Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need ideas for sweet 16 parties

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2008 at 3:56 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 649 Total Views
My daughter and my "adopted" daughter will both turn 16 soon. One in May and one in July. I need some ideas to make this a memorable birthday for them.
by on Mar. 2, 2008 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Scrapping
by on Mar. 3, 2008 at 8:05 AM

My daughter is going to be 16 in July too but doesn't want a big party, just a few friends over so I've been thinking about how I could make it a special day.  I'm going to send her flowers that day from her Dad and I.  She's never had flowers delivered to the house.  I'm still racking my brain for more ideas.

"Strangers are just Friends waiting to happen"
3kidmommy
by on Mar. 3, 2008 at 12:04 PM

How exciting!!! I loved my 16th birthday!  My mom and dad sent flowers to my school.... I thought that was something ;)   Then my mom bought stuff for my friends and I to do a at home makeover.... well basically we put fake color on our hair, painted nails, rolled hair up in curlers, rented girly movies....ya know... i guess that would be a slumber party ....lol.  But she made it feel like that day was the day I became a young lady and did lady type of things... I don't know .... All i know is I had a great time....lol

www.deliveringonthepromise.com/40579590

auntietotty
by on Mar. 3, 2008 at 12:08 PM
Depending on what the girls are into....but you could make it like an old fashioned sweet 16 party...like in the 50s! Thats the first thing that comes to mind. Kinda like a malt shop/sock hop theme....have signs up..."Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen"....kinda a pink theme.

frostyone77
by on Mar. 3, 2008 at 1:38 PM
I think a "spa" day would be fun depending on how many girls you have. you could do mani/pedi's, facial's, have sparkling cider (like grown ups). You could limit the # of girls and go to a hotel with a pool and order pizza and do it there. I noticed that one of my local hotels had a package deal for something like this. but I have no idea how much it would cost.

I think it's CRAZY to go overboard like they do on that MTV show. Save that money for her wedding!

has she had any input on themes?

Visit My Group! Michiana Crafters and Scrappers

ajsmom
by on Mar. 3, 2008 at 1:46 PM
a friend of mine just did a party for her daughter, she's 13. 
anywhoo, she rented a hotel room, the hotel had an indoor pool, and borrowed prom/bridesmaid dresses and jewelry, got hair stuff and makeup.  so when the girls got there they got dressed up and did their hair and makeup went to the lobby and made pictures.  Then they went to dinner (still dressed up) and after they swam for awhile.  Finally about midnight they went and rolled their friends houses. she said they finally went to bed about 2 am.  The best part was she didn't have to clean her house before and after the party lol.

Moultonmom
by on Mar. 4, 2008 at 5:33 PM
I just had a party for my son (16).
We had a hall, and 4 TVs with video games (guitar hero and such). The cake was his drivers license.
For girls I would go CRAZY!!!  Maybe you could find someone to do mani/pedi's for a group of their friends. Girls like to dance, so maybe get a small hall (or garage if your lucky...LOL) and get a DJ and let them have friends over.
I hope some of this helps.
YuppyMom
by on Mar. 4, 2008 at 5:36 PM
When the time comes for my daughter, we intend to do a nice Sweet 16 formal party.  It will be kind of like a small wedding reception--maybe 100-150 guests, entertainment, meal at a manor or banquet hall with lots of dancing, etc.  We'll probably do "semi formal" as many adults won't want to come truly FORMAL but I am sure the girls will:)  I already browse through catalogs and websites looking at formal gowns thinking about her Sweet 16. LOL  We may do a limo for her and her closest friends and one for us and her grandparents (my parents)/.
tearsofamother
by on Mar. 6, 2008 at 6:48 PM
Ask her what she wants,take it from there,throw your own ideas in after you hear hers,thats an important day for her....
amytoo
by on Mar. 18, 2009 at 7:50 AM

We did a movie theme for my daughter party back in January. Amy

Linkat2000
by on Mar. 19, 2009 at 8:17 AM

For my 16th, my parents took my friends and I out to a restaurant for dinner.  I think it would be a cute idea to get all dressed up (like they were going to prom) or something.  You could even go get the two girls (and you) a mani/pedi before.  How much fun! 

Lindsay Wilson

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)