Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Haunted House Halloween Birthday Party Ideas

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2008 at 12:50 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 1753 Total Views

My daughter was born October 16, so this year she says that she wants a Halloween Birthday Party. She wants a Haunted house in my garage. Has anyone done this before? Any suggestions?

by on Aug. 9, 2008 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mysixpack
by on Aug. 9, 2008 at 1:13 PM

It's a really fun party to do. You need lots of fog machines-black lights and costumes. I always do a fear factor style. Go to your local fishing store(or pet store) and buy meal worms, worms, cricket and whatever else they have. One year they had crawdads. You show them the yucky stuff and them blindfold them. Make food similiar to these creatures and have them put their hands in it or dare them to eat a real meal worm(it wont hurt them). We play "hot potato" with glow sticks in the dark. The kids love it.I also took jars and filled them with "bloody water" Octopus(which you can buy) and other creatures.

To make the actual haunted house buy lots of Old sheets(goodwill, garage sale) or they have black table cloths(plastic) for 1$ at most stores. Use them to create walkways. Hire older kids to jump out at them.

I could go on for days with this type of party. They have been by far my favorite and I have kids that still com up to me 8 years later and they remember the ones they came too.

msunderstood
by on Aug. 9, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Halloween is my favorite holiday!  We have had a party for the last 29 years and it is too much fun to decorate!  How old is your daughter?  That makes a difference in some of the decorations, etc.  Most of the effects you can produce can be done inexpensively and still look impressive! 

SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Aug. 9, 2008 at 1:39 PM

We had a toddler Halloween party last year.  The only thing we did I can think of for older kids is the mummy wrap game with TP.  Divide the kids into several teams, have one as the mummy and the others wrap them in TP....it's a race.

miranda_doobie
by on Aug. 9, 2008 at 9:18 PM

My daughter is going to be 10 but I am not too worried about her because last year I took her to the groosomist haunted house that I have ever been to.

witchywoman505
by on Aug. 9, 2008 at 9:31 PM

As a snack, and yes I know this is gross, mix a container of nacho cheese with green food coloring and serve it with pretzel sticks. Let the kids just dip there pretzels in the cheese dip, and they have boogers on a stick! It looks awful and nasty but the kids love it!

msunderstood
by on Aug. 10, 2008 at 1:17 AM

Start looking online or at Party city for "screaming" mats--they are just what the name implies!  They look like a door mat, but when you step on them, they scream.  Place one or more on the floor of the garage and cover them up with leaves or a regular rug.  Makes the kids jump every time--ha, ha!!!!  (Adults, too...).  Strobe lights hung over "dismembered body parts" is a big hit (have someone jump out cranking a chain saw with the chain removed--Buwahahahaha!!)  A cauldron with dry ice is fun--just make sure noone actually touches the dry ice with their flesh.  Go to the everything for a buck store and buy some cheesy masks.  Blow up a balloon and double stick tape the mask to the balloon (so the mask has some roundness to it), then hang them with fishing line at various heights from the garage ceiling to make disembodied heads that seem to float.  One year, we made "the cave of enlightenment".  Ok, it was really a cardboard box that we lined with black plastic and fake cobwebs.  We painted the outside to look like rock.  I took a piece of foam rubber and covered it with fake leaves then sprinkled fake bugs  over it to make the floor to the cave.  The guests had to crawl across the floor, alone into the cave.  There was one red nightlight illuminating a mirror in there. Just as they got to the mirror, they crawled onto a screaming mat. Scared the Boogers out of them!!!  I could go on for weeks with these, but you get the idea.  Cheap, cheesy fun!!!!

maggie13
by on Aug. 10, 2008 at 6:15 PM

When I was about 13, I got to make a haunted house in the girl scout hut. One thing I did was to take a black garbage bag and fill it with cooled cooked spaghetti....lovingly known as the guts walk...yep, made kids walk over the bag. I also did the peeled grapes in a bowl. I also did a room with a table covered in a white sheet and applied red paint to look like blood, had a wig head form on the table with the red fake blood coming out of it (oh she had a fake wig on too), and had someone act as if they were the victim and the mad surgeon. One wig head form was in another area (all areas where divided by sheets) tangling from a rope.

When I got older, we through a party and had those fake cobwebs hanging from every place we could. Nothing like a cardboard coffin with a person laying inside.

You should check www.orientaltrading.com  they have some cool stuff you can create a room and all you have to do is apply them to the walls and floors. I love getting things from them. They are reasonably priced as well.

Irelyn
by on Aug. 10, 2008 at 6:20 PM

The spaghetti and peeled grapes went over great at a party I had for my older girls, we bought cheap white sheets and hung them up and spray painted with glow in the dark paint and put up black lights, also we did the traditional bobbing for apples. We had the punch like above, if you google Halloween recipes you should get a lot of fun things to make.

maggie13
by on Aug. 11, 2008 at 9:29 PM

You know there are so many cool ideas for food too...my nephew liked the graveyard jello pudding with its gummy worms. We also did hotdog mummies: hotdogs wrapped with crescent rolls.

For the garage if you have concrete, you can get glow-in-the-dark chalk. You can make outlines of your daughter...you know like they do at murder scenes. When my kid sister had one, we found TSP glowed but it is not a healthy thing to have around kids. Just remember to keep lights on before the party so the glow lasts long.

Nothing beats FOG. Dry Ice but with some water and out of reach of people is a good thing.

With paint and cardboard, you can make tombstones and other scenes.

Old clothes can be used to make headless people...you just stuff them with towels or old clothes. To make hands, use mittens and rubber bands, slip them in to long sleeve shirts and then tie them on with more rubberbands. You can do the same thing with socks and shoes. For the headless part, stuff shirt to the top and place a piece of fabric over the area; or just stuff the shirt with a pillow wrapped in a pillow case.

Rubber gloves can be used to make THING (sort of) and place the hand in anything from a bowl of food to whatever you thing is a cool place.

Jello makes good guts as well.

Mysixpack
by on Aug. 12, 2008 at 10:51 AM

I usually do nacho cheese and lable it pumpkin guts(the kids love nachos). I make octopus hotdogs and put them on a big pile of top ramen noodles. I always make the finger cookies. Mine actually look better then these-I couldn't find my picture. I also make some tombstone brownies, jello molds(in brain shapes), and whatever looks like halloween. The kids always enjoy it! The punch I put in my first response actually foams up when you add the sugar.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN