Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Halloween costume ideas

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2008 at 4:17 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 3523 Total Views

Last year I made my daughter a lamb costume and I am stuck for what I will make this year. I was originally thinking a hershey kiss but would'nt know where to begin- or maybe some kind of animal again. Any ideas?

by on Aug. 21, 2008 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TAG_ur_it
by on Aug. 21, 2008 at 4:25 PM

mine is only 6 months old. 8 months by Halloween. i'm making her either a fairy or a ballerina. idk what DS wants to be yet. i'll wait til early october to ask him because he changes his mind so much. the lamb is adorable though. honestly i would go to walmart and browse thier pattern catalogs for ideas. they have TONS to choose from. also you can check out mccalls.com and joannfabrics and check out their online patterns.

mandyliz
by on Aug. 21, 2008 at 4:38 PM

I made the lamb costume simply by hot gluing cotton balls all over a hoodie and pants set and using pink ribbons as the ears... then I saw this...

Lion Costume

I would love to make this the same way I made the lamb costume since I can't sew and don't have a sewing machine. This is made from fur yarn and all sewed together using a pattern. Anyway- any idea on how I could make this the same way I made the lamb costume? Maybe with this yarn or a different kind of material?

sburst
by on Aug. 21, 2008 at 9:34 PM

Quoting mandyliz:

I made the lamb costume simply by hot gluing cotton balls all over a hoodie and pants set and using pink ribbons as the ears... then I saw this...

Lion Costume

I would love to make this the same way I made the lamb costume since I can't sew and don't have a sewing machine. This is made from fur yarn and all sewed together using a pattern. Anyway- any idea on how I could make this the same way I made the lamb costume? Maybe with this yarn or a different kind of material?

OMG SOOOO CUTE!!!

babykist
by on Aug. 21, 2008 at 9:57 PM

You said that you don't sew but I think you could do this. Go to a fabric store and find fabric that you like. Go to a craft store and find a boa that is not made of feathers but is just fuzzy and brown or black. Find a cheap hoody and sweat pants. Use the sweat pants and hoody as a pattern for the fur fabric. Cut it out and hot glue it onto the sweat pants and hoody. Glue the boa onto the hood of the hoody. It won't look as polished as the one in the photo. You can only achieve that by sewing it together, but you can get it darn close depending on how skilled you are at cutting and glueing. Remember that sweats are stretchy so you will have to acomodate that when you are cutting. I have not tried this exactly but I sew and make things without store bought patterns all the time and I've used glue and boas for many costumes that have won many contests. Hope this helps. I'm sure others have better ideas but there you go, that's mine. Good luck!

Lion Costume

MegaMamaTX
by on Aug. 22, 2008 at 10:14 AM

My sister is super crafty and she made my niece a dog costume when she was about 5 y.o. She started with a set of sweats and painted black spots on it like a dalmation. She sewed on some black felt 'ears' and a stuffed black felt fube for the tail and viola!  Instant pup!

Just an idea.... 

mandyliz
by on Aug. 22, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Love that idea. Maybe I will try it. What kind of fabric do you think I should use? Maybe felt?

Quoting babykist:

You said that you don't sew but I think you could do this. Go to a fabric store and find fabric that you like. Go to a craft store and find a boa that is not made of feathers but is just fuzzy and brown or black. Find a cheap hoody and sweat pants. Use the sweat pants and hoody as a pattern for the fur fabric. Cut it out and hot glue it onto the sweat pants and hoody. Glue the boa onto the hood of the hoody. It won't look as polished as the one in the photo. You can only achieve that by sewing it together, but you can get it darn close depending on how skilled you are at cutting and glueing. Remember that sweats are stretchy so you will have to acomodate that when you are cutting. I have not tried this exactly but I sew and make things without store bought patterns all the time and I've used glue and boas for many costumes that have won many contests. Hope this helps. I'm sure others have better ideas but there you go, that's mine. Good luck!

Lion Costume

mybabiesRmywrld
by on Aug. 22, 2008 at 4:34 PM

I am making my daughter a poodle skirt and then getting my son a leather jacket.  They are going to be from the 50's!!!  I am so excited!!!  Good luck!

babykist
by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 11:38 AM

There are plenty of fabrics that would work, like fleece, but I think the foux fur would look the best.

babykist
by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Sooo Cute!!

Quoting mybabiesRmywrld:

I am making my daughter a poodle skirt and then getting my son a leather jacket.  They are going to be from the 50's!!!  I am so excited!!!  Good luck!

mandyliz
by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Could I get the foux fur at a craft store? I wonder if I would have to order things off the net? What do you think?

Quoting babykist:

There are plenty of fabrics that would work, like fleece, but I think the foux fur would look the best.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN