you have a JoAnns near you they have sewing classes and can probably answer alot more of your questions if you go in and talk to them. Good luck to you.

Shavahn
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 9:23 AM

I would say if you're just starting out to get a Singer. They are very user friendly. I got the basic model when I first started out and have since purchased a more advanced model.

tazmidgiefairy
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 10:24 AM

i am no help my husband is the one with the sewing machine and it a brother and is does tons of stuff and he likes it 

huntin_mama
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 4:50 PM

What model is it?

Quoting tazmidgiefairy:

i am no help my husband is the one with the sewing machine and it a brother and is does tons of stuff and he likes it 

tazmidgiefairy
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 9:52 PM

i am not sure i will look tomorrow and let you know 

Quoting huntin_mama:

What model is it?

Quoting tazmidgiefairy:

nanbon44
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Go to a couple of sewing machine stores in your area and take a test drive on different machines, see which one you like the best.  Quilt shops, sewing machine stores, name stores *sears, wal mart etc) and even some craft stores like JoAnns all carry machines and have demo units set up...    I started out years ago on a Singer and it was the only type I bought for years... then I got my embroidery/sewing machine and it was a Janome    I have Singer, Brother and Janome machines here and it is the Janome that I use the most..   Main features I like, decorative stitches, auto thread cutting, needle threader, top load bobbins, lots of feet included and what I really like the most is the start stop button on the machine head... I don't have to use a foot pedal  to control the speed I just use the speed slide...      I have bought some used machines in the past and most times there isn't a problem with them other then they are out dated machines... some have been used little... Most times yard sales or flea markets have really cheap machines...  I also like machines that are made of metal rather then plastic that wears out .    hope this helps.

ArmyPrincess81
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Brother Brand is a good reliable one

huntin_mama
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Thank you! I only have one local place that sells them. She is a Janome dealer. I plan to go try some out and buy one from her.

Quoting nanbon44:

Go to a couple of sewing machine stores in your area and take a test drive on different machines, see which one you like the best.  Quilt shops, sewing machine stores, name stores *sears, wal mart etc) and even some craft stores like JoAnns all carry machines and have demo units set up...    I started out years ago on a Singer and it was the only type I bought for years... then I got my embroidery/sewing machine and it was a Janome    I have Singer, Brother and Janome machines here and it is the Janome that I use the most..   Main features I like, decorative stitches, auto thread cutting, needle threader, top load bobbins, lots of feet included and what I really like the most is the start stop button on the machine head... I don't have to use a foot pedal  to control the speed I just use the speed slide...      I have bought some used machines in the past and most times there isn't a problem with them other then they are out dated machines... some have been used little... Most times yard sales or flea markets have really cheap machines...  I also like machines that are made of metal rather then plastic that wears out .    hope this helps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)