Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any Ideas of craft projects with pinecones?

Posted by   + Show Post
We have a lot of large pinecones around my house and was looking for ideas of projects to do with the kids and maybe a few for me.  I have looked on the internet and found a few cheesy ones but none that I really liked.  Any ideas?
by on Nov. 28, 2007 at 1:44 PM
Replies (11-20):
mrscherry09
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Very simple and easy for the kids! In girl scouts we used to get large pine cones and tie some yarn to it (super glue will hold for extra support) Next we spread peanut butter all over them. Then you roll your pine cone in bird seed and hang them in your trees! Homemade bird feeder!

You can also get elmers glue, paint brushes, glitter and little tiny colored cotton balls. "Paint" the glue on and sprinkle with glittle. Takes a few mins to dry. Then glue the cotton balls on the tips to look like ornaments. Vualah! Christmas tree! You can tweek it and use orange and black balls with little bat confetti to make spooky halloween trees too!

falling_leaves

GingerNeeSmith
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 11:59 AM

That is so simple and such a great idea! I love to feed all the birds and now I don't have to hear my hubby say"not another bird feeder!"

I just joined this group and already I love it and have got great project ideas to do with my kids. Thanks ladies.

Quoting J-M:

Make them into bird feeders.

attach looped twine to the top of the pine cone
spread with peanut butter
roll in birdseed
hang outside and enjoy the birds

~~ J-M

"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation increased, and not impaired in value." - Theodore Roosevelt

hypermamaz
by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 12:15 PM

stick feathers in one end, glue on googly eyes and a beak. make it into a turkey.

tie a pipecleaner or ribbon around one end and glue sparkly beads and stuff in to make ornaments.

make a birdfeeder out of them.

I also found a neat idea in a book last week to dip them in candle wax with scent to use as fire starters. going to do that with a bunch of mine. the added scents will go into the room (if you have a fireplace) and make it smell nice

QTkiwi
by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 3:55 PM

A few years a go I made some ornaments, you need a pinecone, glitter, ribbon, and a hot glue gun and spray glue for the glitter.  you can see how they were made by looking at the pics. do the glitter on the pinecone with the spray glue then hot glue the ribbon on the top, making a loop with some so you can hang them on your tree. hope this helps

-QTkiwi....

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
 http://www.yarncat.com/Dana_Mods.html

http://www.cafepress.com/qtkiwi_01

Aldea
by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 4:02 PM

We also have many pinecones around our home.  I dab some clear glue on them and sprinkle cinnamon, and let them dry.    Tie a red ribbon and voila you have a nice scented ornament or put them in a basket to give.

Bizmom
by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 11:54 PM

ello, I do alot of crafts and my daughter and her friend just made a few pine cone tree's really beautiful, they covered the pinecones with glue, aleene's tacky glue, or you could use sobo glue, then they drizzled glitter onto the pinecone and they turned out so beautiful, my daughter did a gold one with a gold pom pom on top for the star, my daughter's friedn used a pretty pink and it also turned out really nice. we used clear glaze to keep the glitter inplace and they are now on my T.V. it's fast and easy, and we even returned the glitter back to the jar and didn't waste any left over. but there are so many things you can do with pine cones, make a wreath, glue other items onto it and add a bow, just glue a bow to it and hang or add buttons(small), you could use different colored pom poms, even the glitter ones and glue them on, either way you do it, they are very beautiul to put on a tree or sit in a beautiful bow on your coffee table or kitchen table. give as gifts also. they are simple and fun.

Bizmom

wave

Jacylrin
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:15 PM

You can use some thin floral wire to wrap around the base (or between the first and second rounds of scales) then wire them to a wreath form. Or hot glue them to a wreath form. Add a bow.

I also took and hot glued the bases on a cone-shaped foam base one year and made a tree out of cones. It went over very well.

X-Acto-Girl
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:21 PM

I love nature crafts, especially for the fall and winter holidays. I use pine cones quite often  to decorate my home and also to make little bird feeder ornaments

Place a basket of dry, clean pine cones near the woodstove or fireplace. If you add a bit of potpourri or cotton balls with a bit of scent the warmth from the fire makes the air smell delicious.

Wire on a twist tie to small cones, then smear peanut butter onto the "leaves" and sprinkle with bird seed. Hang the pine cones outdoors on a tree (evergreen if you have one) or a leafless branch and enjoy the birds eating their holiday decoration snacks form their own Christmas tree.

Dip pine cones into melted wax, cool and then use as fire starters for your fireplace.

Holycropmom
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Make pinecone turkey's out of them by taking one pinecone for the body then use a brown pom pom to make the head, add eyes, 2 feet & etc, take another pinecone pull apart and glue each piece individually onto the back of the body forming his fan of tail feathers.  Then you could use them for a center piece or as a hanging decor or my kids have made them to make a seating place card holder. 

TXMompreneur
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Quoting beachbride:

I know my mom has bought scented pinecones several years to put in a basket by the fireplace (so when it gets warm they make the house smell). I dont know how you get them scented...I assume a few drops of oil would work or maybe you could soak them in something. But they smell really nice and look pretty in a basket too.

I LOVE the pine cone fire starters!!  Here are a couple of sites where I found instructions.  (they probably do a better job of explaining it than I would!  LOL)

http://www.ehow.com/way_5412817_directions-make-pinecone-fire-starters.html

http://pineconelady.com/crafts.html

Dawn

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN