Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

old bridesmaid dresses

Posted by   + Show Post
What do you do with them?  Anyone repurpose them or just give them to goodwill?  I would like to use the fabric to repurpose them.  Seems like such a waste.  Any inspiration would be helpful.
by on Jan. 26, 2008 at 7:37 PM
Replies (21-24):
barmelino
by on Mar. 28, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Quoting danyelle3:

ive heard of people using thier wedding dress to make a dedication/bastism dress or such for their babies.
i dunno about bridesmaids dress....i have several prom dresses and such a cant seem to toss. so i want ideas too!

I just made my daughter's baptismal gown out of my wedding dress.... it was absolutely perfect. Unfortunately I don't have very many skills in the sewing department so as long a you don't look toooooo close it came out awesome. It did make the day a little more special.

I'm thinking about taking some of the bridesmaids gowns from this past summer (I was in 5 weddings) and making some dresses for my daughter..... I just don't know yet!!!!

MamaOfB
by on Mar. 28, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Donated them to a mission for the girls to have formals for their version of prom.

Ladybu6205_1969
by on Mar. 28, 2009 at 11:13 PM

That makes me think about my Sr. Prom dress... My step-sister was asked late to go to her prom and they could not find a dress to fit her... well, I was about 6 inches taller than she was, and she had alot bigger breasts than me...  So, my mom had someone alter the dress and they took 6 or so inches from the bottom, and added about 3" on each side of the dress from the bottom piece they cut off to make it fit her larger chest size...LOL  No way I would ever be able to wear that dress again... not that I wanted too. I didn't really like it all that much, but was a last minute purchase for me too...LOL.

Lisa

Quoting Ezranight:

I had a prom and homecoming dress, well, 2 of them, but I gave them to a girl from the local school who didn't have the money for one...problem was, that she was about 2 sizes bigger than the dresses...but her mom took the back out of one of the dresses, and put a lace up back on it, and let me say, for not being the right size, it looked great when they got done with it...

cindywil1979
by on Apr. 1, 2009 at 5:48 AM

If you are into sewing...how about using the material to make little dresses out of the material and letting your kids or grandkids play dress-up with them...or donate the little dresses to your local childcare center...or take them to your local outreach center to be given to little girls whose families can't afford to buy play dresses or nice dresses for church, etc. 

Could also make purses out of the material..I will try to attach a pic I plan on using to make purses from using my son's old Army uniforms ...you could do the same with old dress material and embellish with ribbon, beads, buttons, etc

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)