Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Valentine's Day

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2008 at 2:45 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 835 Total Views
Anyone planning any fun crafts for Valentines day?
by on Jan. 5, 2008 at 2:45 PM
Edited by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
msunderstood
by on Jan. 5, 2008 at 5:45 PM
I don't know if this would be considered a craft exactly, but it is a tradition at our home.  One that I didn't do one year,  thinking that my children who were in their teens  would  be  tired of it and probably embarrassed by it.  WRONG!!!!  Sooooo...it is back to the Valentine Meatloaf.  I make a heart shaped meatloaf, using a cake pan.  I turn it out on a plate and "ice" it with mashed potatoes.  Then I write "I LOVE YOU"  and draw hearts, X's and O's, and squiggles with squeeze ketchup.  I wish I could find a picture of one I did in the past! 
beachbride
by on Jan. 5, 2008 at 6:12 PM
I don't have any ideas yet, but I would love to have something for my DD to give to DH since this is their first v-day as daughter & dad. As for me...I do the 14 days of Valentines. I make little bags of candy and put them in their lunchboxes every day starting on Feb 1st. I write a little note telling them 1 thing I love about them and attach it to the little bags of candy. They both loved them last year and kept every little note, so I plan on doing it again this year.
mylittleabby
by on Jan. 5, 2008 at 8:35 PM
I don't really have any ideas that I have come up with yet so I am still looking for some.  I love the first response about the meatloaf.  My husband would love that!!
matsi133
by on Jan. 5, 2008 at 8:46 PM
I usually take a toilet paper roll one day and we make a little cupid. Color hearts, string them together with cardboard on the back of each heart to make them more solid, then hang them from a hanger decorated with valentine's day colors. Decorate the house with pictures of valentine's day stuff along with stuff we get at the store to make it more festive.

Also she makes stuff for the grandparents. Last year making a pencil holder she decorated by herself after we wrapped it in construction paper together. Grandma still has it. this year making candy packaged gifts (sugar free) for the family. Many are now diabetic.

I get ideas from dltk-kids.com and http://www.first-school.ws/
ThaMCE
by on Jan. 6, 2008 at 8:38 PM
I am!!!

I had a great craft My DD and I did last year and we're planning on doing it again!

I made lollipop heart flowers. They are sooo cute! I wanted an inexpensive alternative to regular old commercialized cards, so I looked up some crafts on www.marthastewart.com (gotta love that lady!)

I used construction paper (you can also use cardstock) and folded it in 1/2 lengthwise. Cut down the middle and fold your 2 halves again. You should have enough to cut out 4 heart shapes per 1/2 paper. Write the "To" and "From" names at this point.

Get a hole punch that punches out the really small holes (I think they're 1/8" holes). Punch the holes on the pointed end of the heart.

I bought a big bag of Dum Dum pops (about $3), and each flower uses 4 of the hearts(in a North, South, East, West fashion). And put the stick through the holes.  

This was such a fun and cheap idea. I also was happy to give a candy this year. When I was a kid, I always wished I could do that...

Need any other ideas? Lemme know.

Michaella
daiseysmom
by on Jan. 6, 2008 at 9:40 PM
Cute! I think I'll do this for my daughter's class! Thanks for sharing!
Quoting ThaMCE:

I am!!!

I had a great craft My DD and I did last year and we're planning on doing it again!

I made lollipop heart flowers. They are sooo cute! I wanted an inexpensive alternative to regular old commercialized cards, so I looked up some crafts on www.marthastewart.com (gotta love that lady!)

I used construction paper (you can also use cardstock) and folded it in 1/2 lengthwise. Cut down the middle and fold your 2 halves again. You should have enough to cut out 4 heart shapes per 1/2 paper. Write the "To" and "From" names at this point.

Get a hole punch that punches out the really small holes (I think they're 1/8" holes). Punch the holes on the pointed end of the heart.

I bought a big bag of Dum Dum pops (about $3), and each flower uses 4 of the hearts(in a North, South, East, West fashion). And put the stick through the holes.  

This was such a fun and cheap idea. I also was happy to give a candy this year. When I was a kid, I always wished I could do that...

Need any other ideas? Lemme know.

Michaella
dancingn27
by on Jan. 7, 2008 at 9:32 PM
LOVE the lollipop idea. I am a very visual person so I had to find it and look at it. Thought I would post it too:

Heart-and-Lollipop Flowers
With just a little TLC, colorful hearts flourish as the petals of a new flower variety --one with a lollipop center and stem.

1. Use card stock to make a half-heart template about 3 inches high and 1 1/4 inches wide. Fold a 12-by-3 1/2-inch piece of construction paper in half vertically, and trace four half-hearts along the fold.

2. Cut out hearts; unfold.

3. Stack hearts; punch a hole 1/4 inch up from bottom. Position petals to form a flower, making sure holes line up. Secure by applying glue around holes; let dry. Write name on a petal. Insert lollipop.

ThaMCE
by on Jan. 7, 2008 at 9:39 PM
Yeah, I thought I described them pretty well, thanks for finding the directions! The pictures help, lol...
CJPenguin
by on Jan. 8, 2008 at 4:41 AM
For Valentines day I make

1) a heart shaped cherry pie in the heart shaped cake pan
2) heart shaped decorated cookies
3) put heart candies on my kids morning oatmeal, sometimes red hots
4) placecards on the dinner table made out of paper hearts with hand written notes to each one of my kids

5)  Nothing for hubby since he doesn't believe he should have to tell someone he loves them just because the card companies tell him so.  He breaks my heart every year.   Thank God for my children!
doubleamom
by on Jan. 8, 2008 at 8:24 AM
I did picture frames. You just need a white picture frame, hot glue gun and glue sticks, and conversation hearts. Just glue the hearts all the way around the edges of the frame and voila! So super easy.

Amie
Avon Independent Sales Representative
www.youravon.com/ablumm
Come visit my site for a wonderful shopping experience!!
Free rep. delivery for anyone in the Hendersonville, NC area!!

http://www.momurl.com/PeddlersKitchenAmie/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)