Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shower Favors & Centerpieces

Posted by   + Show Post
My daughter is getting married in October and I'm looking for ideas for centerpieces and favors for the shower.  She is my fourth daughter to get married and I'm running out of ideas.  HELP!  Pat
by on Jan. 16, 2008 at 1:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
Kerri452
by on Jan. 18, 2008 at 2:34 PM
My Daughter is also getting Married in October ! & My son is getting Married in March! My son & his girlfriend are having a Spring wedding Theme. & my Daughter is having a Fall Theme! Its been really fun helping plan these! My daughter & I are having the same problem! We like lots of things just cant seem to decide on one! She likes the Mum idea, candle ideas, pumpkin ideas, her colors are Fall colors Brown,Gold,yellow,burnt orange,green,burgundy. she wants Ivory Table cloths to the floor and chair covers in Ivory, And a sheer over lay on the tables in Gold, & Brown. Like one in gold and one in brown through the room. the ones she has picked have vines and leaves on them really pretty. So any help?
Rileys_Mom07
by on Jan. 18, 2008 at 4:02 PM
What are her colors and or theme?
boncork
by on Jan. 19, 2008 at 12:42 PM
We did actual little wedding cakes. You can decorate them many different ways. We ate them and people loved taking home the mini cakes that were left. So cute and elegant.
derricksmama410
by on Jan. 19, 2008 at 1:25 PM
I went to a friends wedding, and her favors were little bags with their initials on it filled with conversation hearts. Their centerpieces were plastic champagne fluits with roses inside. The bottom of them had hearts.

Heather&Derrick

"Don't be afraid. Whatever you got, show. Flaunt your personality, let them know your flow." -311

jandjsmom71
by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 8:41 AM

Quoting Zobug07:

i'm getting married in march. for the center pieces, i got my idea from www.theknot.com  i'm doing fish bowls with hydrangea and spanish moss. for favors we went to thrift stores and got tea cups, we are getting these: www.rariteas.com  and wrapping them in tulle.

good luck!
theknot has some great ideas!

The idea sounds nice but I pray that nobody that is attending your reception is allergic to mold because the Spanish Moss will really do a number on them.  I can't even be around fake flowers that have Spanish Moss in them becuase I get a rash from head to toe just from being in the room with them.
lakotakat
by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 6:45 PM
I made a "Wedding Castle Gift Card Box" for my favorite niece a couple of years ago...  Her wedding was done all in a "Cinderella/Princess" theme, and the colors/flowers/lace/ribbons, etc. all were coordinated specifically to her wedding.  I used 3 hexagon paper mache boxes, with the middle covers cut open and all glued together, and then glued to a hand-shaped foam board.  I used wooden 1" balls as feet glued to the bottom of the foam board.  I also created a large dark purple cardboard "backdrop" with glittery star stickers, to finish.

The "total" box was quite large - all together it was over 28" tall and 19" wide.   It had over 20 battery powered lights (2 at the door and the rest hidden in the towers behind translucent silk curtains and amongst the flowers).  I used a large feather "boa" to symbolize "clouds" and there was a  "Cinderella-style" coach (actually a table placeholder) "parked" in the driveway...  Even used "Cinderella" stickers - a little glass slipper on a pillow behind the carriage and the saying, "A Dream is a WIsh Your Heart Makes..." over the doorway.

It was a job, but thankfully it was really appreciated!

Lately I've have been kept busy making some with "heart" boxes and maribu feathers; sometimes I add the battery-powered lights and/or flowers...  It all depends on what people want.

For October (Halloween) - I would suggest you use some kind of theme like a fall "basket of leaves" gift card box, for starters...  or a black cat perched on a big box (brick pillar) or try to find some "pumpkin-shaped" paper mache boxes;  If you wanted to use a "princess" theme, you could make a big round box into a "Cinderella's Coach!"    For favors, use candy trick-or-treat gift bags filled with candy, and leaves scattered across the tables/mounded into baskets...
Good luck and have fun!! 

###-----------> Kathy
melinbean
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 5:01 AM
Congratulations!

My mom made our centerpieces.

My husband and I met over hermit crabs, so that was incorportated into everything. We made our invitations and I drew hermit crabs on them and then we put them in cellophane with tiny shells and a 1/2 tbl spoon of sand, we had little tiny semi precious stones in there too.

So, my mom got the fish bowls from walmart, they were very inexpensive, and she put sand in the bottom, shells in the sand and some glass hermit crabs, she put a white candle in each. They were quite inexpensive and people took them home at the end of the night.

Our florist suggested floating flowers, she had some kind of greenery that stayed in the water and then put one or two flowers floating on the top for a little burst of color. It would only be about $300 more for all of the flowers, that was for about 30 tables. Mom had already purchased the sand and candles so we didn't change to flowers.

There are all kinds of colored sands you can get too, and then it's not so much a beachy or hermit crab theme.

We bought sand from a teacher's supply store. It was a bit cheaper than craft stores.

Have fun!

mommieof5girlz
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:22 PM

I'm a wedding planner and I'm also getting married in June. For my pew markers I'm taking decorative pails and tying them to the pews with tulle and filling them with candles and flowers. For the centerpeices I'm taking decorative pails and planting wheat grass in them 3 weeks before the wedding. The day of the wedding I will stick a few fresh flowers into them. For the favors I am buying inexpensive flowerpots and planting some inexpensive flowers (like petunias) in them and favors for the kiddies will be oversized lolipops in the wedding colors (green and pink) stuck into a flowerpot and held secure with floral foam. For the wedding send-off we are filling buckets with sparklers and attaching a ribbon.

I have also made pomanders (kissing balls) for the older flowergirls and I am decorating a wagon with tulle and flower garland for the younger ones to ride in.

These are not the ones that I made but are similar. I will post mine when I get around to taking some pics of them.

mom-n-michaela
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 11:15 AM

I was going to make a suggestion similar to this...it was something I recently saw on someone's blog - but they made these gorgeous sugar cookies, and bought those huge vase-like martini glasses you can find at craft stores (martini because they work the best for this I would guess, better than the brandy glass or wine glass ones). They arranged the cookies in the martini glasses and used them as centerpieces with pretty ribbon on the stem, then everyone got to take home cookies as their favor, so it did double duty. It gave some height to the tables and was just really pretty. You could also take it a step further and also add in some handmade chocolates in whatever shapes you wish. Actually what I would do is make handmade chocolates shaped like martini glasses, put them in little favor baggies and put them at each place to coordinate with the centerpiece/favor.

Quoting urbpro:

I don't have a photo, but for my friends wedding reception we borrowed 10 clear glass cake stands from friends and relatives and baked dozens of sugar cookies and cupcakes. We iced everything with white icing and silver sprinkles and arranged them really pretty on the cakes stands with silver curling ribbon and confetti all around. At the end of the evening, everyone got a silver chinese takeout box (we found them at Party City) and got to choose a cupcake or cookie as their favor. It was a big hit and everyone was happy to go home with the treats they had been eyeing all night! lol!

moonspell1
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN