Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homemade Bath salts

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2007 at 9:17 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 1654 Total Views
  I did this recipe at a Ladies group a couple of months ago since then my daughter & her friends make it to give to thier friends for a gift.

Ingredients:
   Epsom Salts
   Fragrance oil of your choice ( I use Vanilla)
   Food coloring optional since it can color the surface of your tub
Items needed:
   Ziplock baggie

Directions:
   Pour the amount of epsom salts that you desire into the ziplock bag, making sure you don't over fill the bag so that your can add fragrance & color then the final steps is to close the ziplock bag & shake till the oil & color is mixed evenly throughout the salts.  Store in a ziplock bag or other air tight container

by on Nov. 24, 2007 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoldenDawne
by on Nov. 25, 2007 at 6:29 AM
If you add liquid to epsom salts doesn't clump up the salts? I want tomake some of these for gifts. Thank you
Holycropmom
by on Nov. 25, 2007 at 4:34 PM
Not at all, when you shake them in the ziplock bag you just add enough so that it will coat it good
janielinds
by on Nov. 28, 2007 at 11:20 PM
There were SO many amazing, creative gifts that I've seen in this group jsut in the past few days, but it's the Bath Salts that really have caught my attention and is going to be my "first try" at anything creative! Tonight I went and got all the supplies, (i think). I got the Epsome salt, I found these amazing different style and shape glass containers so that I can put the finished project in them. I got 4 different colors of food coloring and I also got some fragrances, (Lavender, Apple and Camomile). So here are a few of my own questions. One Mom asked if the salf would clump when color was put in. She was told no. But how do you know just 'how much' is the right amount??? Also, do you have to decide whether to put the color or the fragrance first? Or does it not matter? And finally, we all know that the more food coloring you use, the darker the color comes out. Is there a way to 'lighten' the color so that it isn't so dark? Please, please, if anyone sees this, could you let me know ASAP. I'm either going to start tonight or early tomorrow morning. Thanks so much Janine

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent!!
katandjohnmommy
by on Nov. 29, 2007 at 2:50 PM

Quoting janielinds:

There were SO many amazing, creative gifts that I've seen in this group jsut in the past few days, but it's the Bath Salts that really have caught my attention and is going to be my "first try" at anything creative! Tonight I went and got all the supplies, (i think). I got the Epsome salt, I found these amazing different style and shape glass containers so that I can put the finished project in them. I got 4 different colors of food coloring and I also got some fragrances, (Lavender, Apple and Camomile). So here are a few of my own questions. One Mom asked if the salf would clump when color was put in. She was told no. But how do you know just 'how much' is the right amount??? Also, do you have to decide whether to put the color or the fragrance first? Or does it not matter? And finally, we all know that the more food coloring you use, the darker the color comes out. Is there a way to 'lighten' the color so that it isn't so dark? Please, please, if anyone sees this, could you let me know ASAP. I'm either going to start tonight or early tomorrow morning. Thanks so much Janine

I made the bath salts and I added just one or two drops of each food coloring then mixed it. If it wasn't what I wanted I added anthoeer drop until I got the right color I wanted. When it got to dark I just added more espon salt to obsorb the color to lighten it.

I hope this helps

I make money on cashcrate:::   http://cashcrate.com/289263

SMLemos
by on Nov. 29, 2007 at 2:56 PM
Just to add what is really cute is if you have or can find any baby food jars, you can put the salts in there and put a ribbon around the lid and even made a personalized label to put on the jar.  That way you could make like a little basket with two or three different scents and colors.

Lilypie2nd Birthday TickerLilypieExpecting a baby Ticker
msunderstood
by on Nov. 30, 2007 at 3:35 AM
I usually put my bath salts in those little clear cloth draw string bags you find in the wedding supply area of craft stores or Walmart.  Then they can just throw the entire thing in like a tea bag--no measuring.  And the bags look soooo cute!!!  Makes a bath basket look fancier.
Holycropmom
by on Nov. 30, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Quoting katandjohnmommy:

Quoting janielinds:

I made the bath salts and I added just one or two drops of each food coloring then mixed it. If it wasn't what I wanted I added anthoeer drop until I got the right color I wanted. When it got to dark I just added more espon salt to obsorb the color to lighten it.

I hope this helps

I make money on cashcrate:::   http://cashcrate.com/289263

Thats exactly what I was going to post. Thanks so much on the post, sorry I didn't get back to you promptly, my computer has been acting up lately. Kelly

Holycropmom
by on Nov. 30, 2007 at 1:08 PM

Quoting msunderstood:

I usually put my bath salts in those little clear cloth draw string bags you find in the wedding supply area of craft stores or Walmart.  Then they can just throw the entire thing in like a tea bag--no measuring.  And the bags look soooo cute!!!  Makes a bath basket look fancier.
  Great idea, I'm in the process of making awhole lot of salts up this week and I happen to have a couple of pkg's of those lil bags that I picked up on clearance.  Thanks for the idea

angelmama277
by on Dec. 24, 2007 at 1:54 PM
can you put the bathsalts directly into the container from the bag or do they have to dry? thanks

preview image 

FAITH, TRUST AND BABY DUST!!!!!

ASK ME HOW TO WORK FROM HOME TODAY!!!

MAKE MONEY FOR FREE WITH ME ON CASHCRATE!   http://cashcrate.com/288406

Lorraine182
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Quoting angelmama277:

can you put the bathsalts directly into the container from the bag or do they have to dry? thanks

You don't have to let them dry,at least I didn't and they turned out great.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)